Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very smart! Very very very smart! Are you taking orders?!
Thanks. Trust me, you don't want any early, learner, prototype pieces from me. There's no telling if they will last. But if I ever get to the stage of being confident in my skills and the designs I'll let you know. It'll be a blast to think some native NZ timber could end up on the other side of the world.

Here's one.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/grd/d/tyro-awesome-skid-steer-wood-splitter/6878819056.html
This one is a great price for the unit if it's still available, but it's a standard not a skid style.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/grd/d/tyro-awesome-skid-steer-wood-splitter/6878819056.html

One tip, not everyone knows splitter is spelled with two "L's" so search spliter as well as splitter. I find quite a few this way and you usually have more time to respond before someone else who doesn't know how to spell spitter comes along looking for one lol.
And, in the last sentence you have "spitter" ?

Thanks. Trust me, you don't want any early, learner, prototype pieces from me. There's no telling if they will last. But if I ever get to the stage of being confident in my skills and the designs I'll let you know. It'll be a blast to think some native NZ timber could end up on the other side of the world.

Ha ha! Well I'd be very proud indeed if i made something that looked so smart in les than about 10 attempts! I feel like my 365 needs a bespoke carry coffin with removable inserts for tools and chains :D

This is my new building I'm putting on the farm. Gonna be the bunk house. It's 12'X40'. I'm putting electric baseboard heat in, but, have been thinking of putting a small stove in. Years ago I had a nice little Timberline. Something I could put a pot of stew on in the cast iron dutch oven. Don't want something that is going to run every one out. What do you think about a stove? It's getting delivered Friday.
WAvF5fa.jpg

kpaqFKh.jpg

A small Jotul F602 would be classy inside that building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my new building I'm putting on the farm. Gonna be the bunk house. It's 12'X40'. I'm putting electric baseboard heat in, but, have been thinking of putting a small stove in. Years ago I had a nice little Timberline. Something I could put a pot of stew on in the cast iron dutch oven. Don't want something that is going to run every one out. What do you think about a stove? It's getting delivered Friday.
WAvF5fa.jpg

kpaqFKh.jpg
Drolet atlas. Super nice but spendy. Drolet hunter if it just a temporary use thing.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Drolet atlas. Super nice but spendy. Drolet hunter if it just a temporary use thing.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Jeff, I saw the Drolet hunter. That’s in the right price range, just hunting camp. Will only get used a few times a year. If I got the atlas I wouldn’t have any money left for insulation.

an ultimate Widow Maker -

my last post... within the realm of things to be or not to be... came very close to being my last post this morning! very close as in within 12 hours out of most likely 100 years! maybe more. you see... we had an ultimate Widow Maker event happen at our place... and nearly 18 hrs later or so... I am still very much in shock over it! :eek: let me say that again: :eek:

so I have this really large pine tree in my yard here in town. really big! someone said largest in Houston he has ever seen! :surprised3: it has been mine for over 45 years. and it was huge then when I got it. and so how old is it? dunno... 75, 80, maybe over 100 years old. big, tall... majestic and steady as a rock! steady as a palisade... rock solid. majestic and beautiful.

yesterday I spend couple hours working in area directly in, around and under this large pine tree. nbd, done it a million times, or close I am sure. this or that. I am working on a project redo so since it was so brutally hot here yesterday... I laid it out on lawn and went back to it later in cooler evening. oblivious to any danger... for surely there was none!

this morning... on computer and :drinkingcoffee:... I hear 3 cracks and crashes. one c r ac k ! quite loud. the QB hollars... "omg, what was that!??" I look outside thru window see nothing. but she is putting shoes on and heading out. returns moments later and says, 'You better come here!" [oh sh*t! I think to myself...]

oh s....t! is right!!! right where I was working yesterday (Sunday morning) and Sunday evening... along path we walk our pups... and also walk to compost bins... a huge Widow Maker limb had cracked off the pine tree, midway up - taking 3 other limbs with it and come crashing down. hundreds and hundreds of pounds of wood that was once for many years high in the treetops... now on the ground. it hit and landed right where i was working just yesterday, as late as last night! those who have seen it all agree... a tree in itself... off the side of the tree. wood, but to me might as well have been stone! 12"-14" in diam big end and about 30' long +/-... right were I was working... and had planned to work this morning, but had not got out there just yet. had left part of project there, but ez to finish and I had planned to. today. and soon...

there is still a widow maker hanging in the tree. an arborist I know and have used will cut and clean it all up for me... he is a 2nd generation climber, cutter tree guy... and we will do some cleaning up... upstairs... and reshaping and removing some weight as there is one more really huge limb in the tree. but its at a 45-degree angle. the one that fell this morning more so horizontal. I walk thru my neighborhood all the time seeing horizontal limbs of pines and oaks. always saying wow, so much weight, how can the tree hold on to it? well, this morning... mine did not!

for me and my family, this was a close call! within hours... a very close call. no one could have survived it. the crack, the look up if time, the shock... could not move. (try it!) its impossible to react that fast... and wham. prob DAS. dead at scene. crush all my chest bones, organs... and bleed to death, if not knocked out immediately. latter would be a blessing! we see vids of trees acting, reacting in unexpected ways! funny almost, and scary, too. widow makers! this was not funny and definitely scary! the kind of scare that scares the well, you know... right out of you. we cannot think of it any other way but... a widow maker!

it was kinda quiet around our place today. lots of prayers of thanks! felt a closeness to my Guardian Angel, too. we both did!

I know you guys are all pros! but, it don't hurt to say it again: be careful!

I was lucky! we were lucky! we were blessed to have it be a non-event other than a downed limb.

I am still in shock over it all!! and yes! I do believe in miracles. have seem many. imo, this is another one...

our almost ultimate widow maker
PB190024.JPG PB190025.JPG PB190026.JPG PB190031.JPG PB190034.JPG PB190035.JPG

WAvF5fa.jpg

kpaqFKh.jpg
Century s244. Got both of mine at Menards for $450.

Sure glad you were not working under there. I’m 4th generation Licenesed Arborist. In MD it’s called, “Licenesed Tree Expert”. I would disagree with you when you say every one here are pros, very few are. There are plenty of guys that can build a saw better than me, are younger, stronger, and faster than me, and in time would make excellent tree guys. In MD, to take the license test, you have to have a 4 year degree or eight years in the trade. Your reaction to the “Crack” would be look up. A Pro would run. The limb can only hurt you if it hits you. So, even if you didn’t have a planned escape path, being a healthy tree, running in any direction straight out from under the tree, would statistically save you. The tree being 360 degrees, the limb can only be a few degrees wide it’s full length. If by chance you ran in the wrong dirrection, at least your getting into smaller wood and brush. Versus taking the butt in the teeth, looking up.

I’m glad you said no one could react fast enough. That’s the one point I can’t get new ground guys to understand. People say work safe, but 99 percent of people don’t know what tree work safe is. I walk into a back yard looking up. The homeowner is walking next to me looking down. They say, “ sorry, watch where your walking, I didn’t scoop the poop.” They have me there because they have a big dead tree dropping limbs, and they are more concerned about tracking dog poop on the carpet. They just don’t understand how fast death happens. An old lady was killed a couple weeks ago after a big storm, in the DC area. Her neighbors said she always came out right after the storm was over and picked up the fallen limbs and twigs. This time a big hanger came loose just as she walked under.

I also don’t give advice on taking down trees. The first thing I do is put a tag line 2/3 of the way up the tree. I’ve seen too many trees that guys tried to wedge over that went the wrong way, and they call it an unavoidable accident? If I don’t know someone’s personal skill level, their equipment, and it’s condition, the only advice that should be givin is get a pro. Some times the difference between success and failure is a good notch and a fast back cut. I’m using a 100CC saw with razor sharp teeth, the other guy seeking advice has a 40CC half dull box store saw, that he thinks is sharp.

Every couple years I make a post along these lines. I picked yours because I like your posts, and would miss you if you got crushed. I’d like you to do one thing. Tell every one, if you had of been under that tree when the first “Crack” went off, and looked up instead of running, like most normal people would do, how many steps could you have made before getting hit.

Latest posts

Back