Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a little more work done on the woodshed yesterday; added a gutter along the back, added the skirt board, and added a board beside the back posts to stack wood between the posts. I plan on having three rows between the post, then filling between those rows with more wood going the opposite direction. This way there will be no pressure on any of the outside walls as the only place wood will be touching is the posts. I'll put wood for the harshest temps in the three rows(about a cord depending on how high I stack them), mainly black locust and white oak.
I'm thinking of making a frame with 2x2 and covering it with sheet metal roofing/siding or HD vinyl sign material to cover the back opening of the bay. I could make it removable and then have a place to store it right under the rafters that they could slide in and out of. I think that would be nice in the simmer when loading it on a hot day so you could open it right up and you could also load it from the back as we did yesterday.
What do you guys think, ideas?
We split this yesterday, it's about 5' high by 5.5' wide and I have a bunch of smaller rounds to put on top which will bring it to over 6' tall.
View attachment 739657 View attachment 739658
very nice, Brett.

You deliver to 61820?

Saw one yesterday in holland with no rust, had a cali front plate :sweet:.
Only problem is it was lifted at least 6" :surprised3:.
Stock 3/4 ton is high enough for me to lift things into. Like those 7.3, had an 04 6.0 and now have had an LBZ for 13 years and still looks ok. Wish I could purchase it in new condition again, when it's time for a new truck. Neighbor owns several 7.3's, 07 LBZ , 13 LML, 18 LP5 and his favorites are LBZ and 7.3.

Stock 3/4 ton is high enough for me to lift things into. Like those 7.3, had an 04 6.0 and now have had an LBZ for 13 years and still looks ok. Wish I could purchase it in new condition again, when it's time for a new truck. Neighbor owns several 7.3's, 07 LBZ , 13 LML, 18 LP5 and his favorites are LBZ and 7.3.
I like my 99 suburban for now, no rust, Oregon fresh 4 yrs ago and rarely sees the salty roads. Doing a bunch of repairs on it in the next couple weeks, even though its a lot it won't add up to the cost of 1 new truck payment :envy::sucks:.

I got a little more work done on the woodshed yesterday; added a gutter along the back, added the skirt board, and added a board beside the back posts to stack wood between the posts. I plan on having three rows between the post, then filling between those rows with more wood going the opposite direction. This way there will be no pressure on any of the outside walls as the only place wood will be touching is the posts. I'll put wood for the harshest temps in the three rows(about a cord depending on how high I stack them), mainly black locust and white oak.
I'm thinking of making a frame with 2x2 and covering it with sheet metal roofing/siding or HD vinyl sign material to cover the back opening of the bay. I could make it removable and then have a place to store it right under the rafters that they could slide in and out of. I think that would be nice in the simmer when loading it on a hot day so you could open it right up and you could also load it from the back as we did yesterday.
What do you guys think, ideas?
We split this yesterday, it's about 5' high by 5.5' wide and I have a bunch of smaller rounds to put on top which will bring it to over 6' tall.
View attachment 739657 View attachment 739658

pretty soon, u will be adding a fireplace and it will be a cabin! lol looks good seeing it function wish I had one...:D

cleaned up around one of my outdoor woodpiles today... leaves, etc and added to and some restacked. getting ready to put some mo farwood in there... no splitting required.

and worked on my new... cedar kindling box for the farm.

I have a couple piles like this from recent scrounges. all headed to woodpile. new space cleaned will get the fresh split oak. the smaller stuff will be cut to length... I burn a lot of wood. all year long. well, for one down here in this hot climate. lol... 98f forecast Sunday, and I will have a campfire going... :D

2 piles; a lot of work for an old man! :cool:

:popcorn2:

all oak!
PB070012.JPG

PA120030.JPG

I usually run a double bit when I split my kindling .
Here's a good vid on the explanation .

I like your vid and explanation... that is why I use clearheart cedar fence slat sections. 8-10" long... 'poings' off as my camp axe goes thru it.

one of my cedar kindling boxes

PA230006.JPG PA230008.JPG

Super axe OZ made 19 ton vertical blade into waist height table make job easy
We don't see that type of splitter over here. Vertical units all split at ground level, instead of on a table.

I have seen them in other posts from guys over your way, and they look very attractive.

Philbert

my main wood in my 'woodpile' is oak. but I keep some pine stacked also. my pine stack is getting bit low... so was 'sent' a big pine limb the other day! but most going to dump, however... in tradition... I am keeping some of it for my pine stack. any time I have a lot of pine come out of any of my pine trees, I keep some of it. not much, but some of it. will be cutting this to about 15" or so...

some top side pine tree work being done tomorrow, may keep a bit of that, too...
PB210010.JPG

pine appeals to the pioneer in me... and the many times hunting in Oregon mountains with my Dad back in the mid 50's...

Latest posts

Back