Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure glad you were not working under there. I’m 4th generation Licenesed Arborist. <snip> Every couple years I make a post along these lines. I picked yours because I like your posts, and would miss you if you got crushed. I’d like you to do one thing. Tell every one, if you had of been under that tree when the first “Crack” went off, and looked up instead of running, like most normal people would do, how many steps could you have made before getting hit.

thanks for reading my post, rf. and your wishes! me, too... glad I was not crushed! for, imo... crushed it would have been. :( I am not sure, but I think I would miss me, too! lol

>I’d like you to do one thing.

I have analyzed the timing before u bring it up. to me it was time, u call on steps. I was startled the other day. friend came over. I was engaged in working on a project. he did not announce his presence. I sensed it and was startled. I would say that lasted up to 3/4 of a sec before I registered reality again. if the crack had startled me, I mite do, well-hmm... time or steps. I figure took about .5 seconds to come down. but actually, surveying the path and other related things... maybe a second and a half. (no,, just looked at clock's second hand, definitely less!) but from sitting in house and hearing it, it was over before I could honestly even begin to ask... what was that!? wham, bam thank you ma'....!

how many steps? I have no idea. other than perhaps -0-! your comments are brief, but as a trainer, I assume u are if u deal with less exp arborists... and u say u do... I get the feeling if u think vs react, you could be dead! given u have just heard a 'crack!'. in my circumstance some variables, come into play. and I don't know how any one of them would have affected the outcome. sitting in the house, given the time span of 'start to silence'.... focused on the project, a non tree cutting activity... mindset not geared to dangers of a tree that has been steady as a rock for the past 45 years I have owned it... base is 19' diameter... high probability I would not be typing this!

I can add to my mindset the term 'crack' now, and if I hear a crack... mad dash! but for an arborist, head protection aside... ear protection... widow maker coming down... 'what was that?' syndrome... not sure how anyone could avoid the inevitable if fate has you in a bad place to be. I know this... drop a ton from 25 feet... and see how long it takes to hit the ground... dashing or looking up!

>how many steps could you have made before getting hit.

to be honest, I don't think I can answer that since I have no idea looking up or out if I could react in time...

and thanks for ur input, comments. makes me think on subject in a dif perspective, broader insight. :)

got a front yard full of oak needing to be cut and split... but a scrounge is a scrounge! or is it... a scrounger always scrounges! lol

coming back from errand, friend and I stopped to investigate this pce of oak. we loaded it up... smaller pce... side of road down street from house while walking pups...
PB170014.JPG

and under this across the street...

PB180021.JPG

was this:

PB180022.JPG

it continues to 'rain oak' in my neighborhood. picked it up, walked it across the street... and tossed on the farwood woodpile. I see another neighbor today has couple nice pcs of oak down... well, nice enough to burn in mr Brutus! and , yes! even when 96f out... 'we' have camp fires! :)

the lil pce went straight on to the day's camp fire...

My new bar on my recently “new to me” saw[emoji847][emoji847]

0df3eb4c2312393bb1170c3b1e725c33.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
If I can't find an original bar for one of my big Homelites, I'll always got to an Oregon, that red logo just matches up well with the Homelite red and green paint schemes. Even goes with the blue. Looks good on that Hoosky too.

Today is a day I scheduled off 3 weeks ago so it's raining like heck. Good day to sharpen the chains, lots of ground cutting from the pile in the drop off site. Harbor Freight electric chain grinder works well for me. I don't claim that I am the best but if it pulls down into the wood and cuts with no effort, that works for me. Saw shop guy once told me the dogs on the saw were there to make up for a dull chain. Worked for me this past weekend when I ran into trap rock embedded into some punk wood and wanted to finish cutting before I sharpened the chain.

Looks like a Beast

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Indeed it does, old school muscle no doubt. It runs, just needs a new handle which I think my mate said he may have found on Ebay (bloke who owns it dropped a tree on it) anyway hopefully it will live to play another day. The Bloke who owns it dropped 3 Jreds up that day, one was seized but it's now freed up, the other needed a carb clean I think and this one with the damaged handle, they are tough ol saws alright, mines over 30yrs old and runs like a clock.

Got a different kind of scrounge today. It didnt have anything to do with firewood, or chainsaws, or any of that fun stuff. I aint going to say what it is right away until I get it home. But it does have a 45 hp air cooled diesel engine and a lot of hydraulics, and is supposed to run.

Got a different kind of scrounge today. It didnt have anything to do with firewood, or chainsaws, or any of that fun stuff. I aint going to say what it is right away until I get it home. But it does have a 45 hp air cooled diesel engine and a lot of hydraulics, and is supposed to run.
Pics or it didn't happen :)

sounds like you may have 'scrounged up'... one of them new xMark 100" deck, 45 hp diesel engined mega-mowers. with the bat wings... if so, I say if so... not bad to scrounge up a $35,000.00 mower!!! no doubt they run pretty good! :yes:

:popcorn2:

Tonight's effort with kauri (light) and rimu (dark) woods. I think I might be getting the hang of these dovetails.tricky and time consuming though.
View attachment 741092

nice! what will it be?... jewelry box? or saw small parts bin?....or?

nice! what will it be?... jewelry box? or saw small parts bin?....or?
yeah, jewellery box or whatever the people I'm giving them all to want to do with them. Am very happy with how my second attempt is coming along but it's amazing how much time it takes to make a little box.

Back