Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not scrounge related but maybe you’ll get a laugh. Took wife to breakfast before we did our shopping. #1 You know you’re getting old when the music you listened to in in high school is now playing in restaurants and elevators. #2 Waitress asked if we had plans and told her we might go to a dog show. She said she would tell her niece, she loves animals. She said her niece traded hard labor for horse riding lessons at the stable. One day her niece told her she gave up on the lessons because she wasn’t good at it. She asked her niece why she wasn’t good at riding. The niece replied, “ I’m good at riding, it’s the hard labor I’m not good at.”

Not scrounge related but maybe you’ll get a laugh. Took wife to breakfast before we did our shopping. #1 You know you’re getting old when the music you listened to in in high school is now playing in restaurants and elevators. #2 Waitress asked if we had plans and told her we might go to a dog show. She said she would tell her niece, she loves animals. She said her niece traded hard labor for horse riding lessons at the stable. One day her niece told her she gave up on the lessons because she wasn’t good at it. She asked her niece why she wasn’t good at riding. The niece replied, “ I’m good at riding, it’s the hard labor I’m not good at.”

LMAO

The hard labor comment

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Thanks cantoo, I wondered about that, this dry red fir is pretty hard. Maybe I would be better off just getting a chainsaw winch to pull them to road. Just never liked skidding wood because of the dirt, our sandy soil is pretty hard on chains and I like using square ground chisel chain.
I've seen guys use a sled when winching logs uphill. Depending on diameter, they cut 5-8ft lengths and strap a few on the skid and winch it up. Keeps the logs out of the dirt and the leading edge of the sled keeps from digging in.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks cantoo, I wondered about that, this dry red fir is pretty hard. Maybe I would be better off just getting a chainsaw winch to pull them to road. Just never liked skidding wood because of the dirt, our sandy soil is pretty hard on chains and I like using square ground chisel chain.

Way back when I got serious about 'wooding' I added a tow hook to the front of my F150 2x, picked up some logging chains, snatch blocks and cables. Skidded a lot of wood with them. Rigging for a 4x advantage moved logs I wouldn't have thought possible. Then I was given a chainsaw winch. Not for me. I tried it once. I could rig up a 2x pull just as fast for my pickup and move the load way faster than the chainsaw winch could. Of course that winch was a "Rule" run by a Homey XL2.

Way back when I got serious about 'wooding' I added a tow hook to the front of my F150 2x, picked up some logging chains, snatch blocks and cables. Skidded a lot of wood with them. Rigging for a 4x advantage moved logs I wouldn't have thought possible. Then I was given a chainsaw winch. Not for me. I tried it once. I could rig up a 2x pull just as fast for my pickup and move the load way faster than the chainsaw winch could. Of course that winch was a "Rule" run by a Homey XL2.
Yeah I bought 200’ of cable and a snatch block last year to try that, the problem is their narrow one lane roads and it’s hard to do that without blocking traffic. Not lots of traffic but enough to be a problem. Thought with chainsaw winch I could hook to a tree by the road and stay out of the way, also more versatile and could skid unlimited distance. I know chainsaw winches can be a pain to use but just seemed like best option so far. Technically not supposed to “skid” the wood but I think they are more referring to driving out through the trees dragging logs.

As much as I love my 261, I would also like to kick the flipping cap engineers in the knuts. Justed filled it up to head to the bush. View attachment 735010

Yep can't say I'm a fan of the stupid bloody things either, they seem fiddly to get back in the right spot to tighten them up, I much prefer the old screw in type like what's on the 029s and 394, they never leak.

My last street car was a slightly warmed over 340 Swinger

A built 340 in a light car was very competitive on the street, I saw a few that were super good runners.

One of my friends had a 69 Chevelle, he put a built 69 Z-28 (302) engine in it with 4:56 gears and traction bars … beat almost everyone off the line and few were able to catch him.

@LondonNeil, out in the open for a couple of months would be the best place for that beech unless your shed is open. It gets mouldy with no air. Maybe move it to the shed when its dry
Cheers. It may sit about a short while until I get to bucking and splitting. The shed is just an old garden shed 8'6x 6'6 inside, door and two windows removed though so it seems to get enough air. I've filled it with fresh felled Oak before and it dries fine.

Those winches look pretty good, like the idea of unlimited rope length and not having to keep a cable going on a drum from bunching up.
What make log tongs you using?

I have a 10" Jonsered and Wetterlings plus a 12" Wetterlings .
Stay away from the Chinese junk .

I have a friend that has a one man treeco , He know's that I can get around in the woods pretty good by myself and he asked me for my thots on moving logs a couple of years ago .
I explained what I had , we discussed what he had then I recommended him the portawinch .
A year later he told me that it was one of his best purchases , he loves it .
He got the skid cone and is more than pleased , the last time we talked he was going to order the bigger pulley that speeds up line speed .
Hmm , I should call and borrow it to test :)

Back