Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut a bunch of Walnut and Mulberry to firewood length, and split some with the X-27 … same stuff I took down last year. Hey, they darn Mulberry is completely cut off, and still growing green leaves!

It is also tougher to cut than the Walnut, and tougher to split (more fibers), but the X-27 gets it done!

Happy D Day everyone. It is amazing the sacrifices that were made so we did not have to wake up and say "Heil Hitler" every morning.

Lots of men and women gave it their all for what we have , never forget !

Some wood from the day before giving the 250c it's first test after doing some mods to it, then the snow came in and that put an end to that for a day or so until things dried out a bit.

BjE3egKl.jpg

KgtEv9cl.jpg

OKlzNsml.jpg

You somewhere here on the Eastcoast of Canada ?
Still a continuous burn here !
Might be able to shut down the furnace this weekend maybe lol
Cantoo , Happy Bidet !!!! Sorry I'm late .

BTW , Spruce does not have leaves , jus sayin ,,,

Some scrounging doesn’t go good. About a mile down the road a big oak came out at the roots, couldn’t be all this rain, and came down on the power lines and the road. While the power company and tree service was there I talked to the guy whose property the tree was on, told him I would cut the limbs and trunk up and haul the wood away, you deal with the branches. “Hey thanks, help yourself.” Talked to the lady across the road, her husband is in poor physical health, and told her the same thing. I’m standing by the tree with the cop that has the road blocked and her husband walks down. I said “Hey George, where do you want the branches piled?” He flips out!!! “You want that free wood then you haul the branches away and clean up the yard.” I turned and walked away. The cop says, “He’s awful friendly for you trying to save him work or money.” Guess I’m only getting wood from one side of the road. I did mention to the tree service what side to throw the wood on and said thanks. Guess what side they were throwing the wood on when I left?

I'm about to have more red maple then I know what to do with.View attachment 740053 We have a guy coming to give us a quote on taking this one down today. If it goes on it's own it will reach the house so it's got to go.
How'd the quote go James.
Are you guys trying to save the maple and apple(looks like an apple anyway?), should be easy to get to go that way, aim for the tractor lol.
Or does it sprawl out to the left in the picture a lot.

I burn near anything that burns! Basswood, pine, tamarack, cedar, poplar, kids toys, soft maple, hard woods are nice but reality..........
Kind of the way I am, well maybe except for the kids toys:laugh:
Well the road is finally open to my high elevation wood area, don’t look like I have to worry about getting too hot if I go there tomorrow.3FDBBA27-74E0-40FA-8436-0CDF144C3D40.png :cool:, maybe I should try a lower area...

Took the firewood locating tool out for a ride last weekend 783CDE40-22BC-46CA-B17D-EEF7212723F6.jpegfound a little snow..:D. Should have brought my skis. Did find some nice dead standing red fir down lower that was pretty close to the road, and even on the uphill side:).

Kind of the way I am, well maybe except for the kids toys:laugh:
Well the road is finally open to my high elevation wood area, don’t look like I have to worry about getting too hot if I go there tomorrow.View attachment 740136 :cool:, maybe I should try a lower area...

Took the firewood locating tool out for a ride last weekend View attachment 740137found a little snow..:D. Should have brought my skis. Did find some nice dead standing red fir down lower that was pretty close to the road, and even on the uphill side:).
Sounds good to me Nate, I'm gonna be like that snow tomorrow, melting :baba:. Calling for a high of 82, I'm glad they think it's going to be a cooler summer, 82 is higher than I like.

Sounds good to me Nate, I'm gonna be like that snow tomorrow, melting :baba:. Calling for a high of 82, I'm glad they think it's going to be a cooler summer, 82 is higher than I like.
Yeah the cooler weather is nice for cutting wood for sure. I’m with you there, that’s a little warm.

Saw this today 857A2C4B-3CAE-4AC7-986E-3EF678BEC7F6.jpeglooks like it would be a great firewood truck! Lift gate, dump bed, winch on top at front of bed. $4500, seems little high to me, it’s well used, nice set up though. Had access to a flat bed with lift gate from work in Alaska, sure made loading larger rounds nice.

Yeah the cooler weather is nice for cutting wood for sure. I’m with you there, that’s a little warm.

Saw this today View attachment 740138looks like it would be a great firewood truck! Lift gate, dump bed, winch on top at front of bed. $4500, seems little high to me, it’s well used, nice set up though. Had access to a flat bed with lift gate from work in Alaska, sure made loading larger rounds nice.
Leave the lift gate a couple feet off the ground, then pull logs right onto it/the bed, then when you're all loaded up raise it the rest of the way, should be able to haul 14' logs loaded to the top of the rails.
Small print; you may have to modify the lift gate or build a log arch to get the higher layers on, but it could be done.
Lots of options if you're willing to spend that kind of cash to get some assistants pulling logs to the rd/truck.
I like getting things done in the fall/spring as long as it's not too muddy. It's been a good spring for getting things done here.
And fishing :D. Had some help getting this one in tonight :).
Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 10.30.58 PM.png

Getting dark and power is still out so I guess scrounging cutting begins in the morning.

sorry to hear D -

today's afternoon storms passed us by! :) just S of me... coupe tornadoes and such. hail. winds. trees in the roadways. and 8 powerlines all but down. they had to shut that section of grid down til repairs could be made. I can tell u one thing... all that is bad, but loosing power and so no a/c in these temps.... real bad! :rare2:

:yes:

Latest posts

Back