Husky 55 starter pawls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2broke2ride

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Customers saw, husky 55. Starter pawls broke off. Anyone have an idea why? Found one broken completely and the other bent over which broke off when I tried to bend it back. Motor turns over free, I just worked on this saw for the guy, new fuel lines, muffler mod, sharpen the chain and dress the bar. It was running great. I dont even think it ran long enough to dull the chain I sharpened before this happened.
This is one of his ground crew saws that goes through hell.
Dont want to just throw a used flywheel on there to have this happen again but I cant think for the life of me what would cause this.
d847b315211587053ad66c6198caf1fa.jpg
a3a5a4f95c619d3bdfadca1c17384149.jpg

I had a 55 flywheel like this last year. And if you can find pawls, spring, bolt...it's more than a used FW. I can only guess....pulley is worn in such a way that it seizes into pawls and ham fisted ground guy rips pawls to the moon? Above, 2 pulley teeth look rough.

I'm gonna pull the muffler. I'm wondering if it seized then freed up when it cooled off.

Hard to tell which went first but that pulley is going to tend to put all the load on the pawl engaged by the "good" tooth opposite the well-rounded one.
You've probably already checked the pulley and post for excessive radial and/or axial play. Barring you finding something else, I'd replace the pawls, pulley & possibly starter housing and check the user's starting technique .

I think the broken, bent pawls chewed the pulley up a little. It looks worse in the picture than it actually is. I know for a fact the starter pulley was fine when I worked on this last.

Back