Finding dry wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stacking off the ground and in the dry is the fastest way I have found to season wood. I bought one of those metal carports with open sides, back when you could buy one for $400, so I have had it a while. I lined the ground with black plastic to prevent moisture from coming up from the soil. I then laid pallets on top of the plastic. I stack the wood under the shed on the pallets about 6ft tall stacks. Just my theory, but I believe the tin on the carport really heats up and helps dry the wood. I can put green white oak in the shed and it will be making big cracks in 2 months. Best part of the carport is I can stack the wood in one end and take it out the opposite end so I am always burning wood that has been seasoning at least a year. This year I stacked a bunch outside the shed so I could burn the wood that had been in the center of the shed for several years. I have about 2 cords stacked along the sides of the shed, about 6ft high in the middle of the stack. The shed post help keep the stacks from falling over. Inside the shed I have about 3 1/2- 4 cords stacked along the opposite side of the shed of the outside stacks. This allows good airflow and speeds drying. I will eventually fill the shed completely with wood, I hope. I have about a cord or so of bucked but unsplit wood in a pile and I just got a load of white elm in 10ft lenghts I dumped on top of other wood to keep it off the ground. Old pic, but you get the ideal.1104161741.jpg

Stacking off the ground and in the dry is the fastest way I have found to season wood. I bought one of those metal carports with open sides, back when you could buy one for $400, so I have had it a while. I lined the ground with black plastic to prevent moisture from coming up from the soil. I then laid pallets on top of the plastic. I stack the wood under the shed on the pallets about 6ft tall stacks. Just my theory, but I believe the tin on the carport really heats up and helps dry the wood. I can put green white oak in the shed and it will be making big cracks in 2 months. Best part of the carport is I can stack the wood in one end and take it out the opposite end so I am always burning wood that has been seasoning at least a year. This year I stacked a bunch outside the shed so I could burn the wood that had been in the center of the shed for several years. I have about 2 cords stacked along the sides of the shed, about 6ft high in the middle of the stack. The shed post help keep the stacks from falling over. Inside the shed I have about 3 1/2- 4 cords stacked along the opposite side of the shed of the outside stacks. This allows good airflow and speeds drying. I will eventually fill the shed completely with wood, I hope. I have about a cord or so of bucked but unsplit wood in a pile and I just got a load of white elm in 10ft lenghts I dumped on top of other wood to keep it off the ground. Old pic, but you get the ideal.View attachment 738716
I was interested in getting a metal carport just because I could have a woodshed literally overnight....but they're not $400 anymore either lol. I'm just going to get cull pressure treated wood from a local building supply....they basically give the stuff away.

I think one like mine now list for around $1100. I do see used ones on FB marketplace from time to time for pretty cheap, if your willing to dismantle and move yourself. To move mine, we backed a dump truck under it and then removed the legs and let the top just rest on the truckbed and tied it on. We didnt have to move it far so no problems with the law. I wouldnt want to move it that way on the interstate or very long distances.

framing up a shed isn't difficult.

my father in law bought a little tin shed and wanted help assembling it. what a colossal waste of time trying to fit that all together

I could have designed, framed , sided and roofed a shed in less time than it took to put that stupid thing together with all it's little nuts and bolts and cheap crapp design.

Back