What fun! Huztl MS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmmce1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well it started last year I discovered that my 2005 MS290 was melted, I used it to heat my home for 5 years or so and it has seen sporadic use since then. I rebuilt it with a HIPA P&C from Amazon, original OEM crank and Koyo 6203 c3 bearings from Ebay. Has a blast doing it, was super easy and runs great! Had been thinking about one of the Huztl kits for a while so got the 440 and with the help from here and M.O. step by steps videos got it together and running well! Mostly all from the kit except for a different chinese carb from amazon, oem control lever and an Oregon clutch drum. Well now what? I needed a small saw so got the Huztl MS180 , super easy to build, everything from the kit except the clutch(springs were too heavy) and throttle rod(too long). Both start easy and run well, only have about 2 tanks through each so far so time tell. I think I'm ready to do the 660, getting bored! 20190109_165110.jpg 20190313_220847.jpg 20190420_162221.jpg 20190420_162227.jpg

I just wrapped up a huztl 440 build also.
Used an oem piston pin bearing and circlips. Couldn't get the Farmertec carb to pump any fuel and lost a spring trying to take it apart and mess with it, so it got a $12 carb from Amazon prime and it runs well.
Also had to do the oem choke lever as the Huztl ones seem to bind.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

I had trouble getting the Farmertec carb to tune right, the low speed screw was actually bent, not sure if that had anything to do with it so I got a $12.00 Amazon carb as well and it seems to work better. I used the kit piston pin bearing and circlips, I did trim them way back. Oh yeah, I did use an OEM fuel line, the kit line leaked at the carb.

I'm in the process of building right now
I had about 65 thousands swish with no base gasket. So I'm having 60 thousands removed from the base. I hope it does not screw up the timing too bad. Everything else seems good pritty close to the fit and finish to the 660 kit. I have a set of caber rings I'd like to use. Has anyone had experience with them in a hutzel top end? I remember reading at some point the caber wrings are too hard and will wear the cycle walls of a hutzel jug.

Except that a worn out or broken Chinese saw will likely be worth absolutely nothing, whereas a worn out or broken German saw will be worth a reasonable amount of money.

If the performance is the same for a shortened life span, that is one thing, but to accept reduced performance and no value at the end is another.

Rebuilding a worn out Stihl or Husqvarna for the same amount of money seems like a better option to me. IDK?

Except that a worn out or broken Chinese saw will likely be worth absolutely nothing, whereas a worn out or broken German saw will be worth a reasonable amount of money.

If the performance is the same for a shortened life span, that is one thing, but to accept reduced performance and no value at the end is another.

Rebuilding a worn out Stihl or Husqvarna for the same amount of money seems like a better option to me. IDK?
Plus you miss out on the thrill of the hunt. Last summer it felt like every other week I was setting a $20 complete 1125 Stihl or 372XP in my trunk. You get that "first pop after assembly" adrenaline rush three or four times in the process when you source and re-build OEM.

I think we have all seen this Chinese kit “debate” thing play out in the forums over many years. That’s OK that people are critical of the kits, there is a lot to criticize. However, I think there are some people and application were these saws are actually a lot of fun and make sense. I don’t think of the Farmer Tec kits as comparable to OEM by any measure and are certainly not a direct replacement. These kits have all kinds of issues and they are not for everyone but some people really enjoy building them and that’s also OK. I have several OEM Stihl and Husqvarna saw and really enjoy those as well if that matters.

Walt does a good job of explaining why some people really enjoy these FT saws.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeSmzDUfukI

I’m just asking a technical question related to saw building which unless something has changed is what this forum is all about.

Dropping 60 thousands likely to be a problem?

I haven’t built one of those kits, so my opinion is invalid. From a casual observer standpoint, I see them as a good learning tool, or a model to assemble (like a model airplane or something), or simply as a challenge.

But if you want a rockin’ saw, then why not buy one or build one from the best available, proven choices. Imo.

Chinese made stuff certainly isn’t all bad. Far from it.

I haven’t built one of those kits, so my opinion is invalid. From a casual observer standpoint, I see them as a good learning tool, or a model to assemble (like a model airplane or something), or simply as a challenge.

But if you want a rockin’ saw, then why not buy one or build one from the best available, proven choices. Imo.

Chinese made stuff certainly isn’t all bad. Far from it.

Absolutely.

Latest posts

Back