Parts for a Husky 181SE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bg357

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need some parts for a 181SE but I only find parts catalogs for various years of 181. Was the SE a separate model, or are the parts the same for a 181 and a 181SE? Is there a way to determine the year from the serial number?

I need a new top cover, but all the top covers I’ve found are a little different than the one I have. They all look like this:
4d57445116fd7b9650b725a07462e60f.jpg

The one I have, these three molded rectangles are open holes. Are they molded in but made to be removed if desired? The cover has a molded in part number of 50 18 060. Apparently that’s been superseded by different numbers over the years, but I’ve actually found pictures of covers with the same number, but no holes in the top. What’s the deal here?

About the air filter, it has a part # 50 18 063 on it, but again I assume that number’s been superseded. Were there different filters on various 181’s, or will any filter for a 181 be fine?

Most of what I’m looking for is still available, but some things aren’t. Is there a go-to source for obsolete Husky parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a wanted add in the for sale group at the bottom here. Maybe someone has a used one or checkout eBay.? Or check your older husky dealers for old stock. Try hls too.

Hls has this,,, https://www.hlsproparts.com/searchresults.asp?Search=Husqvarna+181+top+cover

I’m runing into locating parts to restore older huskys too. The older saws are still running outlasting there parts supply.

That one has the 3 rectangles, but they’re closed. Does anyone know if you’re supposed to cut those open for a 181SE, or did they make a cover with those already open, or does it matter either way?

Maybe I need a poll of 181SE owners, does yours have three holes in the cover in that location? [emoji848]

Mine has the 060 cover... holes are closed..181se

Really there was only the 181se, no other variant of the model designation even though some references drop the se (other than possibly sg for heat).
Whether the holes are punched out or not seems to be random from what I've seen, on mine they are not.
May be something the factory recommended doing for certain conditions.

Really there was only the 181se, no other variant of the model designation even though some references drop the se (other than possibly sg for heat).

That’s interesting... so there wasn’t a straight 181? All the 181’s were the SE?

What about determining the year? The parts books are separated by years.

Any takers on the air filter question?

84-85 would have the year spelled out on the tag, 82-83 you may be out of luck.
Very early ones had a smaller main bearing on the <EDIT> flywheel side and also something about the bar pad being more prone to cracking.
AFAIK the filters should all fit but there will be different numbers at least for the different filter media types, nylon mesh or flocked.
They used the same filter as 61/266.

Very early ones had a smaller main bearing on the clutch side and also something about the bar pad being more prone to cracking.
Actually, the smaller main bearing was on the flywheel side (we all get confused sometimes).
The 181 began as a "stretched" 266 but became more and more distinct as mods were deemed to be necessary.

I think I remember about the punch-out holes in the top cover. See if this makes sense.
Originally, the main air entry point was around the throttle trigger. However, a flock air filter would get blocked fairly quickly in dirty conditions, so a boot around the trigger was added and holes in the cover opened to provide a cleaner source of air.

Back