Live Oak Trimming Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, of course Live Oaks are shallow rooted to begin with (as are most Oak Species). The root ball extends outward to compensate for this. But you are correct to advise that TOO much watering over a period of time...encourages the roots to grow toward the surface where the water is more abundant. Tree loss due to storm damage (in the OP's area) is a rare occurrence. Limb damage....yes, the tree actually uprooting..not common at all. This is owing to the soil they grow in, it is both a blessing and an curse.

Anywhere around Austin (to include Round Rock, Georgetown, Pflugerville and Westward) you have soil with a lot of Limestone in it. Anything from various size rocks to formations as big as a house. It is heavy..compacted soil and doesn't pull up easily. The OP looks to live in a fairly recent subdivision, so I would expect the soil there was mightily disturbed during construction and isn't great soil to begin with.

You go East of the OP (Hutto, Taylor, Coupland, Elgin, etc) and the soil is fantastic (traditional farmland out there). But not most places in Round Rock and certainly not Westward toward the Lakes.

Then look at what we try to do with our Lawns and Trees in the quest for that 'perfect' landscape. Oak Trees (in the wild) have and benefit from a ring of Leaf Litter around their base and out toward the drip line. This is GOOD for the Oak for a number of reasons. But this clashes with the wishes of the homeowner who wants thick, green grass growing right up to the trunk. It can be done (and is) but isn't the best thing for the tree.

Oaks are shallow rooted ...we know that. But it is important also to understand that the roots near the surface (first 6"-12") are the most 'active' roots the tree has. So the homeowner would do well to consider the needs of both the tree and anything planted underneath or near it.

If you want grass to grow under the tree...that is possible in the majority of situations, but you must have adequate soil (without smothering the tree roots), appropriate grass for your region and perform careful watering/fertilizing maintenance.

All true but I have dug 4'' live oaks that have roots as deep as 5 feet along with shallow feeder roots from just a few inches deep to several feet. The farther west you go the smaller scrub oaks are most prevalent. They tend to grow more slowly dew to soil and rainfall and temperature.
I transplanted some live oaks at my cozens ranch in Brenham around 2005 and at the same time I transplanted 40 live oaks along the perimeter of my property about 100 miles east of his ranch and my oaks are 10 times the size his is.Just that 100 miles makes a big difference in how they grow.
I loved that job, it fit me like a glove.
I have planted trees in some interesting places, If I had the time I could tell you stories of all my tree planting adventures. I was featured on the Eyes of Texas planting trees at a museum once.

Mulch the areas where the grass doesn't grow.

You are not going to get grass to grow there anyway even after the live oak is mutilated.

This.

Mulch that bugger no more than 2”-4” deep out to the drip line or just less and you won’t have to worry about the grass growing under it.

And you’ll have one bad ass live oak growing on your property.
Screw the lawn. Let the trees grow.

I am a Texas native and I have more then 40 live oaks on my property. St. Augustine will NOT grow under a live oak.

^^^^^

Actually it WILL and quite well if done correctly.

If you want to learn how then listen to some of the suggestions here. If you just want to argue or are convinced that it can not be done, then we really can't help.

Below is a pic (very typical) of what is possible. (Amerishade St. Augustine under Live Oaks much larger than yours).

Attachments

• Live Oak2.jpg
    Live Oak2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Live Oak1.jpg
    Live Oak1.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 6
There is no way that the maintenance requirements for the lush green weed free grass growing under those live oaks is good for the trees. No way. As a career arborist of over 30 years, I find the photos sickening. It is a great example of lawn worship at the expense of tree health.

There is no way that the maintenance requirements for the lush green weed free grass growing under those live oaks is good for the trees. No way. As a career arborist of over 30 years, I find the photos sickening. It is a great example of lawn worship at the expense of tree health.

Agree completely.

However the subject of this thread concerns the successful planting/growing of grass underneath a Live Oak.

Not whether it is beneficial to the tree, it is not.... (as I alluded to in a previous post).

^^^^^

Actually it WILL and quite well if done correctly.

If you want to learn how then listen to some of the suggestions here. If you just want to argue or are convinced that it can not be done, then we really can't help.

Below is a pic (very typical) of what is possible. (Amerishade St. Augustine under Live Oaks much larger than yours).

I said it can be done but it comes at a cost. Perhaps you didn't read or understand that.

Thank you all for your replies! I understand the harm in the cutting those larger limbs, and will not do that any longer.

It sound like I can work to get some grass going under the tree, if I add some topsoil. I am have been looking at a zoysia, which appears to be shade tolerant like St Augustine. If anyone has any thoughts on that topic I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you all for your replies! I understand the harm in the cutting those larger limbs, and will not do that any longer.

It sound like I can work to get some grass going under the tree, if I add some topsoil. I am have been looking at a zoysia, which appears to be shade tolerant like St Augustine. If anyone has any thoughts on that topic I would greatly appreciate it!

Zoysia will work fine...in fact I like it better than St. Augustine. There are different types of Zoysia (Palisades Zoysia) would work well for you (shade and heat tolerant). Pretty much all Zoysia species take a few seasons to become well established...just be aware.

St. Augustine (Amerishade), Zoysia and Bermuda are probably the best choices (residential) for Central Texas. All three prefer a soil PH of roughly 5.5-7.0

Take your pick but IMO...poor soil is your problem. I am very familiar with the soil types in and around the Austin area. I don't live there now but grew up there and lived there for over 40 yrs.

Prepare your soil, pick your grass, maintain it well until it is fully established and you'll have a fine lawn.

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu...loads/2013/06/RealDirtAustinAreaSoils2010.pdf

If or when you trim off any limbs make sure you leave the collar on the limb so it will heal correctly. In other words dont cut the limb off flat with the other limb. There is a ring around where the limb branches off, you must leave that rim in place for it to heal correctly.
Here is a pick of one done correctly and you can see how the cut limbs have healed up properly.

357lzjo.jpg

Here is one cut the wrong way and didn't heal up properly.

213kopy.jpg

Latest posts

Back