Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah, jewellery box or whatever the people I'm giving them all to want to do with them. Am very happy with how my second attempt is coming along but it's amazing how much time it takes to make a little box.

if u can, a pix of finished box would be nice to see. :yes:

Will do. Unless I stuff it up at the eleventh hour and, in a fit of rage and disappointment, the very expensive piece of firewood is launched across the shed to meet its fate against the back wall. Then I'll sulk for a few weeks. It's happened before so hopefully lightening only strikes the same place once.

:)

There was a gentleman on here a while ago posting a video of his word roll piano.

I have to verify this but someone at my work I think is either trying to sell these or give them away.

Interested?

I just don’t want something like this getting thrown away.

6720d792d85845791b357f8aa9491a4d.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

There was a gentleman on here a while ago posting a video of his word roll piano.

I have to verify this but someone at my work I think is either trying to sell these or give them away.

Interested?

I just don’t want something like this getting thrown away.

6720d792d85845791b357f8aa9491a4d.jpg

How are the BTUs in those ?

:D

sounds like you may have 'scrounged up'... one of them new xMark 100" deck, 45 hp diesel engined mega-mowers. with the bat wings... if so, I say if so... not bad to scrounge up a $35,000.00 mower!!! no doubt they run pretty good! :yes:

:popcorn2:
All I am going to say is I didnt buy it for what it is, I bought it for the sum of its parts. It was going to the scrap yard but a little last minute dealing and a bargain was struck. Got to wait on the owner of the 51,000lb track hoe to lift it up and put it on my trailer. I tried to jump the engine off but couldnt get it to turn over, tires are flat, hyd cyls are extended, and its heavier than a batwing mower.

I scored a red (?) oak because it was big, pretty much turned people off...probably 40 feet long, 32 inches at the base; it was solid from end to end short some ant damage in one limb. She had one other guy show up, and he just took the loose rounds that were already cut...she wasn't happy about that because he told her he would cut it up, then didn't. I did the log weight estimator for the last load, and although this was dead it is still wet; the green log weight was 5400#s for the length and diameter I had in the box...I took two and a half loads out of there.

I also got a line on a guy cutting maple blow downs, all I have to do is show up and load rounds...going after one today.20190604_172553.jpg20190530_133712.jpg20190608_160010.jpg20190608_160020.jpg

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
Our lanfill takes in all the wood cut down by the street dept.. sign a waiver and it yours for the taking.

Well I heard a loud crash behind the house and went to investigate. Found this 20” plus Maple that had broke off about 4’ from stump. I think it is Red Maple but not positive, should be decent to burn. Some rot at the stump end but the upper part of trunk seems solid and somewhat dry.
7db50b081f98e7b14644a93a12873c99.jpg
1d611b68145e5c40bf8bc4066ac8b4fc.jpg
d953ebcf79a592a79f3d7c12e2543e14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liked seeing the wind sock! is it a grass runway just past your wood cutting site?....

Good eyes! Lol. This was at the back of my Dad’s property. The farmer behind him does have a grass runway, as he still sprays his crops.

108baa62b923673a627e5a49f798de62.jpg

86217c83922e707c2e8febf01df834a4.jpg

Cull thru them for repaired ‘starting’ ends or frayed edges.

Then see what the cheapest postage is to zip 64507 for those in usable shape.

And, yes, the above has an electric vacuum pump. [emoji6]

My grandmother had a player piano but only a few rolls. Non electric, you had to pump it as it p layed. Any antique dealer ought to jump on that.

My grandmother had a player piano but only a few rolls. Non electric, you had to pump it as it p layed. Any antique dealer ought to jump on that.

I was hoping the gent that posted a video of his may be interested.

I scored a red (?) oak because it was big, pretty much turned people off...probably 40 feet long, 32 inches at the base; it was solid from end to end short some ant damage in one limb. She had one other guy show up, and he just took the loose rounds that were already cut...she wasn't happy about that because he told her he would cut it up, then didn't. I did the log weight estimator for the last load, and although this was dead it is still wet; the green log weight was 5400#s for the length and diameter I had in the box...I took two and a half loads out of there.

I also got a line on a guy cutting maple blow downs, all I have to do is show up and load rounds...going after one today.View attachment 741308View attachment 741309View attachment 741310View attachment 741311

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Sweet :sweet:! Can't believe someone went and posted pics of an actual scrounge, ain't what this thread is for. :dumb:

Well I heard a loud crash behind the house and went to investigate. Found this 20” plus Maple that had broke off about 4’ from stump. I think it is Red Maple but not positive, should be decent to burn. Some rot at the stump end but the upper part of trunk seems solid and somewhat dry.
7db50b081f98e7b14644a93a12873c99.jpg
1d611b68145e5c40bf8bc4066ac8b4fc.jpg
d953ebcf79a592a79f3d7c12e2543e14.jpg

Looks great!

Our QRS connection was down in Raytown, Mo., a suburb of KC. Hadn’t bought any rolls in years.

Flea markets & antique shops have old rolls priced well above new ones. Usually not worth a ****.

What I’d like to see is the piano/machine that makes the master roll. [emoji848]

Usually a noted artist, Billy Joel for example, plays and the machine copies.

Back