Chip Truck Rocket Ship

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfrazier

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ever wonder how the pro's get the chips out of the trucks... fast?
Chip Trailers are tipped to a 67 degree angle as shown - with the truck still attached.
chip-truck.jpg

And now the twice as fast version...
chip-truck-2.jpg

Weyerhaeuser Chip Facility, Springfield Oregon
These wood chips are delivered from various saw mills and Weyerhaeuser then sells them to International Paper. If you have enough logs that won't make saw grade, on site chipping is also a viable alternative, or you can sell loads of logs directly to this facility for chipping at the mill.

Cool.

Reminds me of unloading a wheat truck during harvest (back in the day) if the truck's hydraulic lift was out of commission. You pulled the truck's front end onto some dolly arrangement (thirty years back, so memory is dim). Activate the lift and raise the wheat truck to a similar but probably less steep position. Gravity works.

Cool pic, bfrazier. Thanks.

Have them in several pulp mills up here,saw an idiot having his trailer dumped and he left the engine running. others you back the trailer on and disconnect the horse.

I bought one of them eleven years ago for a project in eastern NC, I think it was Phelps but didn't have the box on the end. I also installed a BID version from New Brunswick. The Phelps was only used four years and the state pulled the subsidy so there it sits. Looking on google earth it was still there in 2018. I think the financial firm that owns it doesn't want to strip out the plant. It was a nice dumper. I have run into portable dumpers at various sites over the years and every one is very scary. The BID unit made it about 6 years before it got sold when the pulpmill it was in was shut down.

The pulp mill I worked at had a custom built double dumper with a design flaw in the primary hinges. One side of the hinge was bolted into a concrete foundation and the other side was tied to the deck. Chips could build up between the two halves of the hinge and would jolt the hinge every time it went up. One time a truck was part of the way in the air and one of the hinges pulled part of the way out of the concrete. The entire deck rotated about 30 degrees side ways with the truck still in place but at quite an angle. It took a crane and lot of work to get the truck off and it didn't come out in one piece. It was a double dumper and after that the drivers had to pull the tractor off for every dump on the remaining one. I was on vacation that week so didn't get any pictures. Several years later the remaining one had the same issue and I got a contractor in and made some serious modifications to beef it up. Most of the mill got stripped and converted to a power plant so I don't have to worry about that repair coming back to haunt me.

I imagine that if they're in common use, there must not be an issue with the engine oil in the tractor going places it isn't meant to, but I can sure see that being an issue. I do imagine that they are required to shut the engine down while being lifted.

If I was an O/O (Owner/Operator) I would probably take the time to drop the trailer on the lift if allowed, and just not subject MY tractor to that, a Company Truck????;):surprised3::):laughing::laughing::laughing:

Doug :cheers:

That aint nothing. Make a trip up to Lamberts Point pier6 and watch them dump trainloads of coal in a ship headed overseas. 8000 tons of coal perhr loading two ships at a time, 24hrs a day. Pier 6 is the largest coal loading facility in the world.

That aint nothing. Make a trip up to Lamberts Point pier6 and watch them dump trainloads of coal in a ship headed overseas. 8000 tons of coal perhr loading two ships at a time, 24hrs a day. Pier 6 is the largest coal loading facility in the world.

This place in Norfolk VA? You win! Just look at all those rail cars full of coal - they look like toys. I don't like our selling raw logs over seas, and I'm not sure stripping the hell out of our coal reserves only to sell it over sea is any better, but for sure, that is some sight.

coal-terminal.jpg

I've heard stories of a driver forgetting a coffee in a cup holder or stuff on the dash when dumping chips.

There was a mill around where I grew up in Maine that had something break on the tip platform and the truck came off it.
It was shut down for a lot time making repairs.. like over a year.
Can't remember which mill, was in the 90s, maybe early 2000s.

I've heard stories of a driver forgetting a coffee in a cup holder or stuff on the dash when dumping chips.

There was a mill around where I grew up in Maine that had something break on the tip platform and the truck came off it.
It was shut down for a lot time making repairs.. like over a year.
Can't remember which mill, was in the 90s, maybe early 2000s.

Dayum, it would be faster for me to drop the trailer on the dumper, than to secure all the Schitt in my cab;):innocent:

This place in Norfolk VA? You win! Just look at all those rail cars full of coal - they look like toys. I don't like our selling raw logs over seas, and I'm not sure stripping the hell out of our coal reserves only to sell it over sea is any better, but for sure, that is some sight.

coal-terminal.jpg

I forget if they use Rotary Dumpers there, or Rapid Discharge Hoppers, either would blow away the truck tipper for volume moved in time, but neither would compare for interesting to watch, the truck tipper would be much more dramatic to watch, at least for a couple dumps;)

Must be old news , Newcastle Australia is the largest coal loading facility in the world.

Must be old news , Newcastle Australia is the largest coal loading facility in the world.

Evidently you're right, Bewildered.

From what I could find:

In 2016, Norfolk Southern moved 9.46 million tons of coal through Pier 6 — a serious drop from its all-time high of 39.5 million tons, but still enough to make it the largest coal transloading facility in the Northern Hemisphere.

The port of Newcastle is the world’s largest coal export port. Rising demand for coal, particularly in the Asian region has resulted in a strong increase in the volume of coal exported through the port. In 2013 port throughput was 150.5 million tonnes, up from 68 million tonnes in 2000.

Back