Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I heard a loud crash behind the house and went to investigate. Found this 20” plus Maple that had broke off about 4’ from stump. I think it is Red Maple but not positive, . .
Looks like a 'dead' maple to me!
Lucky no one was out there when it fell.

Philbert

O*P*E Theatre Aisle at Home Depot

Scanning the shelves looking for something when 3 customers come by (and miraculously
a store employee!). A play in three acts.

Customer #1 (a tall guy with a big, booming voice, accompanied by a silent woman): You got any STIHL (pronounced 'still')!?
Employee: ACE Hardware.
Customer #1: You don' have STIHL? Why not?
Employee: STIHL won't sell through Home Depot.
Customer #1: Gotta be STIHL! (never specified if he was looking for a saw, string trimmer, leaf blower, . . . ).

Customer #2 Man: (man and woman, assumed to be married) 'She' needs a new string trimmer. Gotta be gas.
Employee: Have you thought about battery?
Customer #2 Man: We tried some battery stuff, it was junk.
Me: What brand?
Customer #2 Man: Craftsman. Batteries did not last at all.
Customer #2 Woman: And it's gotta be a straight shaft. My son-in-law does landscaping and says straight shaft trimmers are better.
Me: I am not that tall (she is a couple of inches shorter) and find that the bent shaft trimmers are more comfortable for shorter people (Employee and I demonstrate how it affects posture).
Customer #2 Woman: Nah, my son-in-law will kill me if I don't buy a straight shaft trimmer.

Customer #3: I'm gonna try a cheap electric chainsaw. See if they work.
Me: (after showing him that the cost of a bar and chain is almost as much as the saw he is considering, and mentioning how HD sells Homelite electric chainsaws, but rents Makitas) You know the phrase ' you get what you pay for', right?
Customer #3: I just want a cheap saw.

Philbert

All I am going to say is I didnt buy it for what it is, I bought it for the sum of its parts. It was going to the scrap yard but a little last minute dealing and a bargain was struck. Got to wait on the owner of the 51,000lb track hoe to lift it up and put it on my trailer. I tried to jump the engine off but couldnt get it to turn over, tires are flat, hyd cyls are extended, and its heavier than a batwing mower.
Well this deal changed in a hurry. I had a funeral to attend today at 2pm. After the funeral, I was supposed to get with the trackhoe operator so he could load the item on my trailer. Right before I was supposed to go to the funeral home, I got a call from a lady wanting to look at my house. Well She was close and I still had a few minutes so I told her to come on over. After a quick walk thru, showed her the property lines, well pointed at them, didnt actually walk them and she started to dicker on price. I told her I had already gave a price and it was a firm take it or leave it price. Said she would think about it and let me know. OK. I headed to the funeral home and to attend the services. When I got home I called the trackhoe guy about loading the equipment, no answer so I left message. Hung up and my phone rang, it was the potential buyer calling. She agreed to my price, uh oh! She has cash and wanting to move in by July. No way! I have been planning to start on my new home in about 3 months, havent even cleared the lot yet. So a few more details still have to be worked out because I told her when I priced the house I would only sale if I was allowed to rent after closing while I built my new home. She wants to meet and discuss terms so I guess I will work with her to occupy the house as long as I can store my tools and stuff in the sheds and shop for a little while. Looks like I might have to move into MIL house for a little while, but my son is in the process of trying to get a loan to buy it so that would be temporary at best.

What does this have to do with the scrounge, well, it looks like I wont have time for another project, or anyplace to work on it, so I told the trackhoe guy to just load it with the other scrap he was going to hual off. The item I was buying was a used 3500 series ditchwitch with an A222 backhoe attachment. I was supposed to give $300 for it and hual it off. I basicly just wanted it for the outriggers off the backhoe, but I had plans for the dueltz engine, if it ran, and a few other parts. The trencher looked to be a 4ft model and had little wear. Could have probably sold parts and made my money back.

Well this deal changed in a hurry. I had a funeral to attend today at 2pm. After the funeral, I was supposed to get with the trackhoe operator so he could load the item on my trailer. Right before I was supposed to go to the funeral home, I got a call from a lady wanting to look at my house. Well She was close and I still had a few minutes so I told her to come on over. After a quick walk thru, showed her the property lines, well pointed at them, didnt actually walk them and she started to dicker on price. I told her I had already gave a price and it was a firm take it or leave it price. Said she would think about it and let me know. OK. I headed to the funeral home and to attend the services. When I got home I called the trackhoe guy about loading the equipment, no answer so I left message. Hung up and my phone rang, it was the potential buyer calling. She agreed to my price, uh oh! She has cash and wanting to move in by July. No way! I have been planning to start on my new home in about 3 months, havent even cleared the lot yet. So a few more details still have to be worked out because I told her when I priced the house I would only sale if I was allowed to rent after closing while I built my new home. She wants to meet and discuss terms so I guess I will work with her to occupy the house as long as I can store my tools and stuff in the sheds and shop for a little while. Looks like I might have to move into MIL house for a little while, but my son is in the process of trying to get a loan to buy it so that would be temporary at best.

What does this have to do with the scrounge, well, it looks like I wont have time for another project, or anyplace to work on it, so I told the trackhoe guy to just load it with the other scrap he was going to hual off. The item I was buying was a used 3500 series ditchwitch with an A222 backhoe attachment. I was supposed to give $300 for it and hual it off. I basicly just wanted it for the outriggers off the backhoe, but I had plans for the dueltz engine, if it ran, and a few other parts. The trencher looked to be a 4ft model and had little wear. Could have probably sold parts and made my money back.
Of mice and men.
Good luck with it all.
I look forward to the new house build thread when you get to that part.
Perhaps a few tree and building GTG's at your place are in order?

A bit sideways here but one of the retirement dreams is forming a nutcase collective of old fogies, AKA grey army, to travel the country in our maggots (slow white things AKA motor homes) and build or renovate homes for the genuinely needy. Get to see the country, give a bit back to next generations, meet some fellow nutters. What could possibly go wrong?

Of mice and men.
Good luck with it all.
I look forward to the new house build thread when you get to that part.
Perhaps a few tree and building GTG's at your place are in order?

A bit sideways here but one of the retirement dreams is forming a nutcase collective of old fogies, AKA grey army, to travel the country in our maggots (slow white things AKA motor homes) and build or renovate homes for the genuinely needy. Get to see the country, give a bit back to next generations, meet some fellow nutters. What could possibly go wrong?
I'll have to start my own thread once I get started. I have about a 1000ft of road to clear and build. I have done a lot of preliminary planning and have been working on the house plan for 40 years. Looks like I have to start really getting serious. We have laid the road out twice already and I didnt like the way it turned out either time. Will probably give it another try first of next week. I want to try and keep it all on one long gradual slope. I made a 75ft long water level a few weeks ago. I have the county maps showing the topo of the area. Its still just a guess as to actual distance and elevation change. I figure to go over it once with the water level to get the actual elevation change and then graph out amount of slope and distance, then flag out the center of the road based on the graph. I am shooting for 3% slope, but figure it might be as much as 5%. Still not real steep.

Well no snow this week so decided to go up high for some “easy” wood.
Sun rise on the way outE51E274B-D40E-457C-96D6-A11DA4EA95BF.jpegMade it to my spot no trouble, fell a few dead lodge pole bucked them up with the 550A3781790-C2A0-41C1-ABE4-DBE6D9EE3643.jpegPerfect size for the log tongs, so handy, wouldn’t want to be without them now.8AA0B6D1-786C-49B7-BF72-394CC84EB6C8.jpegAll loaded, wash up a bit and cool off in the creek then head back down the hill. AB427B06-4187-45A9-BD19-F21A607963C5.jpeg Most people don’t really like lodge pole pine as well as read fir but I get similar if not longer burn times with it. It does build up more ash though.

Attachments

• 5389894A-6844-47C6-BC82-6DED3310B32F.jpeg
    5389894A-6844-47C6-BC82-6DED3310B32F.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 9
Sun rise on the way outView attachment 741427Made it to my spot no trouble, fell a few dead lodge pole bucked them up with the 550View attachment 741431Perfect size for the log tongs, so handy, wouldn’t want to be without them now.View attachment 741428All loaded, wash up a bit and cool off in the creek then head back down the hill. View attachment 741432 Most people don’t really like lodge pole pine as well as read fir but I get similar if not longer burn times with it. It does build up more ash though.
That is some sweet country.

All I am going to say is I didnt buy it for what it is, I bought it for the sum of its parts. It was going to the scrap yard but a little last minute dealing and a bargain was struck. Got to wait on the owner of the 51,000lb track hoe to lift it up and put it on my trailer. I tried to jump the engine off but couldnt get it to turn over, tires are flat, hyd cyls are extended, and its heavier than a batwing mower.

well, in any event... I am sure all the 'secretatives'.... are warranted!

:rolleyes:

Sun rise on the way outView attachment 741427Made it to my spot no trouble, fell a few dead lodge pole bucked them up with the 550View attachment 741431Perfect size for the log tongs, so handy, wouldn’t want to be without them now.View attachment 741428All loaded, wash up a bit and cool off in the creek then head back down the hill. View attachment 741432 Most people don’t really like lodge pole pine as well as read fir but I get similar if not longer burn times with it. It does build up more ash though.

looks like some good deer hunting country! reminds me of Oregon deer hunting... but where's the pix of the creek? lol

Back