Lathes for port work advice needed.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed my lathe has a navel sign and numbers stamped on the end of the bed. Little research suggest it was owned by the navy at some point. Could be the reason it’s in such good shape and appears to have been painted Maybe more than once.
34523092-0AA3-410D-868A-53362EAC624F.jpeg
3F9F4D35-5375-43A3-933A-F75AD4FEB34E.jpeg
Also check out this real old lathe that was at the scrap yard. I’m thinking it’s pre 1920.
E2B332C0-C555-4593-91D7-AC9DB8EDFE4D.jpeg

Recommendations for boring bars? I was thinking 3/4” by 10”. biggest concern would be chatter

Bought it off eBay. It’s meant for a SB lathe but fits just fine on the Logan. Its 3d printed. There’s also a metal one on eBay. Very useful. I setup a mag base on my cross slide. Too much play to use the dials on the lathe when making precise cuts.

While you got my talking, anyone have some pointers for setting up a cylinder in the lathe when doing squish band cuts? I’ve got everything I need now except some long bolts.

Bought it off eBay. It’s meant for a SB lathe but fits just fine on the Logan. Its 3d printed. There’s also a metal one on eBay. Very useful. I setup a mag base on my cross slide. Too much play to use the dials on the lathe when making precise cuts.

While you got my talking, anyone have some pointers for setting up a cylinder in the lathe when doing squish band cuts? I’ve got everything I need now except some long bolts.
Found it! Shipping to Canada is outrageous but I'm going to but it anyway just because it's so cool. Thanks for the ebay heads up!

Here is the link if anyone is interested.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SOUTH-BEND-...675100?hash=item3d6e11f2dc:g:INgAAOSw4CFY5va0

The metal version looks pretty nice too. But the plastic one is getting the job done just fine

Came across this pic on ebay. The seller tossed in this pic with his ad for a holder that goes on the bed. I messaged him about it. I'd much rather run this mount than using a mag base for the cross slide like I have been.
IMG_1470.jpg

Back