Loving my new MS461!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canamkayaker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Since the turkeys haven’t been cooperating. I thought I’d run a few tanks through the new saw. I just cut firewood for my family but I’ve been missing a bigger saw for a few years. This was the last 461 my local shop had. Very satisfied!
d9729286f2237c7c746dd6375da10949.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB10AC60-02E8-48FA-A596-F00FF31A8E56.jpeg CB10AC60-02E8-48FA-A596-F00FF31A8E56.jpeg CB10AC60-02E8-48FA-A596-F00FF31A8E56.jpeg
Nice, one of my all time favorites. Just picked up 2019 stihl catalog the other day & 441 & 461 are not in there,only the 462 however I just saw a 461r last week that had January 2019 manufacture date.

I bought a 461 with the west coast setup in March with a 2019 manufacture date. Now that I’ve run a 462 I’m largely glad I’ll have my 046/441/461 to run for a while.

my new 461 also has a march 2019 date not wrap version ,
best saw --i have run, but I'm only a after work and weekend warrior

What didn't you like about the 462 as compared to the 046/461 family of saws?

The balance with longer bars is my biggest issue. Weight isn’t too big a deal, I’d rather have it balanced than the powerhead be really light. I also really don’t like the way the whole top cover is one piece and how there’s no distinct air box. The AV is also really soft. I get that it’s a spring system, but Stihl had a really good setup on the 361, 441 & 661 with springs, and Husqvarna has been doing it for longer than Stihl. It also, largely by virtue of a very short stroke, doesn’t pull a longer bar as well as a 46, 441 or even a 440 and the 44 series has less displacement than this saw.

With that said, it is very light for its displacement, accelerates very quickly, and you can flick it around with a short bar real easily. I can probably adjust my cutting style to keep it wound up more with a long bar, but the way I cut it’s frustrating. With a 28 it’s real nose heavy witch makes limbing hard when I limb by flicking the nose around so there’s no need to bend over.

It’s just not designed where it fits in with how I cut or maintain my equipment. The prior generation works with how I work. Maybe that’s because I learned, around the new millenium, how to work with the prior generation of equipment on 044s, 046s, 371/372s, 385s, 660s, 440s & 460s and now I’ll gradually adapt to the new stuff the same way I have with heavy equipment and CNC machine tools. Time will tell. If I can’t, I’ll probably find a Husqvarna dealer and start running 572s. I am also interested in getting my paws on the 500i and see how it does.

One last thing-the clutch cover is anemic as all get out. I really like the captured nuts, though.

The balance with longer bars is my biggest issue. Weight isn’t too big a deal, I’d rather have it balanced than the powerhead be really light. I also really don’t like the way the whole top cover is one piece and how there’s no distinct air box. The AV is also really soft. I get that it’s a spring system, but Stihl had a really good setup on the 361, 441 & 661 with springs, and Husqvarna has been doing it for longer than Stihl. It also, largely by virtue of a very short stroke, doesn’t pull a longer bar as well as a 46, 441 or even a 440 and the 44 series has less displacement than this saw.

With that said, it is very light for its displacement, accelerates very quickly, and you can flick it around with a short bar real easily. I can probably adjust my cutting style to keep it wound up more with a long bar, but the way I cut it’s frustrating. With a 28 it’s real nose heavy witch makes limbing hard when I limb by flicking the nose around so there’s no need to bend over.

It’s just not designed where it fits in with how I cut or maintain my equipment. The prior generation works with how I work. Maybe that’s because I learned, around the new millenium, how to work with the prior generation of equipment on 044s, 046s, 371/372s, 385s, 660s, 440s & 460s and now I’ll gradually adapt to the new stuff the same way I have with heavy equipment and CNC machine tools. Time will tell. If I can’t, I’ll probably find a Husqvarna dealer and start running 572s. I am also interested in getting my paws on the 500i and see how it does.

One last thing-the clutch cover is anemic as all get out. I really like the captured nuts, though.
Thanks, I'm a "O" series Stihl and "3" series Husky guy myself. I dont like nose heavy saws at all, that, and the AV, is why I prefer Huskys. I wasn't fond of the spring feel of the 441 & 661 I tried, though i could get used to them. The 462 sounds like a good 60cc saw replacement that can fill the roll of a 70cc saw, or more of an east coast saw where shorter bars are the norm. Most folks around here put 32 or 36 inch bars on 70cc saws.

I believe mine was on the shelf for quite some time but I wanted a non M tronic bigger saw

You nailed it man.

Nice saw.

Those turkeys never cooperate for me.............neither do the deer but I have increased patience for them. :)

You nailed it man.

Nice saw.

Those turkeys never cooperate for me.............neither do the deer but I have increased patience for them. :)

I’ve come to really hate turkey hunting! Lol. I’ll get after them next year though. Good hunting to you

Back