Eastonmade splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easton made splitters look like they are well built well for what they are intended. I do not think a band new one would last a month here in that they would not survive the transportation. The rough roads would tear them up on delivery. I have never seen star wedge of any kind last an hour here. To think that a 22 HP engine could drive a splitter to produce more than a cord an hour is ridiculous. Farther East I would bet that they could slice right through the smaller logs with out any issues. Still would like to see a stout fast with log lifting design and less than 2,000 lb splitter offer for no more than $3500. $13 or $14K is pretty steep as I guess that is why I have had to fabricate my own for the third time Thanks.

[QUOTE="Ted Jenkins, post: 6903502, member: 143473"Still would like to see a stout fast with log lifting design and less than 2,000 lb splitter offer for no more than $3500. $13 or $14K is pretty steep as I guess that is why I have had to fabricate my own for the third time Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Build what you just described and I’ll give you $3500 for it.

[QUOTE="Ted Jenkins, post: 6903502, member: 143473"Still would like to see a stout fast with log lifting design and less than 2,000 lb splitter offer for no more than $3500. $13 or $14K is pretty steep as I guess that is why I have had to fabricate my own for the third time Thanks.

Build what you just described and I’ll give you $3500 for it.[/QUOTE]

Here are some of the prices you need.I use 3 inch angle for the sides.

Attachments

• 4=2=2019 005.jpg
    4=2=2019 005.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 4=2=2019 006.jpg
    4=2=2019 006.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 21
  • 4=2=2019 009.jpg
    4=2=2019 009.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 4=2=2019 004.jpg
    4=2=2019 004.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 20
Easton made splitters look like they are well built well for what they are intended. I do not think a band new one would last a month here in that they would not survive the transportation. The rough roads would tear them up on delivery. I have never seen star wedge of any kind last an hour here. To think that a 22 HP engine could drive a splitter to produce more than a cord an hour is ridiculous. Farther East I would bet that they could slice right through the smaller logs with out any issues. Still would like to see a stout fast with log lifting design and less than 2,000 lb splitter offer for no more than $3500. $13 or $14K is pretty steep as I guess that is why I have had to fabricate my own for the third time Thanks.
Ted, I can build you any kind of splitter you can think of. With as much power and speed that it would make the giant redwoods weep from fear just seeing it drive thru the Giant redwood forests. The question is, who would pay for it. You go looking for a $3500 splitter, and that is what you will find. If a person wants a splitter he can pull 90mph up a logging road and it not shake itself apart, then that is what they should be building or paying for. You mentioned fabricating your own splitter for the third time, maybe if you spent a little more than $3500 you wouldnt be needing to fabricate a third machine. Splitting wood is about as simple a hydraulic design as there is. I know many a farmboy that has managed to cobble something together to split wood and their machines last for years. Not saying a little educated engineering couldnt make the machine stronger, faster and more efficient. I suspect that most of those old farmboy machines last as long as they do is because they overbuild using whatever scrapmetal and parts they can find. A factory machine is built just strong and fast enough to get the job done. Overbuilding just cost more money. Money is the part that usually sells the machine to the public. People are cheap and they look for the cheapest price they can pay to do the job. Price is what sales and most dont think about how long the machine will last. Most consumers wont be towing their splitter over rough logging road. Most bring the wood home to be split in their back yards. Those that know their splitters will be towed into and out of rough places usually have enough sense to take a little care and thought before going. They will not be the ones buying splitters with wheelbarrow size wheels and tires.

I meant to post this last night but somehow it never got posted, hopefully it works now.
20190221_163939.jpg Tom, For the money that you say you get for a cord of wood you could buy and throw away an Eastonmade splitter every week. Could you let me know where your scrap pile is? And I as well as a lot of other people here would like to see some pictures of your splitters. I've built several myself and $3500 doesn't go very far. I've got a lot more than $3500 invested in this one of course that is Canadian and is far less superior than your dollars. The auto cycle and the other 2 spool valve were over $100020190221_163939.jpg

The "x cords an hr" on any machine is quite hypothetical.

They are figuring max capacity and enough manpower available to where the machine is never idle.

The processor I have I think claims 2+ cords/hr, and that was with an almost 8 second cycle time (SLOW!)
I redid some of the hydraulics and got it to a 4.5 second cycle.

Even then, the best I've ever done was a cord an hour.

For $12k on just a splitter, an 8 second cycle is far too slow. It should be at least 1/2 that.

Now I know 4 seconds sounds fast, but it's not really. The kinetic machines are what, 1-2 second cycle?

I'd take a slow-cycling hydraulic, if the volume of firewood per labour hour is high enough. Cycle speed is just one part of the overall picture and by no means the most important in many situiations.

I would add that not all wood splits the same. If it's strait grained or forks and knots to stump wood or stringy wood or even different parts of the same tree split different. You need speed to get through strait grained wood and power to get through stringy or knotted wood. I split everything I can get so I need speed and power, but safety is most important. I'm sure most of us that have split wood for a long time have had those pieces that seem to explode when they come apart. Mud is correct, it's all about the money and how well built you want it to be and how much man power you throw at it. You still have to feed the splitter and do something with the splits.

I would add that not all wood splits the same. If it's strait grained or forks and knots to stump wood or stringy wood or even different parts of the same tree split different. You need speed to get through strait grained wood and power to get through stringy or knotted wood. I split everything I can get so I need speed and power, but safety is most important. I'm sure most of us that have split wood for a long time have had those pieces that seem to explode when they come apart. Mud is correct, it's all about the money and how well built you want it to be and how much man power you throw at it. You still have to feed the splitter and do something with the splits.
Its more than power and speed. It is also about reliability. It doesnt matter if the splitter can split 1 cord or 10 cords an hour if it runs for one hour and you have to work on it for two. The whole point of using equipment is to reduce man hrs to produce the wood. I have split a full cord in 15mins with my current splitter.. I had 5 people keeping the machine fed and the wood stacked. that might seem fast, but its still 1hr 15min of man hours. A machine that will produce a cord with one man in one hr might sound slow, but its still faster than a machine that needs five people to keep it fed. The question would be if you use 5 people on that machine, would it still produce a cord per manhr. If it doesnt, then you havent accomplished anything.

When I was designing my wood processor, theory on paper said 30cord per hr. Cyl size, saw design, hyd flow and engine hp says this should be true, but only if every stick of wood split is 30in dia and bucked 32in lenghts, and nothing breaks. That also doesnt include prestageing the wood and getting it loaded on the processor, all involves manhrs and machinery. We all know that every tree isnt going to fit those specs and when they dont, you can expect a slow down in production. Every now and then, I also would have to stop and pee. I tire out a lot quicker than I used to also. Speed also has is own set of hazards. That cyl slamming in and out every few seconds is a perfect opportunity for the operator to make a mistake they cant overcome. Would you even want anybody around a splitting wedge with a super fast cycle. Cutting off hands and arms, or getting hit in the side of the head by flying splits, a lot to think about and a lot that can go wrong. Anybody that denies it could happen to them has never answered their cell phone while driving their car, or shut the front door on somebodies fingers, or slipped on wet grass in their front yard. Heck, I broke the tip off a new fishing pole walking out the front door to put it in the boat by shutting the house door on it. Humans have mental lapses, we get to comfortable with what we are doing and make mistakes.

Its more than power and speed. It is also about reliability. It doesnt matter if the splitter can split 1 cord or 10 cords an hour if it runs for one hour and you have to work on it for two. The whole point of using equipment is to reduce man hrs to produce the wood. I have split a full cord in 15mins with my current splitter.. I had 5 people keeping the machine fed and the wood stacked. that might seem fast, but its still 1hr 15min of man hours. A machine that will produce a cord with one man in one hr might sound slow, but its still faster than a machine that needs five people to keep it fed. The question would be if you use 5 people on that machine, would it still produce a cord per manhr. If it doesnt, then you havent accomplished anything.

When I was designing my wood processor, theory on paper said 30cord per hr. Cyl size, saw design, hyd flow and engine hp says this should be true, but only if every stick of wood split is 30in dia and bucked 32in lenghts, and nothing breaks. That also doesnt include prestageing the wood and getting it loaded on the processor, all involves manhrs and machinery. We all know that every tree isnt going to fit those specs and when they dont, you can expect a slow down in production. Every now and then, I also would have to stop and pee. I tire out a lot quicker than I used to also. Speed also has is own set of hazards. That cyl slamming in and out every few seconds is a perfect opportunity for the operator to make a mistake they cant overcome. Would you even want anybody around a splitting wedge with a super fast cycle. Cutting off hands and arms, or getting hit in the side of the head by flying splits, a lot to think about and a lot that can go wrong. Anybody that denies it could happen to them has never answered their cell phone while driving their car, or shut the front door on somebodies fingers, or slipped on wet grass in their front yard. Heck, I broke the tip off a new fishing pole walking out the front door to put it in the boat by shutting the house door on it. Humans have mental lapses, we get to comfortable with what we are doing and make mistakes.
what about fatiugue on the splitter on you and other?

Back