Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t found any thing I like better than Stihl RS, it cuts fast bucking, cuts smooth milling, keep it out of the dirt, and it lasts a long time. My biggest complaint was cost, then I found a local dealer that has a buy one get one free deal. I tend to run saws that are big for the job at hand, so pulling the chain is never an issue. My other problem is the dealer quit cutting chain, he only sells what comes in the box, and no 404. So I may try some Oregon on my 45” bar.
Joe I'll be at my Stihl shop Tuesday .pretty sure he has .404 hanging on the wall. Always does buy 2 get 1 free. He's not to far from Clarence I think. In Shippensburg.

Loads 2 and 3. My new best friend had his truck loaded and helped me load the big stuff in my truck. He then followed me home and we unloaded. Nice pile should last a while for shoulder seasons. 20190602_135953.jpg
It's kinda like tree service wood since no two pieces are the same length with square cut ends. There are a few of these that I'm having trouble categorizing into novice/ farmer/ hillbilly/ caveman/ hoochie coochie bay/ butcher/ plunger cuts if anyone can help positively identify them.20190602_143229.jpg
20190602_143259.jpg
20190602_143315.jpg
20190602_143338.jpg
I'm trying not to pass judgement since I wasn't there and my new friend is such a good guy.

Joe I'll be at my Stihl shop Tuesday .pretty sure he has .404 hanging on the wall. Always does buy 2 get 1 free. He's not to far from Clarence I think. In Shippensburg.
I'll have to check, my Homelite 45" bar has the same number of drive links as a Stihl bar that is either an inch or two longer or shorter. I'm saving for an engraved Savage 99, so I'm not in a hurry to get a chain for that saw. It's just a novelty for GTG's.

What’s the preferred chain everyone here uses? Nothing fancy, just looking for something good. Cut some stringy oak today and this Husqvarna “80”chain wasn’t cutting it. Came with the saw....

Mostly stihl rs but I did get a couple loops of the new husky chain and like it. Rocked a chain good on a nail in the middle of a 40" round today. Buddy thought I was just getting gas and stuck his in there and finished the nail off for me. LOL! Old yard elm with 3 nails 20" into a 40" round. Atleast it is only a 32" loop so it shouldn't take long to fix :(

The most important thing needed to climb.......can't be bought.

:cool:

Balls, right? I must lack those. Cowgirl will be disappointed.

Stihl, there's no way you'll get me up a tree with a chainsaw. I'd rather break both legs and cut my arm off on the ground, it's less effort.

Balls, right? I must lack those. Cowgirl will be disappointed.

Stihl, there's no way you'll get me up a tree with a chainsaw. I'd rather break both legs and cut my arm off on the ground, it's less effort.
I prefer to keep things attached at this point in life. I took 15' out of the top of a pine tree from a boom lift with the FIL once. At that point you kinda know if **** goes sideways there wont be a need for the medics. If I did it again I'd rather be in the tree and taking half as much off the top at one time. Stupid probably covers that one not balls.

Some people have a fear of heights, others just don't. I have the fear, and can't get rid of it. It has diminished as I have forced myself to climb ladders and tree stands, but it is not gone.

Conversely, my brother and nephew don't have it … just the way it is.

If I have to climb a ladder to remove a limb from a tree, most likely I will be using a reciprocating saw! It is just much safer.

Others have a fear of chainsaws while on the ground. I have respect for them … always … but not fear.

I’ve climbed trees before with a climbing deer stand and a top handle saw and cut down piece by piece. Redneck yes but with a safety harness it gets the job done relatively safely. Last summer I had to cut a dead birch out from a red maple that it was intertwined in. Stood in the crotch of the maple to fell the top of the birch. Probably not by the book but the tree is down and I’m still here.

I don’t like extreme heights though. Even being in tall buildings makes me uncomfortable if I look straight down.

I'm kind of giggly, I just participated in my first online auction. Lol. Amongst the light fixtures my wife wanted, I scored a 25" bar. I also bid on one of those 2 in 1 file thingys but got outbid. Tried to jump it up at the last moment but fumbled my phone and missed. Oh well. Need the money for a chain anyway.
e84e55712574fc28b01248611205a627.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
you should hvae jumped on those Kombi tools that went, they went for really low prices, I had to go and setup some tents and completly forgot about it going on until i got home and missed everythign in my watch folder.

Well that's part of it, but a whole lot of balls with nothing else doesn't make a good climber.

It requires a clear head and some heart.

The gear is nice but once you're up there, it's all you.
I suspect that having a whole lot of balls would both weigh you down and get in the way; either one would make it very difficult to climb.

Loads 2 and 3. My new best friend had his truck loaded and helped me load the big stuff in my truck. He then followed me home and we unloaded. Nice pile should last a while for shoulder seasons. View attachment 739329
It's kinda like tree service wood since no two pieces are the same length with square cut ends. There are a few of these that I'm having trouble categorizing into novice/ farmer/ hillbilly/ caveman/ hoochie coochie bay/ butcher/ plunger cuts if anyone can help positively identify them.View attachment 739330
View attachment 739331
View attachment 739332
View attachment 739333
I'm trying not to pass judgement since I wasn't there and my new friend is such a good guy.

Looks to me like your friend has done you a big favour and cut up the large crotches, cutting the limbs right off. it's left weird looking logs but you can see all the knots, and you can now deal with the log a teenie bit easier than a big crotchety thing

Latest posts

Back