Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And don't clean the mess up until they come out and a claim is discussed. Here they will usually give you/a company 500 for removal of debris, but if you remove it all they may not give you anything, it's easier to negotiate it before removing it. I've negotiated a contract with the insurance company with 500 for removal of debris, if the client wants the wood I will make make them an offer of removing/taking care of the debris and I have them knock the money off what they pay me, many times it's enough to cover the deductable, most just want it gone.
Chipper is pretty much dead on here. In Md the Insurance Company will pay to remove the tree from the insured structure, to the ground. But, not from the property. When we were doing insurance paper work we would put the full sum under "Remove from structure", and not give them the rest of the estimate. That's all that pertained to them. They never challenged us. If they did our canned response was, "Yes, the entire job was a lot more. If you want us to look it up we have a nominal research fee". But, they never complained.

F85EA06E-01C5-4E7F-9561-CA68D52483DA.jpeg
Just took down a highly valuable 50 foot Black Walnut today. I can probably retire with all the money I’m going to get for this one. Lol. But seriously, the lower 40 feet is straight as an arrow, as it was surrounded by other trees and didn’t branch out until the top ten feet. I wish I knew someone with a mill that made furniture. It seems such a waste to cut it up as firewood.
8604e31a5a24a03d31aacae90eb89f60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same boat as you, a bandsaw mill would be great. About cried on that last chestnut I cut up.

Did some volunteer work at the Fish + Game club today … specifically removed a large Red Oak from our fence line.

My 28" bar MOFO Hybrid barely reached through it (at about 50' up), and note that a fence post is impaled in the log.

Also had to remove a dead Hickory in back of it in order to roll it off the fence.

Me and another guy had to hike in carrying everything … no heavy equipment allowed! We got it done!

Attachments

• PCFGA90530.JPG
    PCFGA90530.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
My inlaws are dealing with the insurance company. I'm just cleaning up the mess. Insurance probly wont pay for anything as nothing hit the house. Just the deck, swing set, and trampoline.
They should cover it.
It's covered under the "other structures" portion or "personal property" at least that's what I've experienced here in Michigan, I know things can be different state to state.

I'm kind of giggly, I just participated in my first online auction. Lol. Amongst the light fixtures my wife wanted, I scored a 25" bar. I also bid on one of those 2 in 1 file thingys but got outbid. Tried to jump it up at the last moment but fumbled my phone and missed. Oh well. Need the money for a chain anyway.
e84e55712574fc28b01248611205a627.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I was down the road today splitting wood for a couple in their 80’s. Mix of dead elm, dead ash, maple and cherry. If the only wood I could heat with was elm then I would have to consider going back to fuel oil or stealing picnic tables from the state park to cut up for heat. That elm is the nastiest wood I have ever split.

Back