Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had cold crops in. Just got corn and zukes, squash etc in. Replanted beans 2x. Aint lookin good. Hope u fair better
Try Tema green beans for early planting. They are a brown seed which works better early in cooler soil temps.

Some people have a fear of heights, others just don't. I have the fear, and can't get rid of it. It has diminished as I have forced myself to climb ladders and tree stands, but it is not gone.

Conversely, my brother and nephew don't have it … just the way it is.

If I have to climb a ladder to remove a limb from a tree, most likely I will be using a reciprocating saw! It is just much safer.

Others have a fear of chainsaws while on the ground. I have respect for them … always … but not fear.

I don't have a fear of climbing, I'm just too fat!:D

I went out today to test a 250c my mate repaired and also ran the 55 Husky I rebuilt for the Ex to use so she can cut wood and stop pestering me to do it:D Both ran well which was pleasing to see and with a bit of luck that's the last we will see of both of em as that Stihl 250 has been a PITA to get sorted, which is common for these bloody things apparently.

We got a load dropped off last week, debarked tops mainly and some bigger stuff that doesn't make for top grade firewood. Firewood is at premium prices here in Massachusetts, harder to get log loads in western Ma. Most of the firewood now is run through processors and sold at a premium price.I got this load for $700 and he said it will be over 8 cord. neighbor is being logged out so I asked the forester his price per load for tops and he came back with $750 for 7 cords worth. We still have over 1.5 cord left for the OWB from last year. I would love to get 10 cord surplus so I can have 10 dry for a year. Burned allot less last year with 9 month aged wood vs the 3 month last year.003.JPG

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 11
We got a load dropped off last week, debarked tops mainly and some bigger stuff that doesn't make for top grade firewood. Firewood is at premium prices here in Massachusetts, harder to get log loads in western Ma. Most of the firewood now is run through processors and sold at a premium price.I got this load for $700 and he said it will be over 8 cord. neighbor is being logged out so I asked the forester his price per load for tops and he came back with $750 for 7 cords worth. We still have over 1.5 cord left for the OWB from last year. I would love to get 10 cord surplus so I can have 10 dry for a year. Burned allot less last year with 9 month aged wood vs the 3 month last year.View attachment 739982
That is expensive for the tops, is that with you cutting them on his property :eek:.

I get all the Oak and Hickory I want from my local tree guy, cause I fix his saws! My problem is finding the time to cut and split it all … and the milling!!!

Still have Black Walnut, Ash, White Oak and Tulip logs to mill … but no place to put it … and firewood to be processed at 4 different locations!!! No time to do it all!!! Plus, no one want wood till the fall, and I had stacking and then re stacking!

One guy is going to take some wood soon, so I will just split and deliver it! I've got a huge pile of Oak + Hickory in my back lot that needs to be stacked. So much work when you do it alone!

For you no. For the plant manager it's great stuff.:surprised3:
I'll just cut it to manageable pieces and toss it in the woods behind the warehouse. I clean up the downed limbs and stuff when ask. Theres better trees on the property that are bound to fall befor I retire :yes:

It’s not terrible. Above softwood but below birch/red maple
I'm about to have more red maple then I know what to do with.20190604_183548.jpg We have a guy coming to give us a quote on taking this one down today. If it goes on it's own it will reach the house so it's got to go.

The daughters boyfriend sent this picture today. He saw a city crew taking down a tree & asked could he have it, they said sure. Him & the daughter are bringing it over this weekend. I think he's a keeper
Sweet deal.
Hopefully he works out :).

Some wood from the day before giving the 250c it's first test after doing some mods to it, then the snow came in and that put an end to that for a day or so until things dried out a bit.

BjE3egKl.jpg

KgtEv9cl.jpg

OKlzNsml.jpg

Back