Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure glad you were not working under there. I’m 4th generation Licenesed Arborist. In MD it’s called, “Licenesed Tree Expert”. I would disagree with you when you say every one here are pros, very few are. There are plenty of guys that can build a saw better than me, are younger, stronger, and faster than me, and in time would make excellent tree guys. In MD, to take the license test, you have to have a 4 year degree or eight years in the trade. Your reaction to the “Crack” would be look up. A Pro would run. The limb can only hurt you if it hits you. So, even if you didn’t have a planned escape path, being a healthy tree, running in any direction straight out from under the tree, would statistically save you. The tree being 360 degrees, the limb can only be a few degrees wide it’s full length. If by chance you ran in the wrong dirrection, at least your getting into smaller wood and brush. Versus taking the butt in the teeth, looking up.

I’m glad you said no one could react fast enough. That’s the one point I can’t get new ground guys to understand. People say work safe, but 99 percent of people don’t know what tree work safe is. I walk into a back yard looking up. The homeowner is walking next to me looking down. They say, “ sorry, watch where your walking, I didn’t scoop the poop.” They have me there because they have a big dead tree dropping limbs, and they are more concerned about tracking dog poop on the carpet. They just don’t understand how fast death happens. An old lady was killed a couple weeks ago after a big storm, in the DC area. Her neighbors said she always came out right after the storm was over and picked up the fallen limbs and twigs. This time a big hanger came loose just as she walked under.

I also don’t give advice on taking down trees. The first thing I do is put a tag line 2/3 of the way up the tree. I’ve seen too many trees that guys tried to wedge over that went the wrong way, and they call it an unavoidable accident? If I don’t know someone’s personal skill level, their equipment, and it’s condition, the only advice that should be givin is get a pro. Some times the difference between success and failure is a good notch and a fast back cut. I’m using a 100CC saw with razor sharp teeth, the other guy seeking advice has a 40CC half dull box store saw, that he thinks is sharp.

Every couple years I make a post along these lines. I picked yours because I like your posts, and would miss you if you got crushed. I’d like you to do one thing. Tell every one, if you had of been under that tree when the first “Crack” went off, and looked up instead of running, like most normal people would do, how many steps could you have made before getting hit.
Very well said Joe.

I agree with Joe, and it is not just doing tree work. As soon as I hear a crack, I run first and look later. And, if I'm taking down any tree near a road, wires or structure, I tie it, you can not predict a wind gust, and they can really move a tree. In the woods, when it is not critical, I'll use wedges for felling.

My cousin's best friend is paralyzed for life. Was felling an Elm tree and a large branch from the tree next to it came down and hit him. It happens that fast. This was a guy who grew up on the farm and had done this a million times.

I was hunting in the Adirondacks a decade or two ago (Thirteenth Lake Area), it was a calm day, I did not hear it break … a large Red Oak limb hit the ground 30' away from me … the ground shook, and I never heard it coming. That was very scary! I was not on any trail, just out in the woods, and likely no one would have found me for quite a while.

I have also left tree stands when it gets too windy. Does not matter if it is the tree you are in, or one near it that goes down, you are a sitting duck up there!

Be safe every one, and learn how to react. Also, always get back from the base of the tree you are felling as soon as you see it starting to go. I generally know by watching the back cut, and I ALWAYS wear a helmet when felling.

Good advice. I look at it as a risk vs reward assessment. It this tree takes out the power lines, how much did my free wood cost? I am a DIY jack-off-of-all-trades guy for sure but always look at what can go wrong and know when to call in the pro's and put the aces in their places I am a true scrounger and not a pro. Plenty of free wood laying on the ground. Lol.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

20190611_122832.jpg Neighbors house this afternoon. This tree lost a stem this size in the wind storm that busted up my trees. That one went into there neighbors yard. This one went on the corner of the house. The one that's still standing is leaning hard over the house.

View attachment 740902 Neighbors house this afternoon. This tree lost a stem this size in the wind storm that busted up my trees. That one went into there neighbors yard. This one went on the corner of the house. The one that's still standing is leaning hard over the house.
That sux! Got rid of all the real close trees here. Still a few questionably close but all the maples had to go. They were all too risky for me had a local pro stop by on his way home. Bucket for him and lined the biggest branches down. Well worth the money.

Just about done with the porch roof. A little caulk and dab some paint on the new wood. Still have another entry for the cellar to do...

Nice work.
Good you were able to get it done before the heat set in :baba:.
I'm doing a good sized roof this summer, I hope I can catch it right and not be up there in the 80-90 degree weather, but I will say that's better for doing roofs than 60-70 degrees with rain:crazy2::sucks:.

View attachment 740902 Neighbors house this afternoon. This tree lost a stem this size in the wind storm that busted up my trees. That one went into there neighbors yard. This one went on the corner of the house. The one that's still standing is leaning hard over the house.
Wow, you guys have had a lot of trees go down this year.

Nice work.
Good you were able to get it done before the heat set in :baba:.
I'm doing a good sized roof this summer, I hope I can catch it right and not be up there in the 80-90 degree weather, but I will say that's better for doing roofs than 60-70 degrees with rain:crazy2::sucks:.
We had a few glimpses of 90° that was enough summer! Glad for the cool down this week!

We had a few glimpses of 90° that was enough summer! Glad for the cool down this week!
We had a couple days into the 80's, one was over a month ago, took everyone by surprise.
It was great here yesterday, I even put on a hoodie to go out fishing last night.
This morning was nice too in the low 50's, but it warmed up pretty quick and I had to turn the ac on, it's back down to 72 now so I'll be able to turn the ac off in a few. I don't enjoy the heat, what's funny is it seems I usually have my biggest days on the hottest days of the yr :baba:. Oh well, gotta take them as they come.

Saw this today and thought of my favorite uncle. How’s Thursday work for you?View attachment 740909
Atleast they got the WS6 right. Best looking F body since the originals. Hasn't been a good looking camaro in decades. Dont think the new mustang's are that good looking either. Sad that Pontiac wasn't around for the 5th gen cars I bet they would have gotten the look right.

So, is that Trans Am running and road ready yet, or are we still all just talk???

Took my Grandson to Scouts tonight, and on the way home I taught him how to row through the gears (from the passenger seat) as I drove!

They gotta learn sometime!
Mike, that brought back old memories of high school! My buddy had a 65 Belvedere, 361 Commando, 4 speed, and I had a 65 Dart GT 273 Commando, 4 speed. We learned how to shift from the passenger seat so the driver could hold onto his beer, no cup holders back then.

Atleast they got the WS6 right. Best looking F body since the originals. Hasn't been a good looking camaro in decades. Dont think the new mustang's are that good looking either. Sad that Pontiac wasn't around for the 5th gen cars I bet they would have gotten the look right.

The new Mustang GT's are rally nice from a performance/handling standpoint, but they have lost some of that Retro look my 2006 GT has, and luckily mine is far from stock.

Eagle Crank, Rods and Pistons (now 4.9 Ltr), Whipple Intercooled SC, Magnaflow Cats, JBA Mufflers

Steeda: Suspension, Adj Panhard Bar, 18X9.5 Wheels (w/Nitto Rubber), Clutch and Drilled/Slotted Front Rotors

Griggs Racing: Adj Lower Control Arms, Torque Arm and Pumpkin Cover

MGW Shifter

Basically, I'm all set!!! About the only things the new Mustangs have on me is improved ride quality (my ride is a little stiff, but she handles great) and aerodynamics (Highway speeds can reduce the mileage).

The new Mustang GT's are rally nice from a performance/handling standpoint, but they have lost some of that Retro look my 2006 GT has, and luckily mine is far from stock.

Eagle Crank, Rods and Pistons (now 4.9 Ltr), Whipple Intercooled SC, Magnaflow Cats, JBA Mufflers

Steeda: Suspension, Adj Panhard Bar, 18X9.5 Wheels (w/Nitto Rubber), Clutch and Drilled/Slotted Front Rotors

Griggs Racing: Adj Lower Control Arms, Torque Arm and Pumpkin Cover

MGW Shifter

Basically, I'm all set!!! About the only things the new Mustangs have on me is improved ride quality (my ride is a little stiff, but she handles great) and aerodynamics (Above speed limit can reduce the mileage).
Fixed for accuracy Mike.:laugh:

Back