Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The gear is nice
and unbelievably expensive. I have a goal to learn the basics before next Summer. The bigger goal is affording the gear. Yeah, yeah, can't put a price on safety, blah, blah. When I hear purveyors of nose-bleed-inducing expensive gear start down that line I turn off straight away. Even second hand gear here is expensive. For the occasional climbing need it's almost impossible to justify. That said, if I was all about the money to justify the gear I have I would have stayed staring at a computer and never ventured into the woods.

When the climbing gear is more expensive than my ute, it becomes a significant barrier to adoption. I figure I've got about 4 months of bargain hunting to see if I can come up with enough good gear to get a few lessons and experiment safely.

If anyone reading this stumbles upon any bargains, please can you PM me? Thanks in advance.

Scored a good find, a local guy with a portable sawmill. Basically getting big butt ends, slabs, etc. But I ain't picky. Question whilst I'm here, I have an old 266 XP, the thing will rip your arm off lol, anyway, last year before winter for the 1st time I actually emptied completely the gas tank. Today I needed it for those big butt ends. I put a tiny bit of gas in it just to fire it up while still at home, I poured the fuel & filled the bar oil. Got side tracked & when I picked up the saw gas was all over the underside. My 1st thought was wtf, I drain the gas last year & what, did the gas tank crack? But then I got thinking the fuel line probably failed. As far as I know its all original. Basically my question is, there's no way it could be a cracked tank right? Any thoughts. Here's some pics of butt rounds & my growing pile of other wood to be cut/split. There's pine there also, I didn't take any today, but I have before just for the fire pit. Have good safe week guys!
2a85e2ecbefc83d63ceab17a70c2db49.jpg
85310ba74d3ba441b4e3bbca0c3cfbff.jpg
acb7d41ca7678041270cc4317c175b24.jpg
d7d2f89fcad9a78819b1a8d42d07d9b0.jpg
33f1e8aad8ad87bbcb161160f248157d.jpg
2dd6e35e5d836953686ab507ea9d2049.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Scored a good find, a local guy with a portable sawmill. Basically getting big butt ends, slabs, etc. But I ain't picky. Question whilst I'm here, I have an old 266 XP, the thing will rip your arm off lol, anyway, last year before winter for the 1st time I actually emptied completely the gas tank. Today I needed it for those big butt ends. I put a tiny bit of gas in it just to fire it up while still at home, I poured the fuel & filled the bar oil. Got side tracked & when I picked up the saw gas was all over the underside. My 1st thought was wtf, I drain the gas last year & what, did the gas tank crack? But then I got thinking the fuel line probably failed. As far as I know its all original. Basically my question is, there's no way it could be a cracked tank right? Any thoughts. Here's some pics of butt rounds & my growing pile of other wood to be cut/split. There's pine there also, I didn't take any today, but I have before just for the fire pit. Have good safe week guys!
2a85e2ecbefc83d63ceab17a70c2db49.jpg
85310ba74d3ba441b4e3bbca0c3cfbff.jpg
acb7d41ca7678041270cc4317c175b24.jpg
d7d2f89fcad9a78819b1a8d42d07d9b0.jpg
33f1e8aad8ad87bbcb161160f248157d.jpg
2dd6e35e5d836953686ab507ea9d2049.jpg

Be careful while splitting some of those rounds. There are a few that I see, like in your second pic, that seem to have metal imbedded in the wood ( the blackish blue discoloration).

Balls, right? I must lack those. Cowgirl will be disappointed.

Stihl, there's no way you'll get me up a tree with a chainsaw. I'd rather break both legs and cut my arm off on the ground, it's less effort.
No, not really. There are a lot of dead guys that had BIG BALLS, and no brains.

The fuel leak could be the tank, the line, or the carb. I'm guessing when you drained the fuel, the gaskets dried out, so my bet is the carb. It is why I don't drain my saws!

Let us know when you figure it out. I have also seen a lot of cracked tanks, often under the motor where you can't see the crack!

Be careful while splitting some of those rounds. There are a few that I see, like in your second pic, that seem to have metal imbedded in the wood ( the blackish blue discoloration).
Yes the guy that has the mill warned me, good thing to, I didn't know. I usually get all my wood from my father in laws place, like 11 acres. So trees are pure. But yeah thanks

The fuel leak could be the tank, the line, or the carb. I'm guessing when you drained the fuel, the gaskets dried out, so my bet is the carb. It is why I don't drain my saws!

Let us know when you figure it out. I have also seen a lot of cracked tanks, often under the motor where you can't see the crack!
Thanks for the advice. I'll defiantly let you know, I did go ahead & order a fuel line & filter. And if it needs a carb gasket kit I'll do that. Whatever it takes, I need the saw. I paid $100 for the saw probably close to 15 years ago. It just keeps running. I have a 550 XP for normal everyday stuff, but the big one sure comes in handy. I'd like to get a bigger bar for it to. Any idea how big it will take

Thanks for the advice. I'll defiantly let you know, I did go ahead & order a fuel line & filter. And if it needs a carb gasket kit I'll do that. Whatever it takes, I need the saw. I paid $100 for the saw probably close to 15 years ago. It just keeps running. I have a 550 XP for normal everyday stuff, but the big one sure comes in handy. I'd like to get a bigger bar for it to. Any idea how big it will take

It's recommended not to go any bigger than a 32" bar. http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...9f5525102886abf488256b52001a33af?OpenDocument

you should hvae jumped on those Kombi tools that went, they went for really low prices, I had to go and setup some tents and completly forgot about it going on until i got home and missed everythign in my watch folder.
I saw those but figured I'd best stick to the light fixtures my wife wanted and sneaking in the bar I wanted. I get in enough trouble as it is! Lol.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Looks to me like your friend has done you a big favour and cut up the large crotches, cutting the limbs right off. it's left weird looking logs but you can see all the knots, and you can now deal with the log a teenie bit easier than a big crotchety thing
He did do a decent job of trimming most of the limbs flush - there are only a few that will make stacking a challenge. It is pine so there are typically not many crotches to work around. Actually the different lengths are really no trouble other than a few that have to be cut to fit the splitter. I got maybe a third split with the Fiskars already. So yeah, for the time and money I have invested in it I got a good deal. I am still perplexed as to some of the weird cuts though!

Back