Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new friend from one of my scores last year actually saved my number and called this week about more wood. Scotch pine, but good enough for the shoulder season. There might be two more loads like this waiting. He even helped me load and offered to deliver a load to my house in his truck (see why I called him my new friend?) Right after we got this loaded the skies opened up with 60 mph winds and hail, so the next load will have to wait.20190601_142829.jpg

Attachments

• 1FE8DD0D-AC30-49D5-8510-7A8BF5ECDA12.jpeg
    1FE8DD0D-AC30-49D5-8510-7A8BF5ECDA12.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
What’s the preferred chain everyone here uses? Nothing fancy, just looking for something good. Cut some stringy oak today and this Husqvarna “80”chain wasn’t cutting it. Came with the saw....
I know in some situations I should switch but all my 3/8” chain is Oregon 72lgx. If I get dirty wood they will dull up but I have no major complaints.

Well , yardsailin today to keep the wife happy , I did score some leather silicone waterproofing for 1$ and thot long and hard about buying these

20190601_122953_HDR.jpg

Was a full set and no weather cracks lol
I did scrounge up 5lbs of fresh frozen at sea scallops for 25$ yesterday :)
I decided to BBQ some up today for supper , bacon wrapped but I had no toothpicks so ,,,

20190601_181539.jpg

I grabbed a piece of birch kindling and made some , scrounged up firewood save the day lol

20190601_185400.jpg

What’s the preferred chain everyone here uses? Nothing fancy, just looking for something good. Cut some stringy oak today and this Husqvarna “80”chain wasn’t cutting it. Came with the saw....
Everything has carlton on it at the moment. That will change though as my local saw shop closed up. Probly go to stihl chain when its used up.

Well , yardsailin today to keep the wife happy , I did score some leather silicone waterproofing for 1$ and thot long and hard about buying these

View attachment 739175

Was a full set and no weather cracks lol
I did scrounge up 5lbs of fresh frozen at sea scallops for 25$ yesterday :)
I decided to BBQ some up today for supper , bacon wrapped but I had no toothpicks so ,,,

View attachment 739176

I grabbed a piece of birch kindling and made some , scrounged up firewood save the day lol

View attachment 739177
You got scallops for $5 a pound! That deserves a “ you suck.”

Lot of work! If I was closer, I would most certainly help.

Out of PA and currently In Lower “slower” Delaware. Cheers to you?
Its all cut up now going to rent a chipper and fiskars up the firewood size pieces. Going to take the bike out then maybe a beer later.

I know in some situations I should switch but all my 3/8” chain is Oregon 72lgx. If I get dirty wood they will dull up but I have no major complaints.

Rakers on this particular chain are funny. Much different than what’s on my 272. Not sure if this is what’s considered a safety or homeowner type? Regardless, I’ll grab something else. Either LGX or RSK.

If I want the best, longest lasting chain I’ll buy Stihl RS for clean wood and RM for dirty wood. Oregon chain is usually a lot cheaper and can often be found on sale so I’ll run LGX most of the time. Still haven’t tried the new Oregon and Husky chains.

Rakers on this particular chain are funny. Much different than what’s on my 272. Not sure if this is what’s considered a safety or homeowner type? Regardless, I’ll grab something else. Either LGX or RSK.
I think oregon called it guardian? or vanguard? The bent over rakers are pretty awful, I don't bother using it for anything except "...there's metal in there..." situations.

I think oregon called it guardian? or vanguard? The bent over rakers are pretty awful, I don't bother using it for anything except "...there's metal in there..." situations.
Vanguard are full chisel with the safety depth gauges. They cut pretty well IMO and can often be gathered for free. Much better than the true semi chisel bumper drive link or bumper tie strap safety chain.

Back