lets see them motorcycles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
421b155594353541105ec034925fc0ff.jpg
Just got a 2008 Victory Vegas with 19,500 miles, 100 ci, six speed. Haven’t even rode it yet. Snow here and waiting to get plates and insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so im sitting fishing on the banks of Powlett river and i hear a vvbbbrrr approaching my ears prick up and my brain says,, son thats your old z650 - 4 into one pipes from 37 years ago.. The owner of course a top bloke & i yakked and yakked about how it was better bike than the Z9 and could beat Dukes on bends.. He even offered me a ride but as was on 2 k of dirt marbles i said prolly not a good idea but very very kind.

thumbnail_IMG_20190517_152439.jpg

Just gave up riding a suzuki 1200 bandit, but here’s my last bike. Staying true blue to the big H. My ‘84/250wr husky. My favorite ride was a husky cr390.

Attachments

• 5C6E50B7-56B1-40BE-BFB7-05491FA80029.jpeg
    5C6E50B7-56B1-40BE-BFB7-05491FA80029.jpeg
    670.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 87E424A8-A4D9-4CA1-9ADB-AFB8265B36BD.jpeg
    87E424A8-A4D9-4CA1-9ADB-AFB8265B36BD.jpeg
    635.3 KB · Views: 11
  • A72935BA-61C4-42FA-8D58-FBEC2364ABD5.jpeg
    A72935BA-61C4-42FA-8D58-FBEC2364ABD5.jpeg
    655.2 KB · Views: 11
This has been on the lift too long..
1972 Norton 750 Combat
The list of things left to finish is real short and down to tightening things and timing. Also, the tank and side covers haven't been painted.
View attachment 737500

Norton’s, matchless, Vincent, there’s a class of there own. I believe Vincent still holds some record breaking times to this day. I like anything that’s European.

I love speed. I wrung out the retuned 1200 bandit one day she hit 155 mph and still had some twisted left. Back when I was crazy on a bike, seen the blue lights in the review and hit the warp drive. I had to give it up I found myself going faster and faster. I did retune the detuned 1100 gixer engine it had. What a work of art I could do anything on that bike. I’m lucky I’m here today.

This has been on the lift too long..
1972 Norton 750 Combat
The list of things left to finish is real short and down to tightening things and timing. Also, the tank and side covers haven't been painted.
View attachment 737500

been in the motor? had a combat myself, among 7 750s, 69-72. what is the front brake?

Just gave up riding a suzuki 1200 bandit, but here’s my last bike. Staying true blue to the big H. My ‘84/250wr husky. My favorite ride was a husky cr390.

my fav h was 74 400cr. had 73 250cr, too.
had 1200 bandit. wheelie good bike. like suz for japbikes. had few more, street & dirt.

been in the motor? had a combat myself, among 7 750s, 69-72. what is the front brake?

Looks like a brembo/ducati 748r/998 320mm rotor, caliper looks maybe tokico/busa?
I've done a bunch of those type brake conversions, one norton roadholder and an FLH, though mostly on various ceriani's.
Can be a tight squeeze depending on the width of the trees and wheel hub, the nortons are relatively wide for the vintage.

I see a triumph 650 motor peeking out in the background there...

i used to think the 72 & later lockheeds were pretty good for the amount of rubber on road under it.
iron rotors worked better w/them, imo. triumph started chromin theirs. much better once the chrome got worn thru.
the 70 sporty drums are takin some gettin used to... the pre 72 tls drum on nortons were ok.

The Norton front disc was pretty weak. Chrome surface was too slick, master cylinder was too large (5/8) and hoses were flexy.
I corrected all these and now have a good front brake. Gotta be a mechanic to own a British bike.
BB
Don’t get me started, I’m a classic Triumph owner! Smiths gauges, Lucas electrics, Amal carbs, if you don’t like twisting wrenches, you don’t ride!:confused:

okaaaay! Let's see yer bikes. Well, after many decades out of the saddle I purchased a motorcycle a couple months ago. It's an '81 Yamaha virago xv750. For a while now I've been experiencing something that must be sorta like a guy's mid life crisis - except maybe mine is a senior life crisis. I'm the third owner of the bike and the odometer says 7100 miles. I plan on upgrading anything and everything that might fail due to age - the bike is basically an antique. The second owner sold it to me for what he had invested in it in parts. New tires, brand new mikuni carbs, and new battery. After the new carbs were installed at a bike shop it still didn't run right according to the receipt. Second owner was fiddling with different size jets and then gave up on the project, giving me a small plastic bag full of different size jets for the mikunis. Bike has good compression. If I get it going, and if it seems like I can still handle a motorcycle ok, I'll ride it. If not, I'm still enjoying the process of leisurely working on a motorcycle and customizing it to suit my needs of puttin' around in the mountains. Before I bought the xv750, I was lusting after a Honda blackbird, a fantasy bike for me some years ago. Wiser minds told me to stay away from heavy sport bikes until I get all my skills back. If I'm no longer feeling confident on a bike like I was in the 70's, I'll ultimately sell this thing I reckon. But in the meantime I'm having fun fiddling with it and learning how the bike works mechanically.

004e.jpg

After two knee operations, For my midlife crisis I took out a $20 k loan to buy a harley. Being very frugal I couldn’t spend $20 k on one ride. I purchased the new 99 suzuki 1200 bandit for $5,999, a Polaris 400L quad $4,000 and a new 99 Husqvarna 250wr street legal two stroke dirtbike for $5,000. I put 25 k miles on the bandit. About 2.5 k miles on the quad, and about 1.5 k miles on the dirtbike all in the first year. Ride it like you stole it.

my fav h was 74 400cr. had 73 250cr, too.
had 1200 bandit. wheelie good bike. like suz for japbikes. had few more, street & dirt.

sorry for slow response..

Yes, motor has been gone through .. super blends installed.. went with a Johnson flat track cam to get a bit more mid-range .. don't think i really need the top end as much as a bit more grunt. i have an 850 as well and it just pulls.. i'm told the 750 needs to wind up a bit sooo...

The brake is by a guy named Pender .. aka Madass .. he's making them is in the Philippines .. He also bought the rights to the Lansdowne (sp) front suspension from the widow of the inventor in England. A buddy has the Lansdowne kit and loves it so i thought I'd grab that as well. The kit has changed slightly .. no lower leg.. less $.

this is a review from 2013 on it..

https://www.accessnorton.com/NortonCommando/reviewing-madasss-new-single-disc.14149/

offering has changed a bit. the kit has the master, caliper, SS line, and a fender stay bent to accommodate the 6 pot caliper. The lower leg is not offered any more. I think i pd abt $300 for the brake kit .. cheaper than almost any other option and my buddies that have them are very happy.. I kinda splurged on the dampeners..

http://www.tritonmotorcycleparts.com/297620485/category/146825/online-store

Lansdowne dampeners

http://www.tritonmotorcycleparts.com/297620484

Marc/fencr

also, a set of the Amal Premiers..

Back