MS290 bogging in the cut - where to start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevensandeights

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a used Stihl MS290 at an auction a few years ago. Got it for $170 and it started easily within three pulls. Plan was for it to be a back up saw to my Dolmar 5100S and so my teenage sons could help with the firewood cutting.

Has a 16" bar with brand new yellow dot RSC 0.325 chain. Always use ethanol free gas mixed 50:1. I haven't put more than 4 tanks of gas through this saw since I've owned it.

We were cutting 16" hard maple today and it was bogging really bad once the bar was fully buried. Air filter was cleaned off with compressed air prior to using today.

Any thoughts on where to start? I'm mechanically inclined but have never worked on chainsaws before.

I searched some old rebuild threads but many have no pics due to the Photobucket shut down.

Your blowing off the aircleaner from the inside out right? Is the chain sharp?

I put my sons to work doing firewood too. When my oldest son started his first real job at McDonald’s he came home the very first day and told me flipping burgers is easier than working with me. Lol I told him your either going to have a strong back or strong mind so stay in school. Now he has two degrees in mechanical engineering. He still likes cutting trees.

I'll check the fuel lines.

I blew the filter from inside out when I first bought it but I fully admit to just quickly blowing off the outside before cutting this morning.

Brand new RSC non-safety chain. Just put it on this morning.

Fully aware that the 290 isn't in the same league as the 5100. Something definitely wrong though as this saw has cut better for me in the past.

I had a similar situation, the carb didn't respond to tuning or cleaning. Ended up rebuilding the saw, possible was a crank seal as one of the main bearings was rough.

You definitely need to invest in a pop up piston if you go with AM 390 parts, otherwise it'll just be a mediocre gas hog. Still dialing mine in, but that's my opinion so far even with a port job

Definitely had a split fuel line. Replaced and put a new spark plug in. Saw fired right up and throttle seemed to respond well. It's raining out though so I can't really test it until later.

Definitely had a split fuel line. Replaced and put a new spark plug in. Saw fired right up and throttle seemed to respond well. It's raining out though so I can't really test it until later.

Did your 290 idle good?

Reason i ask is I have a MS290 that bogs in the cut. Symptoms seem same as yours. It's a low hour saw but been mostly just stored, but cut good this last fall. I tried the slight adjustment of the carb H &L jet with the limiters but no go. I'll check my fuel line. All filters are clean. It sounds good when piss reving but will just bog in a full bar cut. Mine idles and starts good. I have to hold back on the cutting load on the bar to get through a cut unless the cut is less than about 8 inchs diameter. It has a 20 inch bar and cut really good this last fall, before it was stored. I use non-ethanol gas and stihl oil mix..

Carb on this MS290 looks like it's not user friendly to remove for a change out or a re-build???

The red limiter caps pull out to reveal the "inner screw"....

Thanks for the limiter info.
I'm the second owner of the saw. Saw looks really clean inside and out but has been stored more than used.
Maybe someone already removed the limiter caps, I did not see any red plastic limiters. I could turn the H and L screws about maybe 3/4 turn before I hit the stops. I could see the plastic limiters or something on the screws.

I'm also keep a heads up about needing to make an major adjustment a carb on one of my chainsaws saws that was know to be previously running really good 3 months before that I'm not just trying to compensate for other issues and lean out the engine. I'll check the fuel lines. I seen in the IPL that this saw used 4 different carb replacements and kinda pricy and I could not see the ID numbers on the existing carb with it in place..

Here is the manual, intead of the tool, you can just tap in a coarse thread screw, and yank them out.
Just don't damage the screw underneath.

Attachments

• ms290.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Just get one of the $35 ones from the dealer if you need a new carb, just take along the old one.

1127 120 0604 CARBURETOR HD18A $34.01

1127 120 0605 CARBURETOR HD21A $34.01

1127 120 0650 CARBURETOR HD19A $67.99

Here is the manual, intead of the tool, you can just tap in a coarse thread screw, and yank them out.
Just don't damage the screw underneath.

Thanks, I needed the manual.

Probably be awhile before I get back with repair/service info about the MS290. I'm on another project right now and it is on the back burner.

I think you need to start with the stihl part. Honestly, we would not use one of those things for a chock block. Life is too short to run a ms290. Find a dumpster, wind up, throw it in and walk away laughing.

Back