Treating wounded trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Thumb

Reaction score
IMG_4317.jpg IMG_4318.jpg IMG_4319.jpg IMG_4320.jpg IMG_4317.jpg IMG_4318.jpg IMG_4319.jpg IMG_4320.jpg

IMG_4317.jpg IMG_4318.jpg IMG_4319.jpg IMG_4320.jpg IMG_4321.jpg IMG_4322.jpg IMG_4323.jpg IMG_4324.jpg IMG_4325.jpg I have been an observer on this site for a long time, mostly chain saw repair help. I finally pulled the trigger and joined because I have some specific questions.

I have several trees on my property that have been damaged over the years, primarily by equipment bumps in the process of clearing/leveling the property. I would like to determine if the trees are salvageable and if so, how to help them heal.

I have attached photos. I am not an arborist by any stretch but I am very handy and equipped with pretty much whatever I need. I am willing to invest a few bucks if I can bring these trees back to health.

Many, many thanks in advance.

I have several trees on my property that have been damaged over the years, primarily by equipment bumps in the process of clearing/leveling the property. I would like to determine if the trees are salvageable and if so, how to help them heal.
If I understand correctly, you are concerned about damage to trees which occurred "over the years" and is not recent. What do you mean by asking if the trees "are salvageable?" From the photos, I can see no cause for worry. It appears that the trees have coped with their wounds, and while they have scars to show, they look to be in no danger. Perhaps I am missing something in the photos, but all I see is a little cosmetic damage.

If I understand correctly, you are concerned about damage to trees which occurred "over the years" and is not recent. What do you mean by asking if the trees "are salvageable?" From the photos, I can see no cause for worry. It appears that the trees have coped with their wounds, and while they have scars to show, they look to be in no danger. Perhaps I am missing something in the photos, but all I see is a little cosmetic damage.
If they are good to go, awesome. I obviously have an untrained eye so I just want to make sure they are healthy and strong. They get plenty of water and I use Job's tree fertilizer spikes. If all is well I am happy to leave well enough alone. If there is anything I can do to help the scars heal I'm happy to give it a try.

While taking the photos I did notice that there are small holes all over their trunks. Is that normal?

I would get rid of the rocks and expand the mulch ring out to the drip zone. Make sure the mulch isn't piled up around the trunk.
This, first and foremost.

The best thing that can happen to a wounded tree is that it grows quickly. Healthy trees grow quickly. Mulch piled against the trunk is not healthy. Just mulch the whole area around all 3 trees into one mulch bed. Pull it away from the trunks.

Right now the trees are in a race: will the response growth grow more quickly than the trees will rot? Only time will tell.

As for the fertilizer spikes: is there a nutrient that is low that you are missing? "Don't guess, soil test". You may do more harm than good if you are giving the trees, for example, more nitrogen when what they really need is phosphorous.

Latest posts

Back