Husqvarna 357xp issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hounder2015

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently got a husky 357xp, from the numbers I found on it I think it's early 2000s. Hasn't been ran in at least 3 or 4 yrs. Everything in the walbro carb was siezed so I bought a cheap carb to put on it. Anyways, the only way I can get it to start is by dumping fuel thru the spark plug hole. It will start after about 5 to 15 pulls, run for 10 to 20 seconds and die. I cleaned the igniter assembly. It has spark but I don't know if it has enough to run?? Removed spark arrestor screen to see it it made a difference, didn't seem to effect anything. I have a few questions.
1. The carb I got for it is ocimocylo, it bolts right up, only thing is there is what looks like an extra fuel line connection next to the adjustment screws? Nothing is hooked up to it.
2. I don't know if the tank is holding pressure, if I disconnect fuel line from carb and blow into it fuel will come out of the line up to the carb, so it's not clogged.
3. Is it possible to have spark, but not enough for it to run?
4. Is there a gas tank vent? I've looked and can't seem to find one. Thanks

Ok as a quick plug I used a piece of fuel hose, and threaded a screw into the end of it. Fired up on the 2nd pull, idled really high for about 15 seconds, then I gave it throttle and it died?

The 357 never had a primer setup, so not sure what the extra line is, impuls or tank vent. I would be check the intake boot clamp, fuel line for a pin hole, tye little impuls line and make sure to replace the fuel filter too. If that all checks out your aftermarket carb is likely the culprit, and common for them to not work right, you get what you pay for most of the time IMHO.[emoji111]

Ok thanks guys. I have not worked on many saws so I'm pretty retarded when it comes to this. So if this carb isn't the right one, but it bolted up just fine, is there something different in the carb that would make it not work for this saw? Dumb question but thanks guys.

I have used the Zama EL42 on a 359 and it worked and still is working just fine. I've heard they won't flow the quantity of fuel that the original walbro carb will.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Ok thanks guys. I have not worked on many saws so I'm pretty retarded when it comes to this. So if this carb isn't the right one, but it bolted up just fine, is there something different in the carb that would make it not work for this saw? Dumb question but thanks guys.
It's probably not the fact that it's the wrong carb(although a 350 carb won't properly fuel a good running 357) that keeps it from running, it's that it's either a bad aftermarket carb or it's not getting fuel because of a bad fuel line or impulse(like the fuel pump on a chainsaw) system. The fact that it runs on fuel delivered directly to the intake but dies when that fuel is consumed makes your issue pretty obvious. Now you just have to figure out why. If this were on my bench(and a few of them have been) I would source a good OEM carb(I prefer the HDA-199 but the EL-42 will work fine), a new OEM fuel line, and pull the intake to replace the plastic clamp with a metal one and inspect/replace the short impulse hose. Don't screw around with aftermarket junk for this. As has been stated already, it's a nice saw and worth the time and monetary investment. Good luck and don't hesitate to stop back with more questions and/or follow up once you get it going.

Actually since I plugged off that extra fuel connection on the carb, I no longer need to dump fuel directly thru intake or spark plug hole to get it to run. But I'll be messing with the saw some more. My girlfriend ordered this carb thinking it was the Zama carb, but I looked at it on Amazon and it says it's a replacement for the Zama carb haha. So it's a Chinese knock off or a Chinese carb. Thanks for all the replies keep them coming like I said I'm new to working on saws. Thanks

Oh and the fuel filter, fuel line, impulse line have all been replaced. I removed the igniter and cleaned the magnetic contacts. Air filter on/off does not make a difference. I took the muffler and head off and saw no scoring just very minor surface scratches which I believe to be ok?? I removed the spark arrestor screen, just to make sure it didn't make a difference.

Does it have a manual decompression? It's the blue button thingy? J/k ..but yeah serious question.
Some are auto and run on vac and have a stem out of the bottom of cylinders and a hose or could have been changed and plugged.
Also have you inspected the clutch? It has all three springs at least?

If that checks out then have you tried any carb tuning yet? You lined the head and intake up correctly? That nipple is your impulse way that indirectly activates the diagram. So it will run and stall also especially if you are not feathering the trigger.

You said it revs high? 1) Is the chain spinning? (racing)
2) does the chain pull forward when you slowly pull the cord? ) 2) Symptom of clutch side issues. Generally a broken spring. You know the history on this saw life? Start with that. Any pics are welcome.
I kinda feel like its cheating...lol
What ever helps.

I can't speak for this AM carb but you can swap the little 346 Walbro carbs on the 357 and feed it and rig up the 357 on the 346 is you have parts from both and a bit of plastic modding I believe I did.

No it's got the manual decomp with blue button. Chain does race after I start it. Chain doesn't spin when pulling the rope. It dies when I try giving it any throttle. After looking into it more, I think it's a carb for a 350??? It might not be pumping enough fuel. Plug is bone dry when I pull it out so it's not flooding, I honestly think it's lack of fuel. Do the carbs for the 350 not put out as much fuel?

If you turn the high and low adjusters out further it will run.
I have no idea if it will adjust far enough the run right tho.
If I had to guess, I'd bet it will adjust far enough to run ok, it's a smaller carb so it doesn't need to flow as much gas anyway.

I've swapped a couple carbs on ported saws, the difference between running and dieing like yours is only about 1/2 a turn on the low adjustment.

I went out and tried backing the adjuster screws out and it made zero difference. So I'm going to be ordering a different carb. And possibly a new gasket for the head since I pulled it a few days ago to get a good look at everything, and yes it was doing this before I pulled it and I already knew I was going to be ordering a new gasket. Where should I order parts from? Keep in mind I don't make money with saws, I will just be using it while hunting to cut stuff out of the way, and once in a while to cut some firewood for camping.

Latest posts

Back