Need recommendations for a hand held hedge trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egraham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i need to buy a handheld hedge trimmer and I need some advice. I will either buy a pro model husky or Stihl. I own both brands already.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

I asked on the handheld tools forum and did not get much feedback.

Thanks

All the pros I have known in the area run Redmax. Redmax used to be owned by Komatsu but were purchased by Husqvarna years ago. I don’t know if there is any difference between the current husky models and redmax. I have a stihl that goes on my fs130 and it works well. Sharpening one is a skill.

If have Stihl Hs45 with a 2’ blade. If I was to buy again I’d get battery powered Stihl or husky. The hedge trimmer has the longest battery life of all the devices in their range the blowers have the shortest battery life.

I’d say Stihl HS80...can be picked up quite cheap second hand now. Get the 30” cutting bar; they are tough as old boots and can cut relatively thick stuff. We call mine ‘the old slag’ and she gets used the most of all our hedging machines. Nice and adjustable too with the rotating handle :chainsaw:

I run this:hl95.jpg
Cost me $500. Way better than the rear handle ones. It lets me be away from the shrub and see what I'm doing. Making a sphere or cone is a breeze. Blades will accept 1" branches , but 3/4" is probably better for the max. Head rotates, can reach about 10 feet comfortably.

I have a Stihl HS-56, and it's been a very good, dependable tool. Strong enough to cut and shape everything I have.

But, to be honest, the hedge trimmer that I use the most is the articulating hedge trimmer attachment on my Kombi KM-130. That thing cuts splendidly, and is less tiring to use than the HS-56. I tend to do the lion's share of trimming with the kombi, and clean up the odds and ends with the HS-56.

Thanks. I already have a combi with the hedge trimmer head but I have a bunch of bushes that are low to the ground that are hard to get it’s the kombi.

I think I need a handheld also

Thanks. I already have a combi with the hedge trimmer head but I have a bunch of bushes that are low to the ground that are hard to get it’s the kombi.

I think I need a handheld also
Agreed, I’ve got several combis and they all get a lot of use but none have the grunt, cutting diameter capacity and ruggedness of the hs80...it’s my go to dirty/nasty cutting machine and it takes it all

Lol no still talking about hedges...the nasty dirty ones that haven’t been done in 15+ years and have bits of low tensile wire shite (we call it rabbit netting over here) throughout. I add x2 new blades for the old slag on the quote and just get stuck in...yup still talking about bushes :sweet:

Latest posts

Back