Where can I buy a good pair of loppers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxbow

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I see Bailey’s sells Corona brand, is anyone using these?

I need a heavy duty lopper, I use mine to cut roots when digging ditches and for pruning fruit trees. The ones I have are old and I’m afraid the wooden handles are gonna give out.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Anything Corona makes will be pretty good. Stihl loppers are good, but overpriced. Fiskars loppers are excellent and pretty cheap.

Consider doing your root pruning with an axe, and your fruit tree pruning with a good handsaw. A handsaw is actually a much better cut, faster (when sharp), it will not be nearly as slow to get into position, and it will cut much bigger wood than any lopper.

Loppers should only be used in fence-rows and near building foundations. They are the equipment you give the lawn workers because they can't be trusted with anything sharper.

I did year of forestry in New Zealand, pruning plantation pines at heights up to 6m (20') taking off every branch with loppers. The cuts all had to be collar cuts with no damage to collars, and branches were up to 2" or even a little over. We got paid $1.20/tree for each 2m of height pruned. You only prune 2m of height off a tree in one pruning, so that's $1.20 per tree.

A 200t just couldnt keep up with this work, even if it never needed sharpening, refueling or oil. The lopper we use were made by levin sawmakers of NZ. Their standard model is rated for 2 1/2" and they also make a heavier duty version rated for 3 1/2". They aren't kidding with their ratings, and I've taken branches outside of the spec on a daily basis with these loppers. They can't be broken, even by Maoris on crystal meth with arms as big as my thighs.

We were pruning 200 trees a day with these, 5 days a week and you'd easily get 5 years out of them before replacing the blades. They cost about $165, and are worth every penny. Get the leather pouch with them if you can. I've owned most types of loppers including the fiskars. The fiskars are nice and light, but they aren't anywhere near the levin loppers. Lots of people sell Levin loppers in aus, not sure about stateside.

Shaun

I bought a pair of Corona lopers locally at one of the home improvement box stores. If I recall they were about $50 and worth every penny. They are more than twice the lopers than all the other $25 pairs that I have bought and ruined over the years.

I have the fiskars power gear loppers, the biggest size one. It's good, and very light, and also reasonably priced. Probably the best value for money, and excellent for a home user. The blades are thin though, and the metal is soft so they blunt/chip easily. I've never seen anyone break them, but the handles do flex a lot. They go good on stuff up to about an inch and a half. You're pushing your luck beyond that. They wouldn't stand up to constant daily use, but great for occasional work.

Shaun

Used fiskars for 20 minutes and returned it. Cutting surface was damaged.
Bought Corona. Used for 2 years and cutting surface is still in better shape
than the fiskars.

This is an old thread, but since it has fresh content . . .
I have used Fiskars racheting anvil lopper for 2+ years of frequent heavy use pruning orchard and fighting back the jungle. The wife easily cuts through 2" branches with them. About $55 at Home Depot.
upload_2019-5-25_8-40-3.png

Latest posts

Back