Hi I’m new and need some advice!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maskell01

Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m new to the site and thought I’d start by saying hello!

I’m a new starter to chainsaws, I have a stihl ms251!

It started off lovely until I hit some old rusty barbed wire that had grown into a tree!

This pissed me off but I put this down to a perk of the job and took it as an opportunity to learn to sharpen!

I had a crack at it and I’m getting chunks and not dust! But it looks like the chain has bounced through the log!

upload_2019-5-31_21-19-2.png

Like above, especially at the bottom!

Can anyone help a newbie and shed some light on what I have done wrong!?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

I would say that you have achieved much better than most if you have only sharpened a chain or two. If you did not do too much to your rakers then you are good to go. I do not know what wood you are cutting, but it looks soft so not much to worry about. There are umpteen threads here on how to get a decent chain. For most part we are after consistency with angles and depth. If you are taking the rakers down much then you will have more bite which is more likely to have the saw grab jerky. If the rakers are too high then you will dull your chain much faster and get more dust. So if you are a beginner then get in and practice and you will get the most out of your saw. There are many debates on how to sharpen with exactly what angle and what equipment to use. As you can imagine no one quite agrees on how to do. I am a hand filer and Philbert leans towards using the best equipment he can find because he goes through many chains. Many have come and gone with their own methods with each one thinking they have the one that is right for them. Then there are folks in the middle who hand file some then now and then put their chain through the grinder. For starters a gauge and a few measuring tools can help. Thanks

Hi all,
I’m new to the site and thought I’d start by saying hello!

I’m a new starter to chainsaws, I have a stihl ms251!

It started off lovely until I hit some old rusty barbed wire that had grown into a tree!

This pissed me off but I put this down to a perk of the job and took it as an opportunity to learn to sharpen!

I had a crack at it and I’m getting chunks and not dust! But it looks like the chain has bounced through the log!

View attachment 738952

Like above, especially at the bottom!

Can anyone help a newbie and shed some light on what I have done wrong!?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

Aim for consistent tooth lengths and cutting angles, remember to get the raker/depth gauges, There is a simple tool to check the height so you know your good, Stihl makes a combo deal that holds both a round file for the tooth and a flat file for the raker.

Whatcha got sofar isn't so bad, but always room for improvement.

The Stihl 2 in 1 tool seems a good middle of the road filing guide appreciated by many but a different one is needed for different chain sizes and that makes for a bit of expenses right off. Get one for the chain you use the most and it will get you started with good consistent angles and depth gauge settings , the chains filed using them actually cut pretty good. Hand filing is all I ever do , it is fairly easy to accomplish and will evolve over the years you do it.

Is the chain ran loose or is the chain gauge match the gauge of the bar? The cut looks more wavy that what I have seen before?

Is the chain ran loose or is the chain gauge match the gauge of the bar? The cut looks more wavy that what I have seen before?

This is what came to mind. Looks as if the chain is wobbling in the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, good close pics of the chain would help.

Since you are new to sharpening and maybe working around fence rows you might consider buying a new chain exactly like the one you are now using, eyeball the new chain very carefully and your old chain and you will probably see the difference. You can then practice sharpening your old chain as a spare. You need a spare chain anyway) Usually after hitting wire, nails etc, you have ruined few of the teeth and probably the front edge of the cutters on some is curled down and not getting sharpened enough.
Since you are new to saws and you have a good Stihl saw you might have to hump up and force yourself to go to a Stihl saw place, take your saw with you, tell them you are looking for A EXACT new replacement chain (around $28) and then ask about correct size files for your chains and their are several types and sizes of files and file guides and you can easily spend $50 and buy the WRONG file guide for your chains, so talk to someone in the saw shop that knows what they are doing. Save the Stihl box your new chain comes in and you will have the part numbers for the next future replacement chain.
Patience is the key to learning sharpening and a slight learning curve in the process AND right when you think you are good at hand sharpening, you will eventually sharpen one that does not cut. (most likely you used the wrong size file):surprised3::(

I'd suggest leaving this forum as fast as possible! Staying here will only result in the purchase of several more chainsaws over the next few months! We will gladly answer your questions and most of the answers will cost you money! Besides, why did you buy a Stihl?!?! A Husqvarna would have laughed at some rusty ole barb wire!

In all seriousness...lost of posts/video's of chain sharpening, having an extra chain available is a great idea as mentioned! Without seeing pictures of chain it is pure speculation for us to determine what is happening!

AND as stated, if not careful hanging out on this forum site you will be buyng all kinds of good saws and parts, files, chain breakers, chain sharpeners. You also do need a NEW spare saw.;)

Have you figured out how you can tell my looking and smelling at a tree when it has barb wire inside?

If not after few new chains you can tell.;)

Stay safe.

Back