What's your favorite chainsaw file ....Nothing quite like a brand new chainsaw file for sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A redneck goes to the hardware store and asks for a file.

"Right this way sir"

"How about a nice flat bastard??"

"No" , he replies loudly.

"Give me one of those round ****ers!!!!"

I use a flat for the chains on my 5601 and my coworkers call me dumb bastard for doing that but somehow my saw cuts better than our work saws.

I'm partial to Save Edge and Oberg. Nowadays Oberg seems to be supplying Bahco. Easy to tell as they badge every file they make with 'Oberg' far as I can tell.
I'll have to check that out. Once you learn to use a flat file you'll never touch a round file[cept for gullets].

Just like OEM branded oil filters, air filters and oil.

Chevy
Ford
Mopar
Stihl
Husky

Everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I worked for a amc/jeep dealer we had a car come in with a knock. The am cheap bargain basement 99 cent oil filter came apart inside and sent metal filings into the oil system. I always used good quality oil filters anyway.

I think my biggest problem using round chain saw files is I tend to drag the file in reverse across the tooth dulling it. I should always go in one direction when filing. When I go in one direction the file lasts longer. On 3/8” chisel I use the Oregon 7/32” file n guide system on the top edge of the tooth. I also open up the gullet with a 7/32” file.

I'll have to check that out. Once you learn to use a flat file you'll never touch a round file[cept for gullets].

I use semi chisel mostly. I work on an old large estate. Square chain just wouldn't last long at all. I have actually nicked a stone wall with semi chisel chain, and it just keeps chugging along.

157830679.eMGndjgj.beech14.jpg

Vises - I learned to sharpen with a vise on a workbench, in a basement, with a nice bright light shining on everything. Tough to beat for convenience and perfect accuracy. So I used to drag around a little "stump vise" that you could tap into any ole handy stump. It always rusted itself shut, hard, and I would coax it back open with penetrating oil and a lot of hammering and swearing until it would open and close again. And then I would forget about it completely for another year, and have to bust out the penetrating oil again because in the meantime I was always just using the handiest workbench ever - a tailgate.
Tailgate is all I ever use unless I’m not close to one.

Oregon, parred, any Swede file. The huztl files suck. Maybe good for toasting marshmallows.

Tailgate is all I ever use unless I’m not close to one.

Thats what im doing this very minute. Tailgating saw sharpening [emoji23][emoji23].
bfbfa321ad5c6a8e670a6bed8307a601.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

What is the tree you cut there?

That is a long dead horsechestnut(nothing like our chestnuts stateside). They only live to get about as big as you see in that pic, and then die. It's a worthless wood for me. Doesn't burn well, rots too easily for construction, and you can't even carve it because it doesn't last long. Beautiful tree when in bloom, tho. So I will avoid cutting one as much as possible. As you can see in the pic, it is next to our walled garden. It started to lean towards the wall after a storm, so I had to remove it.
The estate here is very old. Most of the work I do is maintenance. I try not to fall anything out of the forestry that I don't have to. But storms come and thigns happen.

Here's a Beech I had to remove once it started to lose some limbs after a storm, and due to internal rot since it was starting to show it's age. This is at the entrance to the cabin around the back of the farm house. So we couldn't have a danger tree there where people would walk about or kids would play. It was maybe 5' DBH. I had to cut a lot of the buttresses to get the handle to clear as I was using a full wrap on the ported 044 at the time. I've since gone to a standard wrap to avoid having to do this, and to stump smaller trees more easily.

158669480.HAwmMp50.jpg

And a view from the opposite direction of the original pic of the chestnut. Both pics make it look like a closer call than it is because it rolled at least a half revolution towards the wall after it hit the ground - which terrified me, of course. That wall is something like 300 years old:

160009630.cCSOanmj.jpg

Get the chain clean, and let the metal act on the metal. A film of oil or dirt and the file does not make good contact and will feel dull.

When I am out in the wilderness and have no choice but to file away, go 1 or two strokes per cutter, wiping the file across the back of your glove every stroke. After doing each cutter this way, then begin filing and making an actual difference.

Do you use an old file for the cleaning strokes, rather than 'contaminate' your good file?

My dealer got in some Timber Savage files last year by request from one of the logging crews he supplies. So far I'm pretty pleased with them. Seem to hold up better than Oregon, Stihl, or Husqy.

Back