Scrounging gone wrong - Not mine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had someone bring in some pieces of log, around 10-12" diameter. They were trying to make some sort of coasters for a welding. They tried to cut them up with some sort of chainsaw, but it looked like a short bus riding beaver had a go at it. After that didn't work out, they tried using a circular saw with not much better results.

I'm with you on cottonwood. May be a different species here but the one I did would NOT split even after curing for 2 years. Even cutting 16" rounds into 8" all the splitter would do was mash it's way through. I swore never to touch another cottonwood. Out here in Eastern Washington anything with leaves is looked upon as green gold...not cottonwood for me.

So I now hve to eat my words. I don't know if I'll like it but last year I helped out a new family in the county who bought a place with old, bad looking cottonwoods. I took about a cord from the rounds littering the ground (probably 10 cord still there) and this cottonwood split fairly well with a hydraulic splitter. I'll find out in the fall how it will burn. If it burns OK I'll go back again next year to see if any is still there.

The oak I just scored had one cut, not as bad as that...the guy took one cut and took the already loose rounds. The odd part was his saw was throwing shavings two to three inches long, it wasn't as if the chain was dull. The land owner told me he hacked on the one piece (cut) for a good ten minutes before packing up...for good. That really torqued off the landowner as he told her he would cut it up in an afternoon and then never came back.

She called me, I was number two on the list and the only other to respond to the add...took the truck initially and in 15 minutes had enough for a truckload. I stopped by as I was leaving and she said "did you actually get anything?" I was puzzled by that question and said I had a truckload...she said that was odd it went that quick, then told me about the previous guy...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

The oak I just scored had one cut, not as bad as that...the guy took one cut and took the already loose rounds. The odd part was his saw was throwing shavings two to three inches long, it wasn't as if the chain was dull. The land owner told me he hacked on the one piece (cut) for a good ten minutes before packing up...for good. That really torqued off the landowner as he told her he would cut it up in an afternoon and then never came back.

She called me, I was number two on the list and the only other to respond to the add...took the truck initially and in 15 minutes had enough for a truckload. I stopped by as I was leaving and she said "did you actually get anything?" I was puzzled by that question and said I had a truckload...she said that was odd it went that quick, then told me about the previous guy...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I have scrounged IIRC 3 scores of Black Locust where someone had started and given up. I also finished cutting up an entire farmstead of it for a buddy who was going to harvest it. When I talked to his father (owner of the place) he said his son would have to say. I asked him if the saw I saw there was his son's. Yep. He was going to cut up about 20 locusts up 30" with a Wal Mart Wild Thing. I cut it all up for half. In this country you just don't get real hardwood.

Latest posts

Back