If you were to buy a 70 cc saw tomorrow which one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Money not an issue then a 462 or 500i... I doubt it they would be better than any of my other 70cc saws but I haven't had one yet :) The Dolkitas, shins, husky, and stihl all make a good 70cc saw... All are a little bit better at this or that but most all will be proficient up to 28" bar and pull 32 if needed on occasion. The dolkitas and shins are probably a little torquier than the rest. I like the filter better on the 757 but the 7900 is faster and has a side tensioner. Also 7900 parts are way easier to get in the states. The 757 has about the best filter of the old school saws in this class. The 372 is almost as good since it doesn't need to get cleaned as much and does such a good job. The OE372 or xpw is probably my fav 70cc saw although I like my 44/46's almost as much for diff reasons.. I have had a couple 757 and 4-7900's.... I will always have at least one 44/372 around but I never keep the shins or dolkitas.. Great saws to play with (especially the 7900)but I don't find they do anything substantially better than the big 2 and if anything breaks and I don't already have it I can get it right now or have it shipped cheaper.

I run a 36 inch sometimes and I'm surprised how well it pulls it, usually in grand father pine or macrocarpa (monterey cyprus?)

You can probably buy a used 461 for $600. If not, then the dealer service is what drives the price up. Caterpillar is the same way. Maybe not the best equipment, but the best parts/service network without question.

I do have backup saws, but it still does not change the fact that whatever is broken needs to be fixed. The backup saw is the backup for a reason.

It’s easier for me to walk in to a dealer with a part number or them to pull an IPL and get one than to get the “x fits y” on the internet.

As to whoever said a ported smaller saw will stick with a stock bigger saw that statement is correct until the long bars come out. At that point there’s no replacement for displacement.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What is cool about this particular thread is there are so many different picks by a wide range of folks posting. A tough question, I just bought a 572 this winter so that has to be the answer. But if there was a clean low hour 2171 around at that time, probably would have added that to the collection. The options are thick.....Stihl 461, Husqvarna 572, 576, Makita's derived from the 7900's.. Any one would be an awesome new saw. I like my original edition 372's & 2171's the most though, always go back to them. Lighter than the current offerings and they don't lack a bit in power.

Most people advising a 461 do so for self gratification, it re-affirms they made a the right choice. But this is emotion based, not based on true facts. The only similar thing between a 7910 & 461 is the sound they make when a skidder rolls over them. And at that point your about $400!!! better off had you bought a better deigned 7910. This is a simple easy answer that should not require many responses. I own more Stihl product than anything else (ms150 2x201's 200t 2x261 660 polesaws 2xbg56 km94 km130) and a few more collectors etc. You work hard for your $$ so spend how YOU want but if your looking for the best 6-7 cube saw the answer is not a 461.

That’s Bold Talk coming from someone who hasn’t spoken to the folks recommending 461s.

I believe it would be safe to say that everyone who has recommended a saw has done it based on their experiences, & more importantly which dealers are supportive of the brands in their areas.

For my Area,
1. We don’t have a dealer for your beloved Makita.

2. ECHO doesn’t offer a 70cc saw.

3. The Husqvarna dealer has sold out & the new owners keep practically nothing in stock, & have now dropped Husqvarna in favor of Redmax.

4. 0 Shindowa support: I bet outside of those on these forums, no one in our area has even heard of them.

There is a Husqvarna dealer 1 town over, but they push & sell many more ECHO equipment & don’t have a lot of Husqvarna parts either, which one needs to run the current 70cc offering.

Please try to Stick to Facts.

That’s Bold Talk coming from someone who hasn’t spoken to the folks recommending 461s.

I believe it would be safe to say that everyone who has recommended a saw has done it based on their experiences, & more importantly which dealers are supportive of the brands in their areas.

For my Area,
1. We don’t have a dealer for your beloved Makita.

2. ECHO doesn’t offer a 70cc saw.

3. The Husqvarna dealer has sold out & the new owners keep practically nothing in stock, & have now dropped Husqvarna in favor of Redmax.

4. 0 Shindowa support: I bet outside of those on these forums, no one in our area has even heard of them.

There is a Husqvarna dealer 1 town over, but they push & sell many more ECHO equipment & don’t have a lot of Husqvarna parts either, which one needs to run the current 70cc offering.

Please try to Stick to Facts.v

If your not the cheapest gig in town you must be screwing folks.

I fully understand guys who don’t make a living with the thing need to save some bucks on something to get some work done when they need it , but I really don’t understand the bashing of a quality product because it doesn’t fit the weekend warrior budget.

Most people advising a 461 do so for self gratification, it re-affirms they made a the right choice. But this is emotion based, not based on true facts. The only similar thing between a 7910 & 461 is the sound they make when a skidder rolls over them. And at that point your about $400!!! better off had you bought a better deigned 7910. This is a simple easy answer that should not require many responses. I own more Stihl product than anything else (ms150 2x201's 200t 2x261 660 polesaws 2xbg56 km94 km130) and a few more collectors etc. You work hard for your $$ so spend how YOU want but if your looking for the best 6-7 cube saw the answer is not a 461.

i am very happy with my purchase MS461 solid reliable and very fast with a port job, i watch a video where a tree monkey moded saw went up against a tree monkey moded 462 and beat it by 5 second and part are easily available in my area and with no mtronic a can fix myself with parts

and i think "i no expert in 7910"but i think the 461 moded would beat a moded 7910 or in stock form
no sure what so great about 7910 --------------------------

every stat is better on ms461 unless im missing something except the $70 more i payed to have a 30 dealer with in 50 miles instead of NONE

$930.00 ------------------------- WEIGHT 14.7
Horsepower
5.7 HP
CC
Maximum RPM's
12800 RPM

If your not the cheapest gig in town you must be screwing folks.

I fully understand guys who don’t make a living with the thing need to save some bucks on something to get some work done when they need it , but I really don’t understand the bashing of a quality product because it doesn’t fit the weekend warrior budget.

They should be buying an ECHO then.

ECHO is typically the cheaper of the 3 brands that are supported in my area, however some of their pro models’ msrp are knocking on the doors of the big 2.

Out of the last 5 pieces of new OPE I’ve purchased, (that I still own), 3 of them are ECHO.

1. is a Honda
2. 1 is a MS261CM

3. PPT-280( I bought it right before being discontinued)

4. PAS-2620 with the adjustable hedge trimmer head

5. CS-355T

A bit of Banter never hurt anyone, & if you knew me, you would know I’ve had Terrible luck with Husqvarna over the years.

You could say I’ve been Freight-trained.

I didn’t say a 461 was the best saw ever in its class. The question was if I had to buy a saw today what would I buy. I use my saws to make money, or handle dangerous situations. I need them to run. Thus, I need a reliable product with support. Stihl has that, Husqvarna does in some areas.

The Dolmar PS-7900 probably is an absolute monster. I have just not ever seen a dealer for one, or anyone making a living with a saw using one.

I’m not a Stihl fanboy. The Husqvarna 372XP is my favorite saw I’ve run, but the support has dried up in my area. I run Stihl now because I can get their stuff. I did pick up an Echo 2511T, it’s cute. Echo has a strong presence in my area too. I don’t use Stihl for self-gratification, I use it because it’s practical for my use. A weekend warrior has different needs.

Often online "spec" battles are a waste of time for me. The best saw? The one you have and is doing the job. To trash some thing like a 461 or any of the pro level saw of this era really doesn't make sense, as there are very few terrible ones out there. Most of the companies "evolve" their products to a better state. So issues with a new release often are worked out over time. For me things fall into a few major categories...but the MOST important "swing" factor is dealer support. While online parts are the cheapest option, often a person depending on a saw likes to drive down and same day solve and issue either through direct support or having the parts a drive away, $10 dollars in a price difference pales as compared to having a production saw down. And while most have multiple saws, there is a hassle factor most busy to get a job done don't have time to deal with. To me we spend way too much time measuring cookies and specs. Humble opinion...while the race saw culture will bleed into the enthusiasts.....that's a good thing BTW adding "fun" to a hard work environment... for many those 70cc pro saws are tools to earn money or get through a larger task. BUT I recognize there is a growing "hobby" culture and that's a good thing, but I am too busy with the local logging community to go there now. Also for me its not pure logic, its a blend of experience, what I like, and what I know. I like the 441's! A bunch treat them in the same class as 391's!....but I like them. And they run well enough to keep things interesting. Really like the 461's..I have built several for the guys I support. 576's another solid saw in the community around here. Of course after some teething issues the X-torqs they are proven solid...but I'm not a fan. Doesn't mean they are not excellent saws, its that "like" thing again. Partly because the OE's are a favorite, I see the X-Torqs as a kluge...real or not. Just how I react to them. Even knowing they are solid saws now and build them on a regular basis to "HTSS" configuration. The 572's are a great replacement...really impressed at where they put emphasis in this design, so I bought one ..have no opinion on the new models from Stihl and Echo as the only knowledge I have comes from places like this....:) And I have learned over the years to add a little salt and pepper to those... it's cyber space. After a year or so, and when the folks I support share their experience I will form an opinion I guess. Bottom line I think there are a lot of excellent 70cc options...

...I can go to a dealer within a short drive nearly anywhere in the U.S and get parts for it, the same day. Same with a 372 Husqvarna.

Try that with a Dolkita. I’d also like to know where I can buy one for $600.

It will sell better and easier in the used market. I don't know about your 7900 but the air filter is good on the 461 and the saw compensates for a dirty filter. Mike

This!

Also, in what world is a 461 $400 more than a 7910?

There is no perfect choice.

For a working saw (assuming solid dealer and manufacturer support) the best saw is the one with the fundamental characteristics you are most comfortable with, on which the lack of a particular feature(s) you can most easily overlook, and which has idiosyncrasies and even minor design and/or manufacturing flaws that you can most easily put up with on a really bad day.

Hobbyists are free to please themselves.

Resale value means nothing to the guys that buy these saws to work with.

It's a tool...the amount of money these tools make during their service life far outweighs a few hundred bucks...my boss has a 461 that through its tour of duty has made him probably close to 250k and still counting.

Dealer support is where it's at for a commercial user...for the hobby firewood hacker..who cares, buy what gives you a boner. But me personally..I'm still a dealer support person no matter what. Buy what works for YOU.

I'd like a solo 681 someday..not for a daily worksaw..just to **** off with and cut firewood.

For serious work? The new Stihl 500i. Fuel Injected.
World's first fuel injected production saw... looks to be a total game changer - how can a carb saw possibly compete? Highest power to weight ratio on the market.
stihl-chainsaws.jpg

That's a 441.

That's a 441.
Hey Ryan - Great catch - thank you. An actual choke as shown should have been my first tip off that I had the wrong image. I got it from a place as shown below... they had it wrong too.
Capture2.jpg

The OP sure caught it (from some) for buying a 461. Everybody has an opinion I guess - but it don't make him wrong. I'd buy a 500i if I needed more saw... I don't.

Bob

Hey Ryan - Great catch - thank you. An actual choke as shown should have been my first tip off that I had the wrong image. I got it from a place as shown below... they had it wrong too.
Capture2.jpg

The OP sure caught it (from some) for buying a 461. Everybody has an opinion I guess - but it don't make him wrong. I'd buy a 500i if I needed more saw... I don't.

Bob

I never give a sh!t what anyone buys.

It's not my money or my problem, like I said..dealer support is my thing..maybe it's not for other people..I don't give 2 sh!ts either way.

But the stories people give to influence a cyber strangers chainsaw purchase are hilarious :laugh:

Back