Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beech, talk to me about splitting beech, hand splitting beech....scrounge it or let it go? Never had it, not a common tree in South London. I know its Oak like density and burns fabulously, but seem to recall reading its a tight grained tough spitter..bit of a ripper not splitter? Its doable with x27 and 8lb stihl cleave hammer? if necessary i have wedges....no..no...i hate wedges...if necessary for the odd bit I have the 365 x-torq. I got a message from my tree guy...a car load of beech with my name on it on the pile. I'm gong to ave to try it aren't I? Oh and if it makes a difference its large bough wood, not trunk.

Beech, talk to me about splitting beech, hand splitting beech....scrounge it or let it go? Never had it, not a common tree in South London. I know its Oak like density and burns fabulously, but seem to recall reading its a tight grained tough spitter..bit of a ripper not splitter? Its doable with x27 and 8lb stihl cleave hammer? if necessary i have wedges....no..no...i hate wedges...if necessary for the odd bit I have the 365 x-torq. I got a message from my tree guy...a car load of beech with my name on it on the pile. I'm gong to ave to try it aren't I? Oh and if it makes a difference its large bough wood, not trunk.
I'd go for it Neil. Beech around here is decent stuff. You can always noodle.

BTU on American Beech is right with the best oaks.

So it looks like Tuesday I'll be picking up my new scrounging truck. Found an 08 2500hd asking 7500 or best offer. The bed is rusted above the rear wheel wells but theres already talk of going aluminum flatbed so that's not a big deal to me. Best feature to me is the lever to work the t case instead of electronics.

I would use the Hydro to split Beech!

Hey, I had BFG Radial Trans Am's on my 70 Boss Mustang (I also put a 427 Ford Motor in it). With the "slapper" traction bars I was very hard to beat both straight line and in the corners!

I called it the "real" Boss Mustang. Always wanted to race a Boss 429, but could never find one out on the streets. The 429 motors were strong, but they were too long (had a large bore), so too much weight was in front of the front wheels, making them very hard to launch or corner.

I dont use a clothes dryer so my clothes are full of lint AND sawdust. My fone takes a beating. And my guns. When I fire my guns after carrying them the first shot sends a cloud of lint out of the gun. I have to clean the ports on my fone with a straitened paperclip or even better, a straitened staple.

lol :eek: sounds like a blunderbuss!

just a sec! ... gotta clean out the lint first! ~
zbb.png

I would use the Hydro to split Beech!

Hey, I had BFG Radial Trans Am's on my 70 Boss Mustang (I also put a 427 Ford Motor in it). With the "slapper" traction bars I was very hard to beat both straight line and in the corners!

I called it the "real" Boss Mustang. Always wanted to race a Boss 429, but could never find one out on the streets. The 429 motors were strong, but they were too long (had a large bore), so too much weight was in front of the front wheels, making them very hard to launch or corner.
Back when the big block A-Body Mopars came out, all the car mags said they were for straight line driving only, too nose heavy and wouldn't corner. When I bought my 68 convertible, back in 99, the ole guy had radials on it. It was unbelievable how nice that thing would take curves. If I ever get it back together I'm going with the Coker/Firestone Wide Oval Redlines.

Latest posts

Back