Tree ID Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose it changes from area to area but every slippery elm I have cut the dark heartwood is out almost all the way to the bark where the american is smaller like the pics.

For the OP, since you have some of the leaves... Are they rough or smooth on top? American Elm will be smooth, and slippery elm will be rough.

05cd06aee8d99ddc72146d263cfde96f.jpg
They have a very slight roughness to them. Compared to some Green Ash saplings where they feel slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have a very slight roughness to them. Compared to some Green Ash saplings where they feel slick.

Slippery elm is quite rough on top, so I'd have to say these are American Elm leaves. The cross section, from what I can see, has rings of white tissue just under the brown bark layer, and only American Elm has that.

Now, if Whitespider was still on this board, he would post some better pics of the different elm species. Maybe try to search for his older posts. See post #112 in the link below for some good pics of American elm.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/elm-this-and-elm-that.184122/page-6#post-6018340

I think it was the summer of 68 that my job was washing down all of the chain and hand saws that came in contact with any Elms we were removing. I was 12, and Dad's company had the contract to remove dead Elms in DC. About 15 years ago, when my son was in the Scouts, we had a big American Elm down by one of the streams on the Scout property. I've seen a few others, all by streams.

I think it was the summer of 68 that my job was washing down all of the chain and hand saws that came in contact with any Elms we were removing. I was 12, and Dad's company had the contract to remove dead Elms in DC. About 15 years ago, when my son was in the Scouts, we had a big American Elm down by one of the streams on the Scout property. I've seen a few others, all by streams.

My dad had a business that did the same in DC. Ever heard of Sloan’s Tree Service?

My dad had a business that did the same in DC. Ever heard of Sloan’s Tree Service?

Sloan's doesn't ring a bell. Dad worked for American Tree then. He later owned Olney Tree and his brother owned Bonifant's tree. I'll ask my cousin, he's 8 years older than me.

Elm for sure, lots of it around here. And someone said, nasty splitting, stringiest wood I’ve ever seen, keep a hatchet handy at the splitter. Is a good burning wood. All those wood strings really help it catch fire.

05cd06aee8d99ddc72146d263cfde96f.jpg

Elm leaf is fatter than Ash, which is a slim leaf.
Both are compound, but it's very easy to tell the difference if you know what characteristics to look for, even from a distance

Back