Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your looking for cheap but decent double bit then here ya go,,, its from down under so the post $$ cost may be issue

I was throwin one i got last weekend & its ok needs a trim of handle length to tune rotation and a hone to get better edge but for me $75 beans is great value for something i just chuck about & can break handle with miss cue shot pretty dang fast

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Unbrand...m42004d5ad0:g:LpsAAOSwb21czTYS&frcectupt=true

thumbnail_IMG_20190508_131313.jpg

if your looking for cheap but decent double bit then here ya go,,, its from down under so the post $$ cost may be issue

I was throwin one i got last weekend & its ok needs a trim of handle length to tune rotation and a hone to get better edge but for me $75 beans is great value for something i just chuck about & can break handle with miss cue shot pretty dang fast

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Unbrand...m42004d5ad0:g:LpsAAOSwb21czTYS&frcectupt=true

View attachment 735920
The space between the growth rings are amazing, looks to be more than an inch per year.

BFC75697-172B-4209-86E2-1052020EE4F3.jpeg image.jpg Wow! How am I just now finding this thread?
I started messing around with an old axe head I found at our hunting camp back in the winter and quickly became addicted. So far I’ve just dug out the remnants of the old handle and started cleaning up and resharpening it. Anyone know roughly how old this head may be? Also looking for a source of good handles in southern Ontario if anybody knows of any.

Also jump started my collection rather aggressively at a local flea market this past weekend. Probably paid too much but I believe these are all quality heads.
The splitting maul is a mystery to me. Looks brand new but obviously poorly mounted on a sledge hammer type handle. Wouldn’t it have came from Gransfors Bruk already mounted. Doesn’t look like it’s had enough use to have gone through the original handle.

Attachments

• A1AE36A0-57BC-4535-819D-DA3676074E69.jpeg
    A1AE36A0-57BC-4535-819D-DA3676074E69.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21
  • DEC53F1B-7348-4975-A014-7F957009581D.jpeg
    DEC53F1B-7348-4975-A014-7F957009581D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
  • AEE20968-66CE-4111-BB35-189545E2D263.jpeg
    AEE20968-66CE-4111-BB35-189545E2D263.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 8F721149-2892-4847-8F40-F55DA5A37E93.jpeg
    8F721149-2892-4847-8F40-F55DA5A37E93.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 543E4A29-4685-404A-A6E8-02EF328B02F9.jpeg
    543E4A29-4685-404A-A6E8-02EF328B02F9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 56061D8F-959A-4C73-AEC7-3E646AEE1339.jpeg
    56061D8F-959A-4C73-AEC7-3E646AEE1339.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 3D97D301-2FE1-4728-8C6E-6D54AD79A48D.jpeg
    3D97D301-2FE1-4728-8C6E-6D54AD79A48D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 56DE3DEF-5DA7-4042-AAFC-9A1062CB8E54.jpeg
    56DE3DEF-5DA7-4042-AAFC-9A1062CB8E54.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
View attachment 739888 View attachment 739893 Wow! How am I just now finding this thread?
I started messing around with an old axe head I found at our hunting camp back in the winter and quickly became addicted. So far I’ve just dug out the remnants of the old handle and started cleaning up and resharpening it. Anyone know roughly how old this head may be? Also looking for a source of good handles in southern Ontario if anybody knows of any.

Not sure if the age, but if I were to guess I'd say mid 70's era. That's a nice Wetterlings axe! Check with @dancan — he's part of the brain trust in here for Swedish finds in Canada.

Well , TheStihlSlinger , you suck , but I mean that with respect lol
Awesome score there !
I'd agree with Multifaceted about 70's vintage on the HB and the first Wetterlings , I believe the second one is newer .
The GB doesn't make much sense , maybe someone bought a new one , swing and a miss resulting in a broken handle , was going to rehandle but died in a horrific lawnbowling accident before he could get it finished ?

Well , TheStihlSlinger , you suck , but I mean that with respect lol
Awesome score there !
I'd agree with Multifaceted about 70's vintage on the HB and the first Wetterlings , I believe the second one is newer .
The GB doesn't make much sense , maybe someone bought a new one , swing and a miss resulting in a broken handle , was going to rehandle but died in a horrific lawnbowling accident before he could get it finished ?
Definitely the funniest scenario I’ve heard!
Thanks guys

Tired of searching for handles that meet the requisite needs for a particular project, paying retail and shipping costs, all while rolling the dice on grain runout - only to spend an hour or more carving down and shaping the handle to my liking.

Picked up a 9' board of 8/4 Hickory with good grain orientation and runout, and virtually no visible knots. Been meaning to start making my own handles, plus it's my ONLY option to complete my vintage Hults Bruk collared axe.

zXyqFu3.jpg

KKMRIbL.jpg

NLHmPOt.jpg

It's more of a I want it and need it now, won't buy any more after this. The main thing is this board is already dried, little worries about warping or splitting. I should get around eight 30" handles with choice grain selection from this board, plenty enough for me to acquire more timber, knowledge and skill to make my own boards or receive them. I still need to learn to mill, got my own and everything!

Ever since my knee has been feeling good, I've been trying to keep up with the yard and taming the woods — plus split all my wood for 2020, AND complete a cord of axe-cut wood for the Axe Cordwood Challenge. It's a constant juggling and balancing act trying to do all of that, spend time with muh wife, and keep up with my other hobbies that compete for my time and attention — like brewing beer, for example!

I need more time, or longer days... at least I have something to look forward to when I retire, if I ever retire...

Tired of searching for handles that meet the requisite needs for a particular project, paying retail and shipping costs, all while rolling the dice on grain runout - only to spend an hour or more carving down and shaping the handle to my liking.

Picked up a 9' board of 8/4 Hickory with good grain orientation and runout, and virtually no visible knots. Been meaning to start making my own handles, plus it's my ONLY option to complete my vintage Hults Bruk collared axe.

zXyqFu3.jpg

zXyqFu3.jpg

KKMRIbL.jpg

NLHmPOt.jpg
Very nice! Do you know what type of hickory that is? Or what type is best for handles? I have a Bitternut hickory log about 15 feet long and 40” across that I cut down about 3 years ago. I have been thinking of milling it down for handle blanks as I’m experiencing the same lack of quality handles. We only have 2 types of hickory up here (Bitternut and Shagbark) I have access to both but don’t know which is best.

Very nice! Do you know what type of hickory that is? Or what type is best for handles? I have a Bitternut hickory log about 15 feet long and 40” across that I cut down about 3 years ago. I have been thinking of milling it down for handle blanks as I’m experiencing the same lack of quality handles. We only have 2 types of hickory up here (Bitternut and Shagbark) I have access to both but don’t know which is best.

No idea, the lumber yard just said it was 8/4 hickory, it looked like hickory to me, and had the best grain orientation a lot. From what I can gather there is no preference to type of hickory that I'm aware of. I would think that one that grows slow and big are ideal as they works have tighter and wide growth rings. Yep, around here it's shagbark and pignut, loss of it, but on my modest woodlot with all of my ash dying and now my red oaks, I only cut down live trees if absolutely necessary.

Back