Get the best out of you bar oil!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darrel Robertson

Reaction score
Hi fellas, I am a newbie here, haven't cut wood for 15 years, now i am back at it again my son just bought some property 30 acres 20 is Fir and Oak, I only burn 3 cords a year, use to be 7-8 in the 80,s and early 90,s I owned Johnsreds, Huskys, and a 488 shindaiwa, a real good friend of mine, I played HS football with , owned and sold saws, so he gave me a very good deal every other year, so i used the best. I Just bought a Makita ea6100 great little saw, I have noticed that the bar oils dont adhere to the bars like they use to unless you crank the adjustment screw all the way out so i use a trick a friend told me about who made a living in the timber world, back in the early 80,s. I use 1 pint of STP to a gallon of bar oil, it now holds to my bar excellent.it did back then and it does now. just thought I would throw this tip out , maybe some of you already do it, I have not seen anyone in here yet that has. Lord Bless.

I ust the cheap stuff that TS sells and I also use my old motor oil that comes from all my other motors after they get new oil. It seems to work just fine and my bars last a very long time. In fact I have only worn out one bar in over ten year of cutting 100+ cords a year. Bars are not that expensive and paying for expensive oil just doesn't seem worth it. If you want it to be tacky just ad some Lucous oil to it. That stuff sticks like glue.

I just got one. Waiting for tusmurna bar to arrive.
cfde04d57a8f9378f2702cf0cf1484da.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Yes sir! I actually picked it up from home depo rental center for 300$ it took me months to find one but well worth it. Im out of town for work for the day but when I get home I definetly will. Also I'm ordering a tsumerna light and tuff bar to put on. It will be georgous

I read some ppl use hydraulic oil and add a little stp to it!
I also read that some ppl, even professionals have been using canola oil, vegetable oil and others for decades with no adverse wear!
So, I’ve been using canola oil ($4 something per gal. at Walmart) the last few weeks, and I can’t tell any difference! My bar and chain doesn’t seem any hotter! I bought a laser temp gun I might check them with!

You mean to tell me ibe been throwing away gallons of good bar oil all these years! Hahaha I literly go through a 50 gallon drum of hydraulic oil per month at work.

I was cutting in colder weather I used lighter bar oil. I was using used motor oil but noticed chunks of metal missing from the rails. I dressed the rails to square them but there life was short. I been using any new affordable bar oil ever since. Or any new clean oil I had on hand. I have five gallon cans of synthetic hydraulic oil.

When TSC dropped husky saws a few years back, they had the husky oil for $2 a gallon. I cleaned them out of what they had left. I think I've still got two 4-gallon cases

That’s odd that TSC dropped selling husky saws when jonsered is going down hill. What brand of saw will they sell when jred is gone?

I notice in any flyer that has huskys for sale in these box stores don’t offer the bigger saws.

Hmm is hydraulic oil and stp as good as stihl? I had some old 15-40 motor oil that was old enough it changed colors. I used it and it was ok. But I felt like I lost bar life for what I do.

Ok! Yesterday evenin, 6-11-19 (I didn’t have much time before dark), but I cut up 4 or 5 tree trunks, 8’-15’ long, 10”-18” in diameter, at around 16” sections! Using my mm’ed, fully adjustable carb, ms170 w/14” 3/8 .050 chain!
I don’t remember how many, but 4-6 tanks of fuel and bar lubricant refills! I went back and forth between TSC bar oil and Walmart Canola oil!
I took my Harbor Freight laser infrared thermometer gun and measured the temps of my bar and chain and muffler after each trunk and after most individual cuts!
The max rpm’s was under 11,000 I believe!
The temps, ranged the same for both lubricants!
(The canola oil possibly was a bit cooler?)
I’m thinkin the bar temp with both lubricants ran from between 130°-160°
A cpl of the trunks had some hollow areas with some wet dody wood, so, I’m going to keep experimenting when I have all solid wood!
It was encouraging/interesting to see that the temps were at least close between the two lubricants!
I wasn’t able to test it with my ms250’s!
NOW, ...even if it proves that the temps run the same between the two...does that mean the “lubricity” and wear and tear are the same??
Will they differ between the two at higher rpm’s on bigger saws??
Further testing and research to ensue!
I would be interested in what others find, with actual temperature readings, instead of just opinions based on “what’s been excepted as the norm”! (Even though those are welcome as well!) ☺️
(I’m going to start this in its own tread!)

Very interesting. You have my attention! Lol

Back