Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leave the lift gate a couple feet off the ground, then pull logs right onto it/the bed, then when you're all loaded up raise it the rest of the way, should be able to haul 14' logs loaded to the top of the rails.
Small print; you may have to modify the lift gate or build a log arch to get the higher layers on, but it could be done.
Lots of options if you're willing to spend that kind of cash to get some assistants pulling logs to the rd/truck.
I like getting things done in the fall/spring as long as it's not too muddy. It's been a good spring for getting things done here.
And fishing :D. Had some help getting this one in tonight :).
View attachment 740140
Yeah it really would be a great set up, maybe some day... too many other things requiring funds right now.
Nice fish! That’s awesome!:)

Well with the threat of snow and no trailer brakes, no chains, and a 3 mile long 12 percent grade I decided against going to high elevation area. Really kinda wanted to get the rest of that tamarack at my other spot anyway27BB5F0F-E37A-43E1-BA96-04C70FA6A74A.jpegthankfully it was still there, the base sure had some thick bark.D7F49621-0CC0-4E32-8B52-5F5716835A54.jpegWas only enough for little less than half a load, so started looking for more and happed to see this....spruce!:sweet:284C2B94-F7ED-43AB-A7B4-D1338D1CA8CB.jpeg85EEAF70-4A2F-44CB-9466-961E6E0A070D.jpeg996BE495-6F5E-4E9D-982A-54EC8946A584.jpegGood size for the 550 to get some run time too.03E94C62-064C-482A-A835-FE2F7FCA9E0E.jpegSure like working with spruce.1F3077A2-F907-4475-9090-87A312D8F183.jpegTime for lunch, steak, egg, and coffee, ;), lol6849A51D-5575-46EF-A8E4-210F88F6D067.jpegSure like the new tongs, makes packing blocks to trailer much easier.CF021D25-BF9A-4F3A-ABA4-F05E43D7B0C2.jpegStarted snowing pretty good on the way back. Was about 38* nice wood scrounging temp.23717D0C-091C-4764-AD24-192820C9D0BE.jpegPretty nice out when I got back to town.

Getting my gym workout today, cutting and splitting are the best way to loose some pounds. Wearing my newer Husqvarna boots to be safe. They are rubber clunky things but they cover the shin as well. Last season I tossed a 6' piece of oak out of the truck and it bounced back off the pile and split my shin, nothing broken but it hurt like heck and it took forever to heal up.
Can anyone id this bark? Came in the truck load so I never saw the leaves. It is harder on the saw and when it splits it splinters, also it has a red core.
002.JPG

I cut firewood mostly just for the fun and exercise. At my age (84) it is "use it or lose it". I sell willow at $120 cord and figure I lose at least $50 for every cord I sell considering fuel, equipment, etc without even counting my time. I sell it to get rid of it, got more wood in my lot than I will ever burn.
What’s your advice to us youngsters on life, I’m taking the view do as much as you can before you hit 60. If your still kicking do as much as you can before 70 ect ect.

No way I would cut and split wood if I did not enjoy running the saws and getting the exercise. When my wife complains I spend too much time for what I get I tell her to pretend I'm going to the health Spa, but they are paying me instead of me paying them! It just kinda pays for my hobby … no house money in my saws.

Re: Age - My Dad always said "Mother Nature gives you the first 40 years, after that you had better work on it".

My Dad stayed in incredibly good shape till he turned 70 and had a mild stoke, which was partly the result of a neck injury he suffered while in the service. A blood clot lodged free and went to his brain. I try to stay in good shape, but I'm not as strong as he was, and he was only 5'10" and 150 lbs.! My Dad tried to eat healthy (rare for back then) and exercised regularly. It all makes a difference.

Decided to weigh one of the bigger tamarack roundsView attachment 740322no wonder my back hurts, lol.
Think I’ll stick to spruce or lodge pole next time.
I was admiring those tight rings, didn't figure it was that heavy though.
Looks like it was a good thing you didn't go up higher without the trailer brakes.
Nice load, and I'm sure there was plenty of spruce left for another load too.
I installed a window A/C unit today and I have my redneck A/C on which is a floor drying fan in the basement pointing upstairs, it's okay in the kitchen and living room, but a little warmer than I like in the rest of the house :baba:.

What’s your advice to us youngsters on life, I’m taking the view do as much as you can before you hit 60. If your still kicking do as much as you can before 70 ect ect.

I'm afreaid I can't help. The life I lived until I was 70 should have killed me before that. I did cut way back on alcohol in late 90s an dstarted eating more healthy stuff then also.

20190607_193855.jpg Found another truck that's peaked my interest. Pretty clean for a PA truck. 183k, stock 7.3 save for a gtp38r which after some research is basicly the same as stock save for a ball bearing center section. Wasn't realy looking for a diesel but you cant do much better then a clean unmolested 7.3 350.

View attachment 740350 Found another truck that's peaked my interest. Pretty clean for a PA truck. 183k, stock 7.3 save for a gtp38r which after some research is basicly the same as stock save for a ball bearing center section. Wasn't realy looking for a diesel but you cant do much better then a clean unmolested 7.3 350.
I had a 99, biggest issue was a broken leaf spring, guess you're not supposed to pull a 60' house trailer thru the sand with them :laugh:. I really liked mine except the 14qt oil changes :surprised3:, but just like most things in life you can pay up front or in the end. 183k isn't much for a 7.3, actually it isn't much in general for an older truck. What was it previously used for, towing a camper?, when I'm ready for something different I'll be looking for a garage stored truck that pulled a camper in the summer.

View attachment 740350 Found another truck that's peaked my interest. Pretty clean for a PA truck. 183k, stock 7.3 save for a gtp38r which after some research is basicly the same as stock save for a ball bearing center section. Wasn't realy looking for a diesel but you cant do much better then a clean unmolested 7.3 350.
Nice looking truck! Was once a Ford truck person only and owned a few in that body style. Only suggestions is check front end and steering box, if he will let you raise it up. My 04 F-350 6.0 diesel ruined my Ford run, after 12+ trips to dealer for engine problems.

For anyone who cares: My F-150 eco boost (2.7) is running on premium (93) and has been giving me good mileage with careful driving. Combined Hwy/Cty on the last 2 tanks was 21 MPG on the meter (20 MPG calculated). With the cruse control at 70 on the Interstates I get about 23 MPG on the meter, and about 18/19 locally. Real MPG is about 1 less.

I'm sure the 10 speed tranny helps. It is very smooth.

Attachments

• IMG_20190422_115725187.jpg
    IMG_20190422_115725187.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 7
Had an 03 crew 5.4 and gave it to my son, motor was not a problem (luckily), front end and steering was a costly repair. That Duramax gets 16.8mpg in tow mode, 19.8mpg on level 3 on Edge tuner at 70mph. Slow down to 60 and will get over 20mpg on display on stock setting. Eco setting on my Edge seems to do nothing. I did address pump rub issue in transfer case, replaced transmission lines with hydraulic lines after 2 sets of factory lines under warranty and relocated fuel filter to an easy change location.

Back