Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are unsure how to resize the image file size can you email it to someone to do it for you? You could email it to me if that helps. There are usually file size restrictions on emails also but I suspect they'll be larger than the limits this website uses.

If you are unsure how to resize the image file size can you email it to someone to do it for you? You could email it to me if that helps.
Thanks, Bro, just lazy. If I load them to IMGUR they load here fine, I was trying to do it off my cell. As soon as my son gets his dinner I'm going to see if he can down size the cell pics. I'm going to help him clean up tomorrow, I'll get better pics and post them with IMGUR.

If the only wood I could heat with was elm then I would have to consider going back to fuel oil or stealing picnic tables from the state park to cut up for heat. That elm is the nastiest wood I have ever split.

I on the other hand have mostly been splitting yew for the last few days, I think of Yew as a 'Paul Bunyan wood' it makes you feel like a real lumber jack giant!. Quoting from the wood database ...
Perhaps among the hardest of all softwood species, Yew is certainly a unique wood species. Its density and working characteristics are more inline with a heavy hardwood than a softwood, yet its tight, fine grain and smooth texture give it a lustrous finish.

Yet perhaps Yew’s greatest claim to fame is that of its mechanical properties: despite its strength and density, Yew has an incredibly low and disproportionate modulus of elasticity at only 1,320,000 lbf/in2 (9,100 MPa). What this means is that the wood is extremely flexible, yet strong, making it ideally suited for use in archery bows. In fact, Yew was the wood of choice for English longbows in medieval warfare.

Now it might be flexible along the grain but its tight grained and boy its 'brittle' on the end grain. It splits easy with am x27, very easily, swing the axe and each contact gives a satisfying 'Crack!' sound and the wood shoots off to either side of the head. I love that CRACK!' its like a gun shot! CRRRAAACCK!

I have been doing a good amount of splitting lately, figure if it is not split now no way it will be good this year.

I was able to do most of the Beech with the X-27, but it does not split like the straight grained Oak!

On the other side of the coin, I was glad to have my Hydro splitter for the wavy grained Oak, no was I was going to split that by hand!

20190531_192825.jpg I've questioned many times if I really need a top handle but this clean up work has cemented this saws position in the line up. Grab, cut, throw is so much nicer then cut put saw down throw pick up saw to go again.
There may or may not be a picture of me standing on a picnic table with a branch in one hand and cutting with the other. My wife was taking pictures of me that she shall never make public.

I'm kind of giggly, I just participated in my first online auction. Lol. Amongst the light fixtures my wife wanted, I scored a 25" bar. I also bid on one of those 2 in 1 file thingys but got outbid. Tried to jump it up at the last moment but fumbled my phone and missed. Oh well. Need the money for a chain anyway.
e84e55712574fc28b01248611205a627.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Sorry Jeff. What size of file set were you looking for I may have bought a bunch. I bought chain too but mostly small stuff. 20190531_223210.jpg

Good news bad news fellas. Aint hit a lick cutting due to mud and rain and storms. Finally got to run a saw today. Unfortunately , it was to cut a big red oak off my own dang roof ! Bad storm last nite took it down on west side of house. Punched holes plumb through metal roof and clear into the inside through ceiling in, 4 spots. Broke several rafters as well. Took the day to clear and get metal back on for the storms tomaro. Ins adj be here Monday. No pun intended but when it rains it pours. Coulda been a lot worse, Just lost stuff, we are ok. A lot of folks much worse off. Be carful out there fellas

I was interested in the pole saws and the battery saws and figured I might as well make it a worthwhile trip. Saws went for what they were worth but old stock so I skipped them. Jutzi sale is tomorrow (460 and 660 and some new echos bunch of other stuff) but the boss says I'm milling cedar tomorrow. Need some beams for a chicken coop I'm trying to find time to build. She wants a bunch of shelving for friends. http://www.mrjutzi.ca/sales/gallery.aspx?id=3305
20190531_210814.jpg 20190531_202654.jpg 20190531_210810.jpg

It may not have the pulling capacity or the speed (even though is two-speed), given it's dependant on your cordless drill, but how about something like this lightweight, drill powered capstan winch for getting firewood to the truck, @Logger nate ?
https://backcountrywinch.com/

View attachment 738957
Yeah I thought about something like that, warn makes one that’s rated to 500 lbs I think. Would just have to take smaller pieces, but would better than packing blocks up the hill, and much less $, unless I had to buy a new drill every week, lol. Still researching and thinking, Thanks Kiwi.

Yeah I thought about something like that, warn makes one that’s rated to 500 lbs I think. Would just have to take smaller pieces, but would better than packing blocks up the hill, and much less $. Still researching and thinking, Thanks Kiwi.
No worries. Good luck with it. Keen to read what you end up with and how it works out for you.

Good news bad news fellas. Aint hit a lick cutting due to mud and rain and storms. Finally got to run a saw today. Unfortunately , it was to cut a big red oak off my own dang roof ! Bad storm last nite took it down on west side of house. Punched holes plumb through metal roof and clear into the inside through ceiling in, 4 spots. Broke several rafters as well. Took the day to clear and get metal back on for the storms tomaro. Ins adj be here Monday. No pun intended but when it rains it pours. Coulda been a lot worse, Just lost stuff, we are ok. A lot of folks much worse off. Be carful out there fellas
Sorry to hear, glad everyone’s ok.

glad you are ok. been a wicked spring everywhere. we rarely have tornados here and and i think the guessers say we have had 28 so far this year.

Glad everyone's was ok. Still cleaning up stuff that was blown over here the other day.

My Upstate Property got hit by a Tornado about 20 years ago … took out about 40% of the trees on my 50 acres … it has never really recovered as the remainder of the trees are now more vulnerable to wind storms … just seems like an endless cycle. They used to log it every 10 years, there has not been any logging in over 20 years now, just too few trees of large enough diameter (over 14").

Now, trees seem to get blown over faster than new ones grow … very frustrating!

Back