what's ailing this sugar ma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megunticook

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A sugar maple I planted 15 years ago as a sapling has been growing fairly vigorously and well, although about 8 years ago an October ice storm broke one of two main stems so I had to cut the damaged stem out. From all appearances the tree seemed to recover (I had a professional arborist take a look and he thought the tree would likely recover).

This spring everything looked good, it leafed out well, been lots of rain, but one day last week I noticed all the leaves on the leader stem have wilted. This is probably 20% or so of the total foliage.

What might have caused this wilting, and what should I do about it?

One note--I applied some Tree-tone fertilizer back in early April, following the directions on the bag to make 3" diameter holes about 12" deep around the drip ring and put the fertilizer in the holes. I wondered if I might be damaging the roots by digging like that (I used a small posthole digger), but figured Espoma must know what they're talking about. Is it possible I caused some damage? I did the same thing to a sister tree about 30 feet away, that tree seems fine.

Could this be some sort of fungus? Should I remove the affected stem? Hate to do that since it's the leader.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Here's some pictures:

tree-with-wilt.jpg

old-wound.jpg

wilted-leaves.jpg

sapling.jpg

Central leader dieback on Sugars is generally an issue in the root zone. That was a terribly large wound but the reaction wood looks great. If you were out at the drip line with your holes you definitely caused some root damage but not long term. Closer than the drip and 3” wide by 12” deep and your asking for trouble. Was there a soil deficiency that you are fertilizing for?

That crack that is running down the trunk of the tree, does it start where there is a branch union? If so, you can be looking at some structural issues down the road between that and the cavity from the broken leader.

Also, what does the trunk look like where it meets the soil? Is there a taper or does it go in the ground like a pole?

Lots of questions, I know. It’s all a process of elimination after all.

A sugar maple I planted 15 years ago as a sapling has been growing fairly vigorously and well, although about 8 years ago an October ice storm broke one of two main stems so I had to cut the damaged stem out. From all appearances the tree seemed to recover (I had a professional arborist take a look and he thought the tree would likely recover).

This spring everything looked good, it leafed out well, been lots of rain, but one day last week I noticed all the leaves on the leader stem have wilted. This is probably 20% or so of the total foliage.

What might have caused this wilting, and what should I do about it?

One note--I applied some Tree-tone fertilizer back in early April, following the directions on the bag to make 3" diameter holes about 12" deep around the drip ring and put the fertilizer in the holes. I wondered if I might be damaging the roots by digging like that (I used a small posthole digger), but figured Espoma must know what they're talking about. Is it possible I caused some damage? I did the same thing to a sister tree about 30 feet away, that tree seems fine.

Could this be some sort of fungus? Should I remove the affected stem? Hate to do that since it's the leader.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Here's some pictures:

old-wound.jpg

This is a fatal flaw, in my opinion, and could be a large part of the dieback you are seeing. Also the long crack in another photo looks really bad.

I don't see much future in this sugar maple.

Central leader dieback on Sugars is generally an issue in the root zone. That was a terribly large wound but the reaction wood looks great. If you were out at the drip line with your holes you definitely caused some root damage but not long term. Closer than the drip and 3” wide by 12” deep and your asking for trouble. Was there a soil deficiency that you are fertilizing for?

No, just wanted to help the tree. A local established arborist I know swears by TreeTone. Think it was a mistake? I followed the instructions on the bag but I wonder if I did more damage than help.

That crack that is running down the trunk of the tree, does it start where there is a branch union? If so, you can be looking at some structural issues down the road between that and the cavity from the broken leader.
Yeah, it ends just below where the first branch is.

Also, what does the trunk look like where it meets the soil? Is there a taper or does it go in the ground like a pole?

Here's an image:

base.jpg

What think you?

This is a fatal flaw, in my opinion, and could be a large part of the dieback you are seeing. Also the long crack in another photo looks really bad.

I don't see much future in this sugar maple.

So you don't think it has anything to do with my digging/fertilizing earlier this spring? I guess that makes me feel better--sort of....

What else might be causing the wilt?

This tree has really grown well over the years and continues to leaf out more vigorously than a sister tree we planted at the same time. This is the first sign of trouble so far--other than the ice storm accident.

But I can see where the tree might be vulnerable.

What do you recommend?

No, just wanted to help the tree. A local established arborist I know swears by TreeTone. Think it was a mistake? I followed the instructions on the bag but I wonder if I did more damage than help.

Yeah, it ends just below where the first branch is.

Here's an image:

base.jpg

What think you?

Looks like there is some flare, which is good. No obvious girdling roots.

You said your having a ton of rain. Could be a foliage fungal issue.

Like Del said though, between that long crack and that tear out it’s a rough road ahead for that tree.

Stay away from the fert going forward unless a soil sample shows a deficiency.

What should I do at this point to help the tree?

Is there a way to check for fungus?

Will it recover later this year or next year?

Hate to think I damaged it...

Do you guys think it's a lost cause anyway, so may as well just plant another?

What should I do at this point to help the tree?

Is there a way to check for fungus?

Will it recover later this year or next year?

Hate to think I damaged it...

Do you guys think it's a lost cause anyway, so may as well just plant another?

I would leave it be and plant a replacement near by.
As far as foliar fungal diseases like anthracnose, if that is it the tree will produce more leaves this summer.
If it is a root issue or decay issue from that broken leader the tree will continue to decline.
If you want to invest in that particular tree the only thing I could recommend at this time would be to have the root flare excavated with an air spade to check for root issues.

This morning I see another branch where the leaves are wilting (see around the center of the canopy, slightly to the right:
more-wilt.jpg

wilted-leaves-3jpg.jpg

At this point should I plan to plant a sapling in October after the leaves are down? I'm in coastal Maine, first hard frost around here is typically around Halloween.

Wish I could do something to help this tree, but it sounds like even without this leaf wilting, the tree would not likely make it long-term anyway.

It just was growing so vigorously until now. Hate to think I dealt it a blow instead of helping it with that fertilizer. Wish I hadn't done that...

I planted this and another maple the same day 15 years ago (wilted tree on right). The one with issues always seemed more vigorous, even after the storm damage:
sister-maples.jpg

Seems like too much of a coincidence to have this wilting happen for the first time a couple months after I applied the fertilizer around the drip ring...kicking myself for that.

Did more research and I suspect this may be verticillium wilt. The fact that this appeared roughly 8 weeks after I applied the fertilizer suggests that I damaged the roots and provided an entry path for the fungus in the soil. From the reading I've done, the prognosis is dire.

I removed a couple of smaller wilted branches to look at the cross-section. I don't see any signs of fungus, but from what I read that doesn't mean it's not there. Opinions?

sugar-maple-wilted-branch-cross2.jpg

sugar-maple-wilted-branch-cross.jpg

branch-trunk.jpg

What do you think--verticillium wilt or something else?

I will plant a new maple in the fall (what do you folks thing about fall planting versus spring?). And I know this tree has major issues and may not reach full maturity anyway, but I'd love to nurse it back to health if possible, it's been growing vigorously and (until this year) has always looked terrific.

Back