Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty dang nice outside today, so after work I spent a little time filling the wood shed. A bit of a necessary evil, but the end result is satisfying.

This is some ash, birch, maple mix that's I've had split and setting outside since last summer. Should be real nice come fall.

View attachment 736167 View attachment 736168

definitely 'squared away!'

Getting a head start on making kindling for this year's burning season. Tulip Poplar, straight grain logs, splits easily. De-barked and split thin to dry quickly. This is about 10 ft³, plan to make about twice as much with what I have. The rest will become fire pit fuel for this summer.

afc1qfb.jpg

ZHTNYkv.jpg

sXZJAeK.jpg

Getting a head start on making kindling for this year's burning season. Tulip Poplar, straight grain logs, splits easily. De-barked and split thin to dry quickly. This is about 10 ft³, plan to make about twice as much with what I have. The rest will become fire pit fuel for this summer.

you are all set. nice kindling pile. I like mine a bit shorter in length. so I cut my boards, old cedar fence, a bit shorter these days. I am never out of kindling! my pines drop it daily. add in a wind, and I get even more!! when splitting the cedar... and once into the motion... I notice that what was once part of the board, that is now becoming kindling... (axe dropping thru, but still attached... once it lets go and sails off into the air... a bit of singing off the kindling's vibrations...

for outdoor use I go:

wapsed paper
some pine needles
cedar kindling
pine kindling
kitchenwood...

and then light ~

indoor same, but no pine needles!

P9140007.JPG P9140008.JPG P9140009.JPG P9140010.JPG P9140011.JPG

I'm getting closer to filling the side bays of the woodshed up.
I had the sides formed up and my neighbor who ordered the concrete said theres an extra yard coming on the truck. I knew we had given a lot of buffer and I'd have plenty for a good bit more so I added the apron, we had about 2-3 wheelbarrows worth left over, perfect.
Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.07.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-05-23 at 11.07.41 PM.png

I'm getting closer to filling the side bays of the woodshed up.
I had the sides formed up and my neighbor who ordered the concrete said theres an extra yard coming on the truck. I knew we had given a lot of buffer and I'd have plenty for a good bit more so I added the apron, we had about 2-3 wheelbarrows worth left over, perfect.
View attachment 737756 View attachment 737757

sharp! how do u plan to use it, chipper? wood on the concrete? equipment in the center? or ?

sharpened my CS-271 today and went and cut some farwood off my front area woodpile. 11 cu ft or so. close to 1/10 of a cord. with what I have and still to cut and split I am thinking a bit over 2 cords here in town in total. 2/3s or so good for indoor use, the other 1/3 or so... outdoor use.

PB010014.JPG

afc1qfb.jpg

ZHTNYkv.jpg

sXZJAeK.jpg
How do you like that dump wagon? I had one, and liked it OK, but then my MIL gave me Pop's heavy plastic JD trailer, so the black one just sat. We had 11 yards of mulch delivered to Grammy's house, and I got the wild idea to mount it on my walk behind. The two of us spread 11 yards of mulch in 5 hours with it.
S903rMG.jpg

sharp! how do u plan to use it, chipper? wood on the concrete? equipment in the center? or ?
Thanks BL.
Yes,wood on the side bays and my tractor, mower, splitter,arborist trolley in the middle. It's 12 wide(15.5' deep) In the middle which makes it easy to get the tractor in and out with the loader as well as to get the loader bucket either right in the front of the bays or a good but into the back of the bays for filling it with firewood. The sides are 6' by 15.5 each so conservatively one winter on each side 5x15x6x128=3.5 cord. I usually cut dead standing locust in the winter and split it in the woods and haul it right into the house for the coldest nights so even if I don't stack it 6' I'll have plenty, if I don't I can grab out of the big pile too.
sharpened my CS-271 today and went and cut some farwood off my front area woodpile. 11 cu ft or so. close to 1/10 of a cord. with what I have and still to cut and split I am thinking a bit over 2 cords here in town in total. 2/3s or so good for indoor use, the other 1/3 or so... outdoor use.

View attachment 737778
Nice load there, I like my wheelbarrow :).

you are all set. nice kindling pile. I like mine a bit shorter in length. so I cut my boards, old cedar fence, a bit shorter these days. I am never out of kindling! my pines drop it daily. add in a wind, and I get even more!! when splitting the cedar... and once into the motion... I notice that what was once part of the board, that is now becoming kindling... (axe dropping thru, but still attached... once it lets go and sails off into the air... a bit of singing off the kindling's vibrations...

for outdoor use I go:

wapsed paper
some pine needles
cedar kindling
pine kindling
kitchenwood...

and then light ~

indoor same, but no pine needles!

View attachment 737631 View attachment 737632 View attachment 737633 View attachment 737634 View attachment 737635

Thank you! Yeah, I'm not to picky on the size of kindling only that they are close to the same length for storing. Since we don't burn 24/7 during the winter (except on the weekend) - I tend to light a cold stove every afternoon. I prefer the old fashioned way. Start with a bed of tinder (rolled up newspaper) with some kindling pieces on top. Then smaller pieces of hardwood on top of the kindling. Light and walk away. Come back 5 minutes later and feed small splits until the cat combuster reaches operating temp, then hit the bypass and enjoy the warmth. Thin split, dry tulip poplar catches quick and burns hot and fast.

How do you like that dump wagon? I had one, and liked it OK, but then my MIL gave me Pop's heavy plastic JD trailer, so the black one just sat. We had 11 yards of mulch delivered to Grammy's house, and I got the wild idea to mount it on my walk behind. The two of us spread 11 yards of mulch in 5 hours with it.
S903rMG.jpg

I love it, it's actually a fairly recent acquisition. It's normally like $200 at TSC, but found it on sale online for $139.99 ship-to-store with $80.00 in freight charges.... making it more than the retail price. Perplexed, I took it to the nearest store with them in-stock and asked why pay the sale price to have it shipped to this store, that has them in stock, for more money? Needless to say, they agreed to honor the sale price and I walked out the door with it saving $60.00 - could not fit it in my sedan so had to run back home and hook up my 4x6 trailer to go back and get it home.

It's much larger than you think, though I can understand because some of them are very small. This one is about as wide, tall and as long as my John Deere L108 riding mower. I used it to haul large rocks down on our south hill to help fight some erosion. Definitely pushing the 1,400 lb weight limit, but it's still pretty stout. Have had multiple uses for already from spreading mulch, to moving firewood and rocks. I bought mostly for the sole purpose of moving seasoned firewood from my wood yard down to under out deck, whereas before we either had to hookup our light dump cart to the riding mower and drive it down, which wastes fuel. Plus this new cart can be pulled by hand all the way under the deck, where the mower cannot fit, otherwise you'd have to handle it twice just to move it and stack it to another spot if hauling with the mower.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...r-heavy-duty-poly-dump-cart-with-10-cu-ft-bed

Thank you! Yeah, I'm not to picky on the size of kindling only that they are close to the same length for storing. Since we don't burn 24/7 during the winter (except on the weekend) - I tend to light a cold stove every afternoon. I prefer the old fashioned way. Start with a bed of tinder (rolled up newspaper) with some kindling pieces on top. Then smaller pieces of hardwood on top of the kindling. Light and walk away. Come back 5 minutes later and feed small splits until the cat combuster reaches operating temp, then hit the bypass and enjoy the warmth. Thin split, dry tulip poplar catches quick and burns hot and fast.

I love it, it's actually a fairly recent acquisition. It's normally like $200 at TSC, but found it on sale online for $139.99 ship-to-store with $80.00 in freight charges.... making it more than the retail price. Perplexed, I took it to the nearest store with them in-stock and asked why pay the sale price to have it shipped to this store, that has them in stock, for more money? Needless to say, they agreed to honor the sale price and I walked out the door with it saving $60.00 - could not fit it in my sedan so had to run back home and hook up my 4x6 trailer to go back and get it home.

It's much larger than you think, though I can understand because some of them are very small. This one is about as wide, tall and as long as my John Deere L108 riding mower. I used it to haul large rocks down on our south hill to help fight some erosion. Definitely pushing the 1,400 lb weight limit, but it's still pretty stout. Have had multiple uses for already from spreading mulch, to moving firewood and rocks. I bought mostly for the sole purpose of moving seasoned firewood from my wood yard down to under out deck, whereas before we either had to hookup our light dump cart to the riding mower and drive it down, which wastes fuel. Plus this new cart can be pulled by hand all the way under the deck, where the mower cannot fit, otherwise you'd have to handle it twice just to move it and stack it to another spot if hauling with the mower.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...r-heavy-duty-poly-dump-cart-with-10-cu-ft-bed
I have one just like it, and love it also. I paid full price and still am very happy!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have one just like it, and love it also. I paid full price and still am very happy!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I especially like how maneuverable it is by hand, yet you can still hook it up to a riding mower or ATV. My only gripe is backing up with it on my riding mower, very tricky with the swivel front end wheel set...

Back