Restoring Soviet Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a funky chainsaw. It looks like the front like.. where the bar and sprocket are connected could be rotated? So you could do horizontal cuts as well as vertical or at a lot of different angles. Is that the idea? Also pretty interesting handle design; how you almost stand on top of it to cut downwards.

Yep, that is definitely different.
I'm not sure bar oil was a consideration. Be a bit cold for what we run here. Maybe a squirt of something a bit thinner now and then. I dont think it was made to cut large wood. Just smaller stuff. Does seem like it would be better for the back.
That chain is a bit different too.

The saw is kool. I like it. But nothing seems to be tight or torqued? The nuts just come loose. Have you noticed that.?

The saw is kool. I like it. But nothing seems to be tight or torqued? The nuts just come loose. Have you noticed that.?

I've watched this video a few times this year and yes things aren't torqued down really well.

Thought it interesting where at the 1:00 mark he pulled the throttle out of the carburetor.

I have a very similar design on a British Seagull boat motor.

I pulled that boat motor out of the Fraser River where it had been sitting in the water for 4 months, took it apart, cleaned it up and got it running without using any parts other than RTV sealant!

What a funky chainsaw. It looks like the front like.. where the bar and sprocket are connected could be rotated? So you could do horizontal cuts as well as vertical or at a lot of different angles. Is that the idea? Also pretty interesting handle design; how you almost stand on top of it to cut downwards.
Didn't look real close, but it probably does rotate. My Disston DA211, considered one of the best two man saws ever made, rotates. The carb has a float in it and won't run on it's side, it has to remain somewhat level.

Didn't look real close, but it probably does rotate. My Disston DA211, considered one of the best two man saws ever made, rotates. The carb has a float in it and won't run on it's side, it has to remain somewhat level.

That looked like a float bowl carburetor he pulled off there. That would explain the rotation of the bar assembly. I guess for that I can thank modern diaphragm carbs for antiquating that.

Why the removable rope starter? The folding up bar is neat for storage? I can’t imagine running one it looks very awkward. It’s not that old too? 1993?

Makes me think about taking an older two stroke Clinton 2.5hp or a reo two stroke engine and make a chainsaw, or a real Husqvarna dirtbike 250cc or a 390cc engine. It would be a wood shark.

Back