80cc saw for 160 dollars??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I remember when All the race bikes that mattered were made by names like Bultaco, Ossa, Montessa, Puch, Maico, Sachs. The lone survivor and now has been resurgent KTM started out as "Pentons" over here. The thing many years of international travel taught me, there is no shortage of smart people around the world...:) AND the military technology is a good indication of the manufacturing infrastructure. We hired China to make about everything electronic.....there is your sign. AND things "turned" over there in and around year 2000, when what is now Lenovo bought ALL of the IBM "PC" business, patents, everything. And that's before you go back into the mid 1990's and understand how much technology was bought lock stock and barrel with the approval of the Administration at the time. SO don't be surprised when China decides they have copied enough, and learned enough, and start building and marketing their own stuff. I also remember when companies like BurgMaster and Cincinnati Millicron were the dominant players in the CNC machine tool business. Seen a lot over the years....and one thing remains constant. We always underestimate a peoples will to move ahead and underestimate the creativity that's every where given a supporting political structure.

My guess is you aren't over 50 if you say this:

Yes but there is a huge difference between Japan and China in terms of quality control and labor rates.

Chinese factory’s pay their people pittens to make saws and their quality control is not terrible but def not as good as echo or stihl/husky. Point being Chinese quality will never rival that of the other guys and this will never have them accepted as a replacement for any other known brand.

Anyone who was around in the 1960s will clearly recall when Japanese products were considered junk to at least the same degree as the Chinese products are now.

@Brent
There is the amount people get payed, but even more interesting, is the culture Mao brought. Where it is a feat to deliver the least and/or worst without getting in trouble.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

My guess is you aren't over 50 if you say this:

Anyone who was around in the 1960s will clearly recall when Japanese products were considered junk to at least the same degree as the Chinese products are now.
Your right I’m 36.
The basis for my argument is that Japan is a society of perfection, it’s been their foundation since the beginning. China does not.
I could understand performance being no where near as good in the beginning but I think fit and finish would have been very good even for their first models. Yes I was not around to see that happen but am I wrong?

Many of the Japanese products we saw in the 1960s were extremely cheap plastic junk, mass produced with little regard for quality. "Made in Japan" was essentially synonymous with saying "junk' at that time. I do not recall any Japanese chainsaws or similar products back then, but I was only about 10 years old, so it would not have been something I was looking for. I do clearly remember that saying something was made in Japan meant you thought very little of it.
Virtually exactly what you hear about "made in China" today.

Many of the Japanese products we saw in the 1960s were extremely cheap plastic junk, mass produced with little regard for quality. "Made in Japan" was essentially synonymous with saying "junk' at that time. I do not recall any Japanese chainsaws or similar products back then, but I was only about 10 years old, so it would not have been something I was looking for. I do clearly remember that saying something was made in Japan meant you thought very little of it.

I have the same memories of Japanese products in the 1960s. Japanese=plastic junk that would break immediately. I remember going to the local TG&Y and laugh at the Japanese junk. But Japanese products got better and better. I remember my dad's first Toyota, which was vastly better than his disastrous Chevy Vega. Now Japanese products are excellent. China is undergoing the same evolution. Chinese tools 10 years ago were awful, but now wrenches/sockets, etc from Harbor Freight are much better and totally adequate for most of my purposes.

Your right I’m 36.
The basis for my argument is that Japan is a society of perfection, it’s been their foundation since the beginning. China does not.
I could understand performance being no where near as good in the beginning but I think fit and finish would have been very good even for their first models. Yes I was not around to see that happen but am I wrong?

Let’s not tell everyone but the war (wwII) never ended, Japan is trying to sink the USA economy. Seems to be working little by little. I’m retired but feel bad for the american worker. I got axed in every recession since 83 to 86. I never said why me my saws were tuned, sharp ready to go. But I loved beating the saws from Japan at the speed cutting at the fairs. I went there with a vengeance. Importing cheaper machine tools from Japan killed our manufacturing of machine tools here.

I remember going to a store where things were new but bought by the store owner from bankrupt / closing / old inventory or whatever reason. He then sold on the cheap and a lot of it was made in Japan "JUNK" I also remember my mom explaining to us (kids) that Japan used to and still did make some really nice things. I assumed as a kid that Japan got sloppy where in truth they probably knew the market for making the best profit.

I had a very good run from a 52cc version kept my house warm with it for 5 years never missed a beat. It wasn't a hugely high rpm kind of power more like an older sort of power but it was good and wide. I sold it for half what I payed still running sweet as. Its very lucky dip though with China a mate got 1 from a big box store and it was a dog in comparison but yeah mine was great nothing came loose the plastic held up sweet the oiler oiled and started happily everytime

They lie. I bought one advertised as 62cc but right on the cylinder it says 52cc.

I had a very good run from a 52cc version kept my house warm with it for 5 years never missed a beat. It wasn't a hugely high rpm kind of power more like an older sort of power but it was good and wide. I sold it for half what I payed still running sweet as. Its very lucky dip though with China a mate got 1 from a big box store and it was a dog in comparison but yeah mine was great nothing came loose the plastic held up sweet the oiler oiled and started happily everytime

I had one too, and the engine was fine. It started and ran reliably and had reasonable power. But everything around the engine was junk. The plastic covers were floppy and felt cheap, and there was some problem with the drive to the oil pump (I forget what). I wound up donating it to a church's rummage sale when I got annoyed with it.

My company reopened a plant that one of our other divisions closed in Mexico. The trained workers there were paid $0.45 an hour. They had to close the plant because of the local violence it was unsafe to transport the leadership to Mexico from the USA everyday back and fourth. It’s not the factory workers making the money.

As far as Chinese Honda clone engines go, I have found they are just as good as a Honda. I don't know about the Chinese Stihl clones.

Latest posts

Back