pico chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get 0.050 picco in
PM and PS with no safety bumpers. Either one cuts well.

What gauge is your bar? It will be stamped on it.

I'm not sure if there is 0.043 gauge non-safety chain?
Bailey's had Carlton/Woodland Pro 3/8 .043 non safety, non bumper chains. I picked up a couple for my polesaw.

I just converted 2 MS170 series saws to 3/8" .050" pico (low profile) and am working on a third. Cuts much better, chain lasts longer, bar lasts longer, etc.

IMHO the .043 chain should NEVER have been put on a standard high rev chainsaw. It should be left on the slow pole saws that it was originally designed for.

I am talking about the cutters. On Stihl, the cutters are much thinner and lighter and bend easily.

Same with Oregon.
No not the same with oregon. Oregon 90 class chain is closest to bend by looking at which you mentioned prior. Carlton N1c and N4c sure seem to have the same cutters, hopefully I remember the codes correctly. I think there is even chisel 0.043 chain on ebay that likewise has the same cutters as the 0.050 of the same brand.

But the cutters on the Stihl .043 is very thin as well.

I never measured to see who is the thinnest.

It is good to know that the \Carlton has the same cutters though.

I ended up buying the .050 bar and chain Oregon from Walmart for 27$. That killed any savings I had buying the 170 in the first place.
But it cuts good and will be a good pick up truck saw.

I ended up buying the .050 bar and chain Oregon from Walmart for 27$. That killed any savings I had buying the 170 in the first place.
But it cuts good and will be a good pick up truck saw.
The Stihl dealership in Glasgow, KY said they would swap out the new bar and chain with the .050 if I wanted! So I’m thinkin about gettin another one before the end of June, 2019, while the $20 sale is still on!

The Stihl dealership in Glasgow, KY said they would swap out the new bar and chain with the .050 if I wanted! So I’m thinkin about gettin another one before the end of June, 2019, while the $20 sale is still on!
Yeah, a lot of dealers will do that.

The price is about the same, and it beats having a pissed off customer

Back