Eastonmade splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have way more then $3500 in just materials to have mine built. If you want speed and power, it's going to cost you. Plain and simple. A lot of people don't understand that, and think the faster, commercial splitters at too expensive and cost too much. You can speed one up, but then you typically lose the tonnage. Mine is around the 7-8 second mark and it's plenty fast for me. Usually have another helping, and if you're not at the controls, you're running your ass off to keep it fed and the table clear. I've had 2 people clearing and had to slow down so they could keep up, with the 6 way on it. Volume per hour is so vague. I could do many cord an hour if I left the splits large, so any claims of cord per hour is merely a selling point, but has no meaning to it. Only one I'd trust would be a box wedge, so all pieces where the same size, and even then, are you splitting 15" long pieces, or 20" long pieces?

Its more than power and speed. It is also about reliability. It doesnt matter if the splitter can split 1 cord or 10 cords an hour if it runs for one hour and you have to work on it for two. The whole point of using equipment is to reduce man hrs to produce the wood. I have split a full cord in 15mins with my current splitter.. I had 5 people keeping the machine fed and the wood stacked. that might seem fast, but its still 1hr 15min of man hours. A machine that will produce a cord with one man in one hr might sound slow, but its still faster than a machine that needs five people to keep it fed. The question would be if you use 5 people on that machine, would it still produce a cord per manhr. If it doesnt, then you havent accomplished anything.

When I was designing my wood processor, theory on paper said 30cord per hr. Cyl size, saw design, hyd flow and engine hp says this should be true, but only if every stick of wood split is 30in dia and bucked 32in lenghts, and nothing breaks. That also doesnt include prestageing the wood and getting it loaded on the processor, all involves manhrs and machinery. We all know that every tree isnt going to fit those specs and when they dont, you can expect a slow down in production. Every now and then, I also would have to stop and pee. I tire out a lot quicker than I used to also. Speed also has is own set of hazards. That cyl slamming in and out every few seconds is a perfect opportunity for the operator to make a mistake they cant overcome. Would you even want anybody around a splitting wedge with a super fast cycle. Cutting off hands and arms, or getting hit in the side of the head by flying splits, a lot to think about and a lot that can go wrong. Anybody that denies it could happen to them has never answered their cell phone while driving their car, or shut the front door on somebodies fingers, or slipped on wet grass in their front yard. Heck, I broke the tip off a new fishing pole walking out the front door to put it in the boat by shutting the house door on it. Humans have mental lapses, we get to comfortable with what we are doing and make mistakes.

My point was safety and if you throw enough money at something, you could make a splitter that would work well, be safe and last.

I have way more then $3500 in just materials to have mine built. If you want speed and power, it's going to cost you. Plain and simple. A lot of people don't understand that, and think the faster, commercial splitters at too expensive and cost too much. You can speed one up, but then you typically lose the tonnage. Mine is around the 7-8 second mark and it's plenty fast for me. Usually have another helping, and if you're not at the controls, you're running your ass off to keep it fed and the table clear. I've had 2 people clearing and had to slow down so they could keep up, with the 6 way on it. Volume per hour is so vague. I could do many cord an hour if I left the splits large, so any claims of cord per hour is merely a selling point, but has no meaning to it. Only one I'd trust would be a box wedge, so all pieces where the same size, and even then, are you splitting 15" long pieces, or 20" long pieces?
I can build a pretty good splitter for $3500, but I'm a scrounger and would be searching the scrap yards for parts. For personal use, this works out pretty well, but I dont think I would even consider scroungeing parts for a machine I intend to sale. For all new parts, $3500 doesnt go very far. Everybody wants speed and power,, full steam ahead. I think it is more for bragging rights than it is for production. The point is, if you are waiting on your machine you are wasting time and money. If your machine is so fast you are waiting on your helpers, then you are still wasting time and money. Of course, I would rather have a fast machine and wait on the help than to have a slow machine driving me crazy waiting on the machine. Dont know if there will ever be a machine that is "just right" for everyone

I can build a pretty good splitter for $3500, but I'm a scrounger and would be searching the scrap yards for parts. For personal use, this works out pretty well, but I dont think I would even consider scroungeing parts for a machine I intend to sale. For all new parts, $3500 doesnt go very far. Everybody wants speed and power,, full steam ahead. I think it is more for bragging rights than it is for production. The point is, if you are waiting on your machine you are wasting time and money. If your machine is so fast you are waiting on your helpers, then you are still wasting time and money. Of course, I would rather have a fast machine and wait on the help than to have a slow machine driving me crazy waiting on the machine. Dont know if there will ever be a machine that is "just right" for everyone
I didn't have time to scrounge for parts. I needed it done so I could use it.

I have a 12-22 with box wedge, 4 way, 6 way wedge. Andrew is a awesome guy and he comes from a background of wood processing fabricators! Top Notch. If you want to process wood in a hurry not to mention having a Honda Engine on it. Highly recommended

I agree 100%. My reference is the N.E. Loggers Expo. I’ve watched all the demos. Processors and splitters. The first question I inevitably ask is who is going to buy that wood you just threw on the truck or pile? Pieces so big a good woman couldn’t load them in the stove. The reply is, we’re just showing you how fast the machine is. It ain’t fast if I can’t sell the product your making. The box wedge has changed that and Eastonmade has, in my opinion, the best box wedge, hands down. If I was selling cut and split wood they’d be the outfit I’d be looking to. Very impressive overall.

I didn't have time to scrounge for parts. I needed it done so I could use it.
I dont know your situation or how much wood you split, but I dont sell wood and only try to process 4 or 5 cords a year and I might take all summer getting that done. Being retired, I have more time than money, I dont get in a hurry anymore. Different strokes for different folks.

I dont know your situation or how much wood you split, but I dont sell wood and only try to process 4 or 5 cords a year and I might take all summer getting that done. Being retired, I have more time than money, I dont get in a hurry anymore. Different strokes for different folks.
The song, I russ and russ can not getting any done

I do 10-12 cord for myself, and I do my Dad's as well. I use wood for primary heat in winter. My builder didn't have a lot of time to scrounge for parts. I do anywhere from 1 to 1.5 cord a day, cut, split, hauled, and in the basement, depending on what type of wood it is.

Agree with you, retired, working by myself, my 22 ton Speedco (14 sec.) is fast enough for me. I feed an OWB for heat and hot water and burn about 20-25 face cord per year (7-10 cords for those who do not like face cord). Just purchased it 5 years ago, before that splitting maul got it done. Speed costs in making machines, boats, cars and just about anything mechanical go faster. I am getting old and slow, so speed is no longer needed.

Agree with you, retired, working by myself, my 22 ton Speedco (14 sec.) is fast enough for me. I feed an OWB for heat and hot water and burn about 20-25 face cord per year (7-10 cords for those who do not like face cord). Just purchased it 5 years ago, before that splitting maul got it done. Speed costs in making machines, boats, cars and just about anything mechanical go faster. I am getting old and slow, so speed is no longer needed.
I usually scrounge my wood by myself, sometimes I cut it down and a lot of times its already down and equipment is on site to load the logs. Once the logs are home, I will take my time bucking, usually after working on a chainsaw and testing it out. I'll take the time to get everything sort of staged before dragging out the splitter. When it comes time to split, I make sure I have plenty of free help, sons and grandson, and try to split everything in one session. Stacking I piddle with until its all done. I use the tractor and fel to scoop the wood in the bucket and carry it inside the shed and stack out of the bucket. My grandson and his girlfriend stacked most of my wood last year. They can unload a bucket onto the stack faster than I can climb off the tractor and walk around to the front. I scrounged about a cord of boxelder the other day and have about a cord left from last year bucked and ready to split. Fishing is more important this time of year.

All those videos is making it hard on me. I’m probably going to have to buy one in about 6 weeks. I don’t sell wood but I’m sure it will make it easier on my back splitting my own.
Those are nice machines. I watched many videos when i was planning my design. There were only a few videos of EM units at that time. For me, just the log lift alone has been a valuable addition (to any design) and has significantly reduced my stressors during the splitting process.

Those are nice machines. I watched many videos when i was planning my design. There were only a few videos of EM units at that time. For me, just the log lift alone has been a valuable addition (to any design) and has significantly reduced my stressors during the splitting process.

Years ago I put a crane lift off a tire service truck on my homemade splitter and that helped a bunch. Then I put a new splitter together and built it with a log lift that would pickup a big round wasn't to long and the guys that helped me make my firewood parked the one with the crane and would only use the one with the log lift. The one with the crane got sold a couple years later.

Latest posts

Back