Is this Siberian Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrx-snowdrift

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure this is Siberian Elm but I’d like some other opinions to confirm.

Smooth seeds, not hairy like American Elm. Fairly symmetrical leaves. Leaves seem smaller but being such a late spring they just leafed out not that long ago so they might not be full size yet.
17C0CC4A-D2C3-47F3-91C4-B288411FBDDD.jpeg48C9A05E-62CD-44EB-B3A6-4932DBD71EE9.jpegC3995240-D0A1-43D7-A624-0FF13A639BB4.jpeg
919819A3-AD02-4DFE-A8CF-51E8F54A1FCC.jpeg

So next question is how big of a problem is it? I’m not I big fan of non-native aggressive species. It looks like my grandpa planted it as a windbreak along the outer edge of the grove. They are North and West facing and are shaded by mature Hackberry, Ash and Silver Maple trees so even though they must be 30+ years old (because I sure don’t remember him putting them in) they are still only 6”-12” diameter but it also looks like I have a lot of smaller volunteers.
I’m debating ripping them all out and planting spruce, pine or fir to make a better windbreak and screen from the road. In the winter with only the mature Hackberry, Ash and Maple people can look right through the thin underbrush. I do have a row of Dogwoods started outside of the elms but if I removed the elms I’d have room for a row of spruce, pine or fir.

Thank you for the replies.
I'll add this to the list of noxious weeds I've been trying to eradicate on my farm
-Common Burdock
-Buckthorn
-Dame's Rocket
-Canada and Sow Thistle
-Wild Parsnip is spreading and is only a few miles away so I'm sure I'll get to add that soon.

I read mixed reviews on Siberian Elm as firewood, I lean slightly towards the "if it's wood burn it" mentality so I'd like to try burning it. It seems that one of the biggest complaints is getting it to dry and not having to buck and split it when it's soaking wet.
My plan is to girdle a few of them in the summer and leave them standing for a full year to start to dry out. Then drop, buck and split. If they're still really wet I can leave them in rounds for a year before splitting. Thoughts??? Leave them dead standing for longer?

Siberian Elm isn’t terrible firewood, but you’re right that it’s slow to dry. You’re probably better off cutting it into rounds and letting it dry in a stack. The brush is also much easier to manage alive than dead and brittle.

As far as removing it, well, they can be pretty nice big trees, but they seed aggressively and usually hold a lot of dead, so they look pretty ugly. If a lot of your row is Ash right now, it probably won’t be in 5-10 years. That may increase the Siberian’s value.

Back