first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webevan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

Im going to pick up a used Dolmar 5150, any advice on what to look for?

Im sure the guy is trustworthy and i believe he is going to get me setup with a great saw, just curious if there are things i should check for?

Would this be a good saw for an inexperienced guy just looking to buck up some firewood weekly? I spend a few hours cutting wood almost everyday.

Thanks for any advice!

It is a good saw.
Keep your chain sharp.
Have spare sharp loops to prevent yourself from pushing on a dull chain.
Never forget to mix your gas with the right oil.
Killed my first saw by using 4 stroke mix oil.
If you ever have damage, try to improve your saw (only use quality parts/bars/chains/sprockets etc).
Clean your airfilter.
If something doesn't feel or sound normal. Stop.
Find it and fix it before you brick the thing.

But most important. You are the most important part. Go on a chainsaw course. Watch instructional video's.
Wear safetygear. Always.
Remember, nobody ever intentionally went and cut his or her limbs off. Stay focussed.

And have fun!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

I like my 5105...very smooth and good power/torque for a 50cc saw. I am running a 16in bar and 3/8 chain, but have seen guys going up to a 20in. I dug out the catalyst in the muffler to allow the exhaust to flow freely and opened the muffler up as well. Getting rid the cat will allow cooler running, too. Keep the air filter clean and run it. They are good professional saws.....enjoy.
4cab9abe209c815dbaeca27977369dbe.jpg
ca974e6cadfe5919a5c2c7e9a30e9b66.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Great advice so far. They are great saws. I've had quite a few cross my bench and it's rare that I don't have one around. As stated, the cat mufflers can be a source of excess heat. Some of them have epoxy covering the H and L screws. This isn't ideal but can be remedied. The compression on these can be quite high so a test of it isn't always conclusive of damage. I'd take a T-27 screwdriver with me and pull the muffler. The auto parts stores have them for cheap. Learn how to use the easy start feature if it is equipped. You can hurt yourself trying to drop start one of those.

Good luck on picking up what is a great one saw plan for the vast majority of cutters.

Latest posts

Back