Options for a cheap, lightweight, (vintage?) backup/trim saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW51

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My title describes the “need”/ justified want. Add “reliable” to that wish list as well. Also something to scratch my mechanical tinkering itch.

I’ve got several acres of woods to manage and invested in my first pro level saw last year, a m362cm. I like it a lot. However, I don’t currently have a 2nd saw to get me out of a jam. And as light as the the 362 is, it’s way overkill for a lot of the jobs I need to do. There’s a bunch of timber stand improvement type of work that is thinning about a zillion <6” hard maple and variety of other stuff.

I’d really like to spend $100ish or less. Understand I may not be able to check all the wishlist boxes. Here are some things I’ve considered perusing the local CL sites and such:

1) Homelite Super EZ - probably checks all the boxes on the list. Light for a vintage saw. Seems to be highly regarded. Understand that reliability is highly dependent on condition. I like to tinker anyway, but assuming you could make a pretty dependable saw if you have solid internals.

2) MS170/180 - tons of these around. Could wait for the right deal to come around and muffler mod and install the adjustable Walbro carb and have a lightweight saw that might cut decently.

3) McCulloch 10-10 variants - I have a soft spot for Macs since that’s what Dad ran when I was a kid. Although I see them described as light, the specs don’t appear to line up with that. Maybe they “feel” lighter than their actual weight?

4) Husqvarna 345/350 family- I see them for sale regularly. Nice platform for some tinkering with performance mods.

5) Dolmar/Makita 420/421/4300 - Don’t very often see a used one for sale. And if I did, it would likely be in a different price range.

What other saws should I be considering? Or are there saws on my current list I should scratch off the list?

I would get a used ms170 or a used dolmar ps-34. If you decide on the ms180 I would buy an adjustable carb for it and do a muffler mod. The ps-34 already has an adjustable carb but can also benefit from a muffler mod. I've had both of these saws and they are hard to beat for their size and weight. Both can be had pretty cheap too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I hadn’t really considered the ps-34 for some reason. Are those plastic case saws? Or magnesium like the ps-420/421?

I hadn’t really considered the ps-34 for some reason. Are those plastic case saws? Or magnesium like the ps-420/421?
Plastic like the ms170, but I think it's fine for light duty occasional use. I've personally never had issues with plastic case saws as long as they are used as intended. Keeping them clean and maintaining a sharp chain goes a long ways too.

Plastic like the ms170, but I think it's fine for light duty occasional use. I've personally never had issues with plastic case saws as long as they are used as intended. Keeping them clean and maintaining a sharp chain goes a long ways too.

Yeah, I’m not opposed to plastic. Just want something that will perform and hold up.

Good grief, I had no idea there were so many different model numbers of the Makita/Dolmar once you get smaller than the 420/421 series. It’s pretty confusing.

Also dolmar 109/111/115 can be found cheap and for less money 112 are cheaper but older ..

Envoyé de mon Core-X3 en utilisant Tapatalk

I have a Mac 10-10 and a Homelite Super EZ. I have not ran any of the other saws you mentioned. I like both the 10-10 and Super EZ. The SEZ is pretty stout IMO for a 40cc saw and runs full 3/8 pitch chain. I enjoy running it.

Have you looked at a small Echo, light and can be made to run with a muffler mod. If I want something light weight for some fast work, I always grab my cs400 before I grab one of my heavy vintage saws. I do have a some top handle Poulans but they are pretty loud.

Steve

of the saws on ur list, the 350 platform will probably be the most satifying. as you said, pretty cheap, and with mods/cylinder swap, you have a fairly modern, relatively cheap saw with lots of potential. maybe not the cheapest on ur list to get done up right, but imo the best option

Like Cus_D said, satisfyling. I just picked up a 345 for $25 and all it needed was the metallic clamp to replace the plastic one. With a mild muffler mod, it is just about like a 350 in my hands. Don

* I haven’t seen a 345/350 for the right price yet. I’ve seen a couple in the $150 range but I think I can find one for way less of I’m patient. I’d probably already own one if I saw one cheap.

* I love the look of the super EZ. So cool. I do wonder if tripping around the woods with no chainbrake is a great idea. But I’m just a lover of old stuff in general.

* I rarely ever see a Dolmar for sale in my area. Must not have been any dealers around. But I’d like to have one.

* the Ms170 is on sale new through end of month for $160. Yet folks still list them used on CL for $150-$175.

* How about a Husq 440 with a bar oil leak for $70? Saw that today.

The older the saw is, parts start getting scarce, plus something may be ready to go. Get a newer model saw that's (light) with a good parts availability. With as much cutting you say you have to do, something under 10 lbs. would be the route with a 14 to 16" bar. Your back will thank you.

Steve

* I love the look of the super EZ. So cool. I do wonder if tripping around the woods with no chainbrake is a great idea. But I’m just a lover of old stuff in general.

They do look cool and certain things like how the manual Oiler override button is placed at an upward angle right at your thumb tells that they were thinking about things when they built it.

Obviously the chain brake could be an issue for some but I have found since it has no brake I am just more careful when I walk around and there has been times where I had to walk through a crap heap of trash and I just switched it off. Then fired it back up. I guess it just makes you more aware and do things a little different sometimes.

They do look cool and certain things like how the manual Oiler override button is placed at an upward angle right at your thumb tells that they were thinking about things when they built it.

Obviously the chain brake could be an issue for some but I have found since it has no brake I am just more careful when I walk around and there has been times where I had to walk through a crap heap of trash and I just switched it off. Then fired it back up. I guess it just makes you more aware and do things a little different sometimes.

I see you own a 10-10 as well. How do the EZ and 10-10 compare in how light they FEEL? Specs say the 10-10 is considerably heavier.

I've got a Homelite top handle with two triggers that I love. Bandit? XL? Don't tell the safety police, but it works great using it with one hand. I've gotten a few of them for less than $50 ea.

I see you own a 10-10 as well. How do the EZ and 10-10 compare in how light they FEEL? Specs say the 10-10 is considerably heavier.

The 10-10 feels quite a bit heavier but it’s not THAT bad. With that said if I had a day where I was just going out doing trim work I would grab the SEZ as it does feel quite a bit lighter and easier to flick around.

There’s a sale on right now with Stihl ms170 for I believe is $149. I have a few pioneer partner 400 saws they sound good too. These can be found between $100/$200. See what’s on sale new with the 4th holiday coming up. See what TSC has on sale?

A one hand top handle saw I’d look at mcculloch eager beaver for around $100?

Attachments

• 2CED18BE-3B9C-453D-96A0-976547A80AA9.jpeg
    2CED18BE-3B9C-453D-96A0-976547A80AA9.jpeg
    658.6 KB · Views: 10
  • F4B98A2C-1408-4BBA-8FBD-D9B23F894BBD.jpeg
    F4B98A2C-1408-4BBA-8FBD-D9B23F894BBD.jpeg
    683.2 KB · Views: 11
Back