Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the cooler weather is nice for cutting wood for sure. I’m with you there, that’s a little warm.

Saw this today View attachment 740138looks like it would be a great firewood truck! Lift gate, dump bed, winch on top at front of bed. $4500, seems little high to me, it’s well used, nice set up though. Had access to a flat bed with lift gate from work in Alaska, sure made loading larger rounds nice.

if I needed it or wanted it, $3500 would be ok to me... assuming it runs ok too and all systems work....

Sounds good to me Nate, I'm gonna be like that snow tomorrow, melting :baba:. Calling for a high of 82, I'm glad they think it's going to be a cooler summer, 82 is higher than I like.

Sunday's high here now predicted to be 98F... up from 97f forecast... :nofunny:

Lots of men and women gave it their all for what we have , never forget !

and for many of those that survived... survival conditions often beyond any sense of reasonable human endurance! war is he**. I guess by design!

some milestones for me as a US Marine veteran who has studied WWII from both sides...

Pearl Harbor - my mon lived in Honolulu when Japs attacked!
entry into WWII
B-17's over Germany night bombing
Churchill
Iwo J
D-Day
shooting down Yamamoto
sinking the Yamamoto
Midway
Guadalcanal
McArther...

and, last but not least

The A-Bomb!

zpt.jpg

Happy D Day everyone. It is amazing the sacrifices that were made so we did not have to wake up and say "Heil Hitler" every morning.

you are right MM - mite have a dif flare over at the AS Good Morning check in thread if we had not prevailed... lol :chainsaw:

2nd crew got the job for $600... including clean up and haul off. I got a call... QB walking dog... tree is down. take all the wood u want!... I was up and a-tam...

some of it was bigger than I wanted to mess with... but plenty suited me just fine. and crew friendly and tossed into piles for me... oak-a-plenty!PB070002.JPG PB070003.JPG PB070004.JPG PB070005.JPG

base about 26x30 or so...

they were an Echo crew... 680 and 2 380's....

I got plenty...oak farwood sized and to split ~ crew just tossed to curb 4-5 piles like this. I picked a lot by hand, too... then later on we got into some of the larger stuff... they even delivered a couple of big chunks for me. offered it all, but alas... I am a glutton for only so much punishment... lolPB070006.JPG

quite a pile of oak for just a lil ol neighborhood scrounge... well, imo. with this and the other oak scrounge couple weeks ago... I figure could be close to 1-1 1/2 full cords. will know by wheelbarrow loads. wheelbarrow is 10 cu ft. so 13 loads would be a full cord. over that and more than a cord. lots of farwood! PB070009.JPG

That is expensive for the tops, is that with you cutting them on his property :eek:.
His price of $750 for a load of tops would be delivered. No way I'll pay that. Guy who dropped off load of wood told me he gets $650 for a half cord of clean debarked kiln dried plastic wrapped delivered out Boston way.
My neighbor came by and said I know you have allot to cut but there are some dead trees that should come down before next winter. Told him no problem but we will have to block the dirt road when I drop it. I can just see someone driving by just as I drop the trees.:eek:

His price of $750 for a load of tops would be delivered. No way I'll pay that. Guy who dropped off load of wood told me he gets $650 for a half cord of clean debarked kiln dried plastic wrapped delivered out Boston way.
My neighbor came by and said I know you have allot to cut but there are some dead trees that should come down before next winter. Told him no problem but we will have to block the dirt road when I drop it. I can just see someone driving by just as I drop the trees.:eek:
That's a little better. The thing is when I think of all that goes into a cord of firewood you're basically paying nothing for the commodity, I don't sell mine for less than 200 normally, many will sell for 150, this is for a full cord. That's a lot of work for 150-200 and some fuel, wear and tear on equipment, if I didn't have plenty I wouldn't sell any.

I'll just cut it to manageable pieces and toss it in the woods behind the warehouse. I clean up the downed limbs and stuff when ask. Theres better trees on the property that are bound to fall befor I retire :yes:

You and Steve becoming wood snobs! Nothing wrong with some elm!

4148B91E-F172-4393-A128-4B54F9519216.jpeg Today’s scrounge from last nights power outage. This was just the stuff I cut into manageable pieces that the tree service left on “my side” of the road. Got the trunk cut off the rootball. Guy up on the next road came down to see if anybody was getting the wood. Turns out I grew up with him. Offered him half the trunk if he helped me. He looked at the trunk and jumped on the idea, bringing his big backhoe down Monday to pull it out so we can cut it up. I’ll get a pic before and during cutting, trunk is probably 30’ long, 28”-24” the whole way. Had to start on top and let the saw cut down the side to get the full diameter cut with the 7900 and 28” bar, worked like a dream.

That's a little better. The thing is when I think of all that goes into a cord of firewood you're basically paying nothing for the commodity, I don't sell mine for less than 200 normally, many will sell for 150, this is for a full cord. That's a lot of work for 150-200 and some fuel, wear and tear on equipment, if I didn't have plenty I wouldn't sell any.

I cut firewood mostly just for the fun and exercise. At my age (84) it is "use it or lose it". I sell willow at $120 cord and figure I lose at least $50 for every cord I sell considering fuel, equipment, etc without even counting my time. I sell it to get rid of it, got more wood in my lot than I will ever burn.

There is no way on earth is sell wood at prices like that. Basically firewood in the UK sells for £100/m³ for hardwood, soft wood about £75/m³. That's £350/cord. What's the exchange rate currently? Without bothering to check our must be about $500/cord. For all the effort of scrounging, cutting, splitting, stacking, drying, delivering? No chance. I would sell a few sackfuls, over here garden centres etc sell small sacks, enough for an evening for £5-6. I estimate that is £200/m³. If someone in my street wanted a few sackfuls I'd be very pleased to sell a few at that price but beyond that...no.

I cut firewood mostly just for the fun and exercise. At my age (84) it is "use it or lose it". I sell willow at $120 cord and figure I lose at least $50 for every cord I sell considering fuel, equipment, etc without even counting my time. I sell it to get rid of it, got more wood in my lot than I will ever burn.
That's great your still hard at it :clap:, I hope I'm still able to do that in 35yrs, wow that makes you sound old or me young :p.
I don't think I'm loosing anything selling it even if I sold it cheaper since it's a byproduct of other ventures that are making me money, but I see no reason to as long as I have the room to store it.

Back