Stihl 064 flywheel/ coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed S

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought an old 064 on e-bay that had a scored piston and cylinder. Put an old piston and cylinder on that I had lying around. Saw ran, but got real hot and would not cut, would stall. Replaced seals, crankcase gasket, and bearings. Now there is no spark. Flywheel is in attached picture, 1122-400-1204-1 and 1122-400-1203-2. Coil is a CDIC -106/1. Cant find a replacement for the coil. Is there a non CDIC coil that would work since it has 1203 on the flywheel as well as the 1204? Any information relating to this would be helpful. And yes, I realize this is a frequent question. Thanks. ES

Attachments

• 064 flywheel.jpg
    064 flywheel.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 26
A 0000-400-1300 universal (and unlimited) coil should work with that flywheel in the 1203 position. Common coil on lots of Stihls including the 029/MS290.
Unfortunately it has only one slot in the flywheel. Not sure why it has both numbers on the flywheel. Thanks. ES

The original thread should be checked out as well for anyone serious about the subject. The coil pics are great to have all together. Very valuable collection of info between both versions of the thread.

Interesting that the 1122-400-1203 / 0000-400-1300 combination didn't make the list, though. Straight out of a later 064 IPL. That coil can be a magic bullet for several flywheel compatibility issues on several saws including as a points eliminator / conversion coil for the early 028's. Guess that's why it's occasionally referred to as the universal coil. Used to be able to find em for $15 ~ $20 on the bay, but now that's only for the imports..., which I understand to be quite suitable replacements depending on who you talk to. I'd say they're worth the gamble since the current OEM price is $130 for one.

And that flywheel may well suit both applications with the same slot depending on which coil is used. Didn't have time to go through the threads to check before posting this, but the .pdf's may tell the tale if you can figure out how they flow and which combinations are for regular ignitions vs. ones with generators. Quite a few combinations are listed, but mostly for the 066/660.

Untitled.jpg

The original thread should be checked out as well for anyone serious about the subject. The coil pics are great to have all together. Very valuable collection of info between both versions of the thread.

Interesting that the 1122-400-1203 / 0000-400-1300 combination didn't make the list, though. Straight out of a later 064 IPL. That coil can be a magic bullet for several flywheel compatibility issues on several saws including as a points eliminator / conversion coil for the early 028's. Guess that's why it's occasionally referred to as the universal coil. Used to be able to find em for $15 ~ $20 on the bay, but now that's only for the imports..., which I understand to be quite suitable replacements depending on who you talk to. I'd say they're worth the gamble since the current OEM price is $130 for one.

And that flywheel may well suit both applications with the same slot depending on which coil is used. Didn't have time to go through the threads to check before posting this, but the .pdf's may tell the tale if you can figure out how they flow and which combinations are for regular ignitions vs. ones with generators. Quite a few combinations are listed, but mostly for the 066/660.

Thanks for the information, I will check it out. ES

You should also note that early 064 had different mounting holes for coils. Some had 2, some had 3, the 3 hole would accept later coils. The 2 hole could use a 046 "dogleg "coil or the bosch original. Later coils can be adapted to the unusual early cases with an adapter to use the universal coil. There are posts here on that here too.

You should also note that early 064 had different mounting holes for coils. Some had 2, some had 3, the 3 hole would accept later coils. The 2 hole could use a 046 "dogleg "coil or the bosch original. Later coils can be adapted to the unusual early cases with an adapter to use the universal coil. There are posts here on that here too.
Thanks, my case has three mounting holes. I guess I will be looking for a flywheel and coil on e-bay. ES

Back