Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should have been the same mount, all 6 I replaced went in without any problems, just retaped to metric thread pitch. The ones you installed are for the plastic tank type if I'm not mistaken.

Steve

Yes you are right,i confused the part numbers.I dind't replace anything on my saw,i just saw this redneck fix on one of Buckin Billy Ray Smith's videos.

I've been missing out on this great Poulan thread. But I just picked these two up.
Pretty cool hotrod looking muffler on the 4900.
20190521_193137.jpg 20190521_181355.jpg
Don't know as much as I should about the 3.7/18. I know there's some differences in the piston and rings, but I'm going to have to put it on the back burner for a few weeks after I dumped the muddy varnish, along with the filter and pieces of fuel line out of the tank. Looks in not bad shape with good compression otherwise.
20190521_182609.jpg
Was wondering if you guys could tell me, the 4900, would this saw be up to the task for some light milling projects? Mainly cedar/juniper in range up to about 16", but mostly smaller. And maybe some slightly larger hardwood(elm), about two feet maybe, or whatever I might find on the side of the road on occasion.
I'd like the cedar planks for some live edge siding for a small outdoor closet. And the elm for outdoor benches and maybe a tabletop.
Don't know if this big heavy sucker'd get much use otherwise.

Just saw an listing on CL near me, guy sealing a Poulan 3400 for $80, thought that was kind of cheap considering it has a nice looking bow on it. May look into it, the bow alone is worth more than that.

Steve
I saw that vintage loop circle bar . Haha It looks like the bigger bow . Good find !

I've been missing out on this great Poulan thread. But I just picked these two up.
View attachment 737665 View attachment 737666
Don't know as much as I should about the 3.7/18. I know there's some differences in the piston and rings, but I'm going to have to put it on the back burner for a few weeks after I dumped the muddy varnish, along with the filter and pieces of fuel line out of the tank. Looks in not bad shape with good compression otherwise.
View attachment 737667
Was wondering if you guys could tell me, the 4900, would this saw be up to the task for some light milling projects? Mainly cedar/juniper in range up to about 16", but mostly smaller. And maybe some slightly larger hardwood(elm), about two feet maybe, or whatever I might find on the side of the road on occasion.
I'd like the cedar planks for some live edge siding for a small outdoor closet. And the elm for outdoor benches and maybe a tabletop.
Saw looks good but if it was me, I'd use a saw you could easily find parts for if I was milling. Parts for these are hard to find.

Steve
Forgot to add, we someone post NOS engine parts for there, it's like being in a candy store when I was a kid.

View attachment 737665 View attachment 737666
View attachment 737667
Regarding the CRaftsman 3.7. It may be the thin ring version of the POulan 3700.( chrome cylinder and bare piston) or the thick ring version of the Poulan 3800(chrome piston and bare bore. Either one is great but the 3700 version is more desirable. Pull the muffler and you'll find out quickly.

Saw looks good but if it was me, I'd use a saw you could easily find parts for if I was milling. Parts for these are hard to find.

Steve
Forgot to add, we someone post NOS engine parts for there, it's like being in a candy store when I was a kid.
Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking after I asked the question.
Been keeping an eye out for a deal on a bigger, newer saw. But nothing yet.

Regarding the CRaftsman 3.7. It may be the thin ring version of the POulan 3700.( chrome cylinder and bare piston) or the thick ring version of the Poulan 3800(chrome piston and bare bore. Either one is great but the 3700 version is more desirable. Pull the muffler and you'll find out quickly.
Ok, great.
Thanks for the reply.
Somehow I thought it was the other way around.

And the 3.7 always came with the thick rings.

I'll pull the muffler and post up some pics this weekend.

Somehow I think I still may like the 3500 better though. Feels like a much sleeker and lighter saw.
And the filter somehow looks better to me.

Yep, that’s got the thick ring 3.8 top end. I’ve got fooled by not checking. It seems that all the grey & black colored ones have the 3.8.

Don’t need to get your hands dirty with Sears Direct look up, assuming that’s the original top cover & no one’s changed the top end.

Pls keep your eyes out for a used 4200 top cover, starter, & cylinder as I’m “in need”, lol.

Yep, that’s got the thick ring 3.8 top end. I’ve got fooled by not checking. It seems that all the grey & black colored ones have the 3.8.

Don’t need to get your hands dirty with Sears Direct look up, assuming that’s the original top cover & no one’s changed the top end.

Pls keep your eyes out for a used 4200 top cover, starter, & cylinder as I’m “in need”, lol.

PM coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know. They look pretty thin to me?
20190524_191358.jpg
Piston
20190524_191817.jpg
and cylinder look pretty decent
20190524_191850.jpg
But looks like someone got a little careless with the krylon.
20190524_191914.jpg 20190524_191920.jpg 20190524_191936.jpg

Latest posts

Back